Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 24 2013, 03:05 PM   #31
Timo
Admiral

Re: When exactly did Marla McGivers die?

The idea that eugenics aims at creating tall blonde blue-eyes is obvious enough. But both "Space Seed" and ST2 did their damnedest to portray the Augments as a bunch of individualistic leaders, not mindless followers; ST2 even had them make fun of the concept of uniform, by accessorizing their rags with Starfleet jackets and whatnot.

Not Hitler Jugend then, not by a long shot. Evil, ruthless supermen, yes. But not a well-organized movement of them. Religious cults probably hit closer to home for the audiences of both the 1980s and the 2010s, with their brainwashing of children and the two-level organizations of one Exalted Leader and lots of worthless followers.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 01:17 AM   #32
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Timo wrote: View Post
The idea that eugenics aims at creating tall blonde blue-eyes is obvious enough. But both "Space Seed" and ST2 did their damnedest to portray the Augments as a bunch of individualistic leaders, not mindless followers; ST2 even had them make fun of the concept of uniform, by accessorizing their rags with Starfleet jackets and whatnot.
If you'd been living like Khan's people for all that time (obviously not one of them was intelligent enough to figure out how to sew), wouldn't you grab the chance to add something to your wardrobe? The jackets were practical, as well as "trophies", and the insignia wouldn't have meant much more to the younger ones than a different kind of ornament.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 04:16 PM   #33
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

The use of the term "augments" to describe Khan and his followers is obviously a retcon, since it was never used in "Space Seed" or TWOK. Forgive my ignorance, but when was that word actually first used in Trek?
Old March 25 2013, 04:41 PM   #34
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

First used in ENT during, fittingly enough, the Augments trilogy of episodes.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 08:42 PM   #35
Timo
Admiral

Then again, most things relating to Khan are retcons, including those from "Space Seed" already. That episode rewrote the prehistory of Star Trek, introducing the Eugenics Wars, the sublight starships and suspended animation. Adding a specific name for the selectively bred, oops, genetically engineered supermen is just an addition rather than a contradiction, just like the three things mentioned above, and in fact affects our perception of the supermen much less than those three things affected our perception of the world that had launched the Valiant.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 08:54 PM   #36
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I gotta admit, I wish the word "Augments" had been coined before I wrote my Khan books. Would have been convenient to have a nice shorthand term for genetically-engineered superhumans.

(And Timo is right; even the idea that Khan and his followers were genetically-engineered is something of a retcon. "Space Seed" only mentions selective breeding.)
Old March 25 2013, 09:51 PM   #37
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
. . . (And Timo is right; even the idea that Khan and his followers were genetically-engineered is something of a retcon. "Space Seed" only mentions selective breeding.)
Naturally, since genetic modification as we understand it has only been a reality since the 1980s. Traditional "positive eugenics" (selective breeding) is a comparatively slow and inefficient way of creating a race of superhumans.
Old March 25 2013, 10:46 PM   #38
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

Timo wrote: View Post
Then again, most things relating to Khan are retcons, including those from "Space Seed" already. That episode rewrote the prehistory of Star Trek, introducing the Eugenics Wars, the sublight starships and suspended animation. Adding a specific name for the selectively bred, oops, genetically engineered supermen is just an addition rather than a contradiction, just like the three things mentioned above, and in fact affects our perception of the supermen much less than those three things affected our perception of the world that had launched the Valiant.

Timo Saloniemi

I gotta disagree. Or I just don't understand. What did Space Seed retcon?
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 11:21 PM   #39
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Khan's followers in the movie look a lot older than 15 to me...
They are "hyper-aged", much like how Klingon kids grow to maturity so quickly (ie. Alexander in TNG and DS9).

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Too bad about V. But I preferred Judson Scott as Bennu in "Phoenix." (that was a Really Short Series!)
Lt James was in the last six or so episodes of "V: The Series" and, as mentioned, was slated to become a more important character if they'd been renewed for Season Two.

As for "The Phoenix", that's how come Judson Scott has no credit in ST II. His agent pushed for a credit in the opening titles, because "The Phoenix" episodes had yet to air but were anticipated to make Judson a big name. Eventually, Judson was encouraged to "waive billing", which he assumed meant they'd lost the battle for opening credits positioning - but he was horrified, on opening night, to realize that it meant no credit at all.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 11:31 PM   #40
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

scotpens wrote: View Post
. . . (And Timo is right; even the idea that Khan and his followers were genetically-engineered is something of a retcon. "Space Seed" only mentions selective breeding.)
Naturally, since genetic modification as we understand it has only been a reality since the 1980s. Traditional "positive eugenics" (selective breeding) is a comparatively slow and inefficient way of creating a race of superhumans.
Genetic engineering is a fancier term for what humans have been doing ever since they discovered how to manipulate food plants (ie. thousands of years). Selective breeding is just another name for it, as well. No retcon there.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 11:39 PM   #41
MarsWeeps
Captain

(And Timo is right; even the idea that Khan and his followers were genetically-engineered is something of a retcon. "Space Seed" only mentions selective breeding.)
Well, Kirk does mention "controlled genetics."

KIRK: I'd like those answers now. First, the purpose of your star flight.
KHAN: A new life, a chance to build a world. Other things I doubt you would understand.
KIRK: Why? Because I'm not a product of controlled genetics?
MarsWeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 07:43 AM   #42
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

MarsWeeps wrote: View Post
Well, Kirk does mention "controlled genetics."

KIRK: I'd like those answers now. First, the purpose of your star flight.
KHAN: A new life, a chance to build a world. Other things I doubt you would understand.
KIRK: Why? Because I'm not a product of controlled genetics?
That's right, but for some reason his words with Spock about selective breeding were a lot more memorable.

Anyway, "controlled genetics" could mean something as simple as selective breeding if we wanted to read it that way.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 12:35 PM   #43
Marsden
Captain

Maybe this is too far off, but a person like Khan may very well have had many wives. There are many kings, pashas, rajahs, and other rulers that have several wives.

Maybe he had a couple in the freezer.

Last edited by Marsden; March 26 2013 at 04:56 PM.
Marsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 04:14 PM   #44
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Timewalker wrote: View Post
scotpens wrote: View Post
Genetic engineering is a fancier term for what humans have been doing ever since they discovered how to manipulate food plants (ie. thousands of years). Selective breeding is just another name for it, as well. No retcon there.
True, but nowadays, and especially in an sf context, "genetic engineering" usually refers to scientists tinkering around with DNA in a lab. As opposed to eugenic breeding programs of the sort discussed in "Space Seed."

Granted, the use of the term "controlled genetics" allows for a bit of wiggle room.
Old March 26 2013, 06:50 PM   #45
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Just wanted to say that, partly prompted by this thread, I'm re-reading the appropriate novels.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote