RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,665
Members: 24,816
Currently online: 478
Newest member: CapSmith

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 25 2013, 11:05 PM   #1801
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

I have not read the comics, but I did read their summaries the other day and focused on how it is different than the tv show. It seems to be certainly telling a very similar story but with different elemental in a different order.

Perhaps the best question of the finale isn't who will die but where they will go from here. In the finale for the second season the camera panned over the prison so its important to figure out where our team hasn't been yet.

For me, the most local choice is to focus on Woodbuy and Rick's team taking over the town and do the story line like the Alexandria Safe Zone with Woodbury taking the spot of Alexandria. I don't see them traveling to DC as they already covered some/most of that material with the CDC. and with the order of the Hershal farm all messed up staying in Woodbury seems the best choice to me.

Thus Rick's group figuring out how to trick the Governor out of it seems paramount for the ending.
Old March 25 2013, 11:05 PM   #1802
Mojochi
Commodore

A lot of people overlook owning the prison as their best asset. By the look of the finale teaser, Woodbury's militia moves on the prison in force. Frankly, that's a passion play by the Gov. who is pissed & now probably more so after the Merle stunt, & the whole group is overconfident. The smart move would be to station Woodbury people outside the prison perimeter, & execute supply parties. Deplete their group a few at a time, & starve the rest out, the way Merle had mentioned. Hell, it wouldn't even take long, because they have less than a dozen people there

But that's not what they're doing. They appear to be storming the castle, busting down the gate with a vehicle & having what looked like the whole of their infantry follow behind. They are engaging the enemy on enemy turf. That asset is more valuable in the conflict than anything else. They're stupid for doing it. If you own the territory, then you have the advantage, as long as you make use of that. Hell, the idiot blonde kid in Home Alone figured that out, & he only had marbles & paint cans & shit

I'm joking a bit there. lol
The point is, on prison grounds, they can booby trap, cut off & trap groups once they split up, hand pick the best vantage points, & set up a safe zone that is better secured than anything they could manage back in the wild, to hold that baby. Sure humans survived millenia with babies in tow, but this group, in their current state & circumstance can't handle keeping that baby alive without the safety of somewhere like the prison. Will they stay there forever? Certainly not, but they NEED it now

They OWN it. The only real damage a guerrilla group can sustain is the complete loss of it by damage, as in the Gov. just burns the place to the ground, which may be the case ultimately, but it still won't be enough to keep his militia from being fish in a barrel for a handful of people ready for them

It's a tv show. Woodbury's people are the largest number BECAUSE they will be the biggest losses. When the bodies start hitting the ground, we only have like 10 to spare. Maybe we lose one or two, but Woodbury will lose MANY if not every one of their militia

Expect there to be surprise attacks on the Woodbury dumbasses
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 11:05 PM   #1803
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

I'm thinking the group doesn't have the skill set of the average stone age person. Nor where the nomadic people you mention up against predators as numerous as these.

as to migrating somewhere else; at the beginning of the season they mentioned being hemmed in by giant herds of walkers.

oops need to quote. Responding to this post

If babies weighed down humans, then our species wouldn't have advanced. For tens of thousands of years, our species was nomadic.

My understanding of the comics is that Rick's people moved up the coast to the environs around Washington, DC. I don't know if they will be doing that in the show. I do know that they are filming the first episodes of the fourth season in Georgia.

Are there advantages in moving to less populated states, where the population wasn't that big to start with, other than the one I enumerated? I am not sure how much of an advantage a group could gain from moving into a heavily populated area. Other the issue of encountering a large number of walkers, they would be fighting with other human groups for increasingly limited resources.
and mojo, I said on the last page the prison was a modern day keep
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 11:11 PM   #1804
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

Mojochi wrote: View Post
A lot of people overlook owning the prison as their best asset. By the look of the finale teaser, Woodbury's militia moves on the prison in force. Frankly, that's a passion play by the Gov. who is pissed & now probably more so after the Merle stunt, & the whole group is overconfident. The smart move would be to station Woodbury people outside the prison perimeter, & execute supply parties. Deplete their group a few at a time, & starve the rest out, the way Merle had mentioned. Hell, it wouldn't even take long, because they have less than a dozen people there

But that's not what they're doing. They appear to be storming the castle, busting down the gate with a vehicle & having what looked like the whole of their infantry follow behind. They are engaging the enemy on enemy turf. That asset is more valuable in the conflict than anything else. They're stupid for doing it. If you own the territory, then you have the advantage, as long as you make use of that. Hell, the idiot blonde kid in Home Alone figured that out, & he only had marbles & paint cans & shit

I'm joking a bit there. lol
The point is, on prison grounds, they can booby trap, cut off & trap groups once they split up, hand pick the best vantage points, & set up a safe zone that is better secured than anything they could manage back in the wild, to hold that baby. Sure humans survived millenia with babies in tow, but this group, in their current state & circumstance can't handle keeping that baby alive without the safety of somewhere like the prison. Will they stay there forever? Certainly not, but they NEED it now

They OWN it. The only real damage a guerrilla group can sustain is the complete loss of it by damage, as in the Gov. just burns the place to the ground, which may be the case ultimately, but it still won't be enough to keep his militia from being fish in a barrel for a handful of people ready for them

It's a tv show. Woodbury's people are the largest number BECAUSE they will be the biggest losses. When the bodies start hitting the ground, we only have like 10 to spare. Maybe we lose one or two, but Woodbury will lose MANY if not everyone one

Expect there to be surprise attacks on the Woodbury dumbasses
This. I forsee the prison being the reverse of a Trojan Horse. Maybe I'm envisioning things that don't exist. In that clip of them storming the castle there are no walkers anywhere. That is odd for this series who place walkers in the background everywhere and its so odd because even our hero's don't care about them unless they get close. To not see them then at that point in time seems important to me. So where are they?

I say they are in the castle waiting for The Governors troops to enter the castle. And BOOM! They have Walkers to content with booby traps, etc. Clearly something else is going on at Woodbury at the time the actor who plays the governor says as much.

My guess still is that Rick is assaulting Woodbury while the governor is at a walker infested prison.
Old March 25 2013, 11:15 PM   #1805
wissaboo
Captain

maybe they take a page from Morgan's book
Old March 25 2013, 11:23 PM   #1806
Mojochi
Commodore

wissaboo wrote: View Post
I saw that...

I said it better
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 11:26 PM   #1807
wissaboo
Captain

Mojochi wrote: View Post
I saw that...

I said it better
well.... that's true
Old March 26 2013, 12:01 AM   #1808
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Green Shirt wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
propita wrote: View Post
Do men see hairless women as prepubescent, in a way?
Yes, exactly. That's the main reason it creeps me out.
Its better than having a stray hair in the back of your throat while you're taking care of business. It kinda takes you out of the moment.
I'v just never liked hairy women. Has nothing whatsoever to do with thinking they look prepubecent. Probably has more to do with it (hairlessness) NOT looking masculine. Hair reminds me of dudes -- don't know why, it just does.

Great episode. Michonne finally got to Merle.

Seeing his brother as a walker had to be ten times worse for Daryl than just seeing Merle's dead body.

I had completely zoned out on David Morrisey being "the next Doctor". On "Talking Dead", he actually appeared to be attempting to present the Gov as a sympathetic character. Unfortunately, his portrayal has been so good that it is really hard to sympathize with the character even though we know he is as much a victim of this world as everyone else is.

Looking forward to the Battle Royale next week.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 02:21 AM   #1809
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Why did Merle pack a phone in his kidnap kit?
So he could call Rick from the other side, like all the others did

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 02:41 AM   #1810
Shanndee
Commodore

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Why did Merle pack a phone in his kidnap kit?
So he could call Rick from the other side, like all the others did

Hubby and I were having a "huh?" moment when Merle packed the phone, then later he exclaimed "oh, Merle used the rotary dial to bind Michone's fingers and the cord to tie her hands around the dial".

Sharp-eyed, my Hubby!

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 03:25 AM   #1811
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Fantastic Episode, especially the final scene, worthy of an Emmy, IMHO

The Merle Redemption was very well done, first, giving Rick a wake up call with how awful he alluded to things the Governor would do to her, to the conversation with Michonne, and ambush after the chug-a-lug.

Excited for next week's finale, and nervous, there's too many good characters I'm attached to, to carry into Next season, I think.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 09:27 AM   #1812
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Yeah, that final scene was a killer. Poor Daryl. And he really had some great lines in this episode: "This ain't us, man." "I ain't saying that was the wrong thing to do, but this is the right thing to do." I wonder if this will effect his relationship with Rick at all.

And Merle certainly died well. After everything, he went out a hero and reduced the Governor's forces significantly. Getting drunk, luring in a horde of zombies and then picking off a bunch of the enemy may not have been the most brilliant plan, but nobody ever said that he was a military genius-- just that he had military training.

I was disappointed in Rick for deciding to give up Michonne, but at least he ultimately made the right decision and did it on his own. This is quite a different Rick from the end of last season.
Old March 26 2013, 01:37 PM   #1813
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Yeah, that final scene was a killer. Poor Daryl. And he really had some great lines in this episode: "This ain't us, man." "I ain't saying that was the wrong thing to do, but this is the right thing to do." I wonder if this will effect his relationship with Rick at all.
I doubt it. Rick changed his mind and Merle was simply...being Merle.
And Daryl knows that second part better than anyone else. No reason to hate Rick for it.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 02:24 PM   #1814
PKerr
Rear Admiral

Good episode.

The parallels between the show and the comic are pretty close at times just in a different order and different people.

For instance I predict the same fate will befall Beth and Judith the same way it did with Lori and Judith in the comic with next week's events.

I hope the season finale ends the Governor's story line as to me it's dragging on too long.

I think Woodbury with be the Comic's Alexandria.
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 02:39 PM   #1815
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

I was thinking it might be more interesting to keep the Governor alive. How would you handle someone like that, imprison them? Execute them? Exile?

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote