Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 25 2013, 11:36 PM   #1
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Earth and Qo'nos - how did you them imagine them back then?

The Best of Trek has a fascinating article by Leslie Thompson about the Klingon homeworld and culture. Published in 1974 it long pre-dates what we learned (and what was changed) about the Klingon Empire and their world in the movies and subsequent Trek series. It's a fascinating read. I wish a similar article speculating about 23rd century Earth had been published.

What do you think future-Earth would have been like if they'd visited during The Original Series? Much like the Earth of 1966-69, or something completely different? Is the version you imagine while watching TOS anything like what we saw in The Motion Picture, or Roddenberry's earlier Phase II concepts, or even what we see in the Star Trek Into Darkness trailers?
Old March 25 2013, 11:50 PM   #2
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

Re: Earth and Qo'nos - how did you them imagine them back then?

Honestly, considering the budget, had they visited future Earth, we might have gotten a shot of New York (or other major city), overlaid with a matte painting similar to the one used for "A Taste of Armageddon." Had we met any civilians, they'd be wearing orange or red jumpsuit, or Commissioner Ferris' duds. So, my answer would be, in keeping with the look and budget of TOS, and not resembling TMP or Phase II.

Sir Rhosis

Read "Origins" at http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/articles/origins.htm
Sir Rhosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 12:12 AM   #3
Dantheman
Lieutenant Commander

Sir Rhosis wrote: View Post
Honestly, considering the budget, had they visited future Earth, we might have gotten a shot of New York (or other major city), overlaid with a matte painting similar to the one used for "A Taste of Armageddon." Had we met any civilians, they'd be wearing orange or red jumpsuit, or Commissioner Ferris' duds. So, my answer would be, in keeping with the look and budget of TOS, and not resembling TMP or Phase II.

Sir Rhosis
They could've gone even cheaper and go the Irwin Allen Lost In Space route and portrayed 23rd century Earth like the 1960s, with little to no advancements in technology.
Dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 12:09 PM   #4
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Sir Rhosis wrote: View Post
Honestly, considering the budget, had they visited future Earth, we might have gotten a shot of New York (or other major city), overlaid with a matte painting similar to the one used for "A Taste of Armageddon."
There would have been a shot of Earth from space (without clouds naturally), cut to a image/painting of a large city (New York?) from a distance, cut to an interior scene.

We saw Human civilian wear in The Conscience Of The King, in the cocktail party scene. But that might have been considered semi-formal or evening wear.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 02:27 PM   #5
Admiral

I suspect a matte painting of a futuristic city, with a few recognizable landmarks, then cut to the location used for Deneva in "Operation: Annihilate!"

Re-use lots of costumes on extras. And maybe have the most futuristic-looking car they can get ahold of drive by.
Old March 26 2013, 02:55 PM   #6
Redfern
Commodore

If civilian businessmen were to be depicted, a refitting of the the suits worn by Baris and Darvin from "...Tribbles" might be employed.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 03:01 PM   #7
Gojira
Commodore

How the Earth looked in the 23rd Century would have looked similar to how it was depicted in The Cage if that had shown the earth more in the original run of the series. I am very happy Into Darkness will give us some good looks at the earth of the future.
Old March 26 2013, 03:28 PM   #8
Admiral

Gojira wrote: View Post
How the Earth looked in the 23rd Century would have looked similar to how it was depicted in The Cage if that had shown the earth more in the original run of the series. I am very happy Into Darkness will give us some good looks at the earth of the future.
I completely forgot about the Mojave scene from The Cage!!

Here's a shot from "The Cage"
Old March 26 2013, 03:37 PM   #9
Timo
Admiral

...The implication then would seem to be that an establishing shot of New York should display a jungle, and a similar shot of Cairo should offer us a view of glaciers!

If the future is so bright that Mojave is green and urbanized, then these people probably have tech/resources to burn, and use them for fairly esoteric purposes, such as creating a ski resort next to the Great Pyramids.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 03:41 PM   #10
Gojira
Commodore

King Daniel wrote: View Post

Is that from the original or rremastered version? I think the city in the remastered version is lsightly different.
Old March 26 2013, 03:55 PM   #11
Timo
Admiral

The matte in that original pic is identical to the one we see in the remastered version (even if it may have been achieved by different means); the only real visual difference is that HD shows the seams in the fake grass on the foreground somewhat more clearly...

Timo Saloniemi
Old March 26 2013, 04:05 PM   #12
Admiral

Is that from the original or rremastered version? I think the city in the remastered version is lsightly different.
Here is the remastered version. They replaced the matte painting with a CG extension. Lots more glassland, the city much further back and made of taller, further-spaced skyscrapers.
Old March 26 2013, 04:08 PM   #13
Timo
Admiral

Wow, what's with the TrekCore index? I got the entire wrong images there in my HD search...

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...cagehd1374.jpg

Did that prettier CG creation perhaps actually go unused in the remastering?

If not, then please completely ignore what I said earlier.

Timo Saloniemi
Old March 26 2013, 05:18 PM   #14
Gojira
Commodore

Here is the remastered version. They replaced the matte painting with a CG extension. Lots more glassland, the city much further back and made of taller, further-spaced skyscrapers.
I like both, but I have to say I like the remastered better. The perspective of disatance make more logical sense.

In the distance in the remastered version some of the buildings look like what we have seen from Into Darkness. Very similar styles.

Old March 26 2013, 08:44 PM   #15
Redfern
Commodore

The original backdrop painting in "The Cage" gives me the impression there is some kind of "drop" beyond the immediate grassy region and the city rises from some valley or canyon region beyond. Plus, there is a light source radiating within that "canyon" that is bright enough to make the underside of the structures look lighter than their upper surfaces.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote