Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old March 25 2013, 11:35 PM   #1
Shilliam Watner
Commander

The Genesis Torpedo Should Have Tipped Over When Reliant Was Blasted

At the end when the Enterprise sneaks up behind Reliant in the Mutara Nebula and opens fire on her blasting the photon torpedo launcher and blowing her port nacelle off, the visible shaking of the ship was apparent. But when Khan a few moments later activates the Genesis Torpedo, it's standing upright on the transporter pad. Apparently it had been there all along since they beamed it out of the Genesis cave. Prior to the final assault on the Reliant, the device should have tipped over due to all the shaking and vibrations from the phaser blasts hitting the bridge and blowing out the impulse engine blue dome. It also should have tipped over when they entered the nebula because the crew members, especially one, lost his balance and fell into Khan. Don't you agree?

Last edited by Shilliam Watner; March 26 2013 at 12:04 AM.
Shilliam Watner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 11:37 PM   #2
anh165
Commander

Re: The Genesis Torpedo Should Have Tipped Over When Reliant Was Blast

It was a good movie, dont rock the boat.
anh165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 11:40 PM   #3
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

It had proto-matter powered inertial dampeners. It didn't feel a thing
Old March 25 2013, 11:55 PM   #4
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

Bottom heavy. Lower center of gravity.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 12:05 AM   #5
Shilliam Watner
Commander

anh165 wrote: View Post
LOL........just trying to get logical scientific answers as to why it didn't tip over.
Shilliam Watner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 01:01 AM   #6
FKnight
Commander

Every time I see that scene, I swear Khan's about to go off on that guy that almost fell into him. I always imagine that after the scene cuts back to the exterior view, Khan busts out with "How dare you touch me!" You can see it in the look on his face, watch.
"You have been examined. Your ship must be destroyed. We make assumption you have a deity, or deities, or some such beliefs which comfort you. We therefore grant you ten Earth time periods known as minutes to make preparations."
FKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 10:03 AM   #7
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Easy. Khan's baby held it up! Big rattle for a super baby!

Khan's baby by Therin of Andor, on Flickr
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 10:14 AM   #8
Timo
Admiral

One intriguing characteristic of "inertial damping" aboard starships we witness a lot in TOS and the later shows is that even if one part of the ship shakes, not every part needs to.

This makes a weird sort of sense. The damping is supposedly achieved by projecting some sort of a stabilizing field, and we have seen that artificial gravity fields are specific to individual rooms. Just because the field on Main Bridge is getting a punishment doesn't mean that the field on Sickbay would fail to a similar degree and leave McCoy with a floor covered in broken glass, or that the field on Transporter Room Four would let the Genesis Device tip over.

Another possible explanation for the fact that bottles never fall from tables even when Ensigns fly across the Bridge is that certain horizontal surfaces, shelves etc. have their own low-level gripping fields. Enough to stop a 1.1 kg bottle, nowhere near enough to hold still a 100 kg Security goon. Naturally, the Genesis Device would have such a gripper of its own, increasing the efficacy and providing stability even in demanding conditions.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 01:38 PM   #9
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

Shilliam Watner wrote: View Post
At the end when the Enterprise sneaks up behind Reliant in the Mutara Nebula and opens fire on her blasting the photon torpedo launcher and blowing her port nacelle off, the visible shaking of the ship was apparent. But when Khan a few moments later activates the Genesis Torpedo, it's standing upright on the transporter pad. Apparently it had been there all along since they beamed it out of the Genesis cave. Prior to the final assault on the Reliant, the device should have tipped over due to all the shaking and vibrations from the phaser blasts hitting the bridge and blowing out the impulse engine blue dome. It also should have tipped over when they entered the nebula because the crew members, especially one, lost his balance and fell into Khan. Don't you agree?
There it is. We've officially hit rock bottom on "things that demand an explanation" in Star Trek.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 03:46 PM   #10
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Timo wrote: View Post
One intriguing characteristic of "inertial damping" aboard starships we witness a lot in TOS and the later shows is that even if one part of the ship shakes, not every part needs to.

This makes a weird sort of sense. The damping is supposedly achieved by projecting some sort of a stabilizing field, and we have seen that artificial gravity fields are specific to individual rooms. Just because the field on Main Bridge is getting a punishment doesn't mean that the field on Sickbay would fail to a similar degree and leave McCoy with a floor covered in broken glass, or that the field on Transporter Room Four would let the Genesis Device tip over.

Timo Saloniemi
While keeping those on the bridge in place is important, you can make an argument that Sickbay, Engineering, and the Transporter Rooms would take priority. Sickbay, as you explained, is important, since being rocked about might mean the difference between saving a patient and killing them. Engineering, also, is someplace a slight bump could create catastrophic consequences. And, if the transporter room is needed while the ship is being attacked (assuming, somehow, the ship is being fired upon and the shields are down, at least enough to transport), since someone falling off of the pad would be disastrous, as well.

anh165 wrote: View Post
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 04:06 PM   #11
Timo
Admiral

While keeping those on the bridge in place is important, you can make an argument that Sickbay, Engineering, and the Transporter Rooms would take priority.
Or it could be argued that the damper fields are more effective deep inside the ship, for one of two subtly different reasons:

- radiation or whatnot from the weapons hit won't reach them so easily, as the hit happens at the outer hull, proximal to Bridge but distant from Sickbay; that is, the damage to the field is diluted by distance
- deeper inside the hull, the fields benefit from the buffering of other fields between them and the weapons hit; that is, the shaking is diluted by the multiple fields, even if no field gets damaged more than another

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 07:15 PM   #12
Marsden
Captain

Shawnster wrote: View Post
Bottom heavy. Lower center of gravity.

Really, I think that thing weighs about 100 tons. It's probably sinking into the pad it weighs so much. You don't actually see anybody lifting it, it's too heavy to move, they have a whole planet packed in there. And it's own sun, too. That's heavy duty.

Last edited by Marsden; March 27 2013 at 12:58 PM.
Marsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 01:49 AM   #13
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Shilliam Watner wrote: View Post
Don't you agree?
No.

A Genesis Device is not the same thing as a genetically superior person with a poor sense of balance.

I always assumed it was held in place on the transporter pad by those internal force fields that can be activated seemingly anywhere on a ship.

And as previously mentioned, its weight distribution could be a factor.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 03:55 AM   #14
Navigator_NCC2120
Captain

Well, in the second pilot episode of TOS, Gary Mitchell was unconscious but he was held in place standing on the transporter pad before he was beamed down to Delta Vega. Here is a picture of it. So I suppose Khan used the same feature/function of the transporter to hold the Genesis Torpedo in place as a precaution.

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
/\
Harvey Holroyd: [to himself] God, I miss that show. (Source: "Serial", 1980.)
Navigator_NCC2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 10:33 PM   #15
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Navigator_NCC2120 wrote: View Post
Well, in the second pilot episode of TOS, Gary Mitchell was unconscious but he was held in place standing on the transporter pad before he was beamed down to Delta Vega. Here is a picture of it. So I suppose Khan used the same feature/function of the transporter to hold the Genesis Torpedo in place as a precaution.
Probably the best in-universe answer dating all the way to the beginning.