Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 25 2013, 09:05 PM   #31
CaptainDave1701
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Who were the choices for "actually it's one of them"

He was one of our best agents = Gary7
CaptainDave1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 11:10 PM   #32
Shilliam Watner
Commander

Could he be John Harrison April?
Shilliam Watner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 02:53 AM   #33
The Wormhole
Admiral

CaptainDave1701 wrote: View Post
Gary Seven doesn't work for Starfleet, seeing as how he lived in the 1960s.
Old March 26 2013, 04:12 AM   #34
WarpFactorZ
Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Presumably Gary Seven was from the future, since he had intimate details of when the Vulcans integrated with Humans, etc... In fact, one could conjecture that he was part of the same organization as the "temporal police" (or whatever they were called -- I didn't watch Enterprise).
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 04:42 AM   #35
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
Presumably Gary Seven was from the future, since he had intimate details of when the Vulcans integrated with Humans, etc...
He had knowledge of what happened when, but maintained that was from (and of) the 20th century.
SEVEN: All right, Captain Kirk. My name is Gary Seven. I am a human being from the twentieth century.
---
SEVEN: Captain Kirk, I am of this time period. You are not.
transcript
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 02:22 PM   #36
The Wormhole
Admiral

Presumably Gary Seven was from the future, since he had intimate details of when the Vulcans integrated with Humans, etc... In fact, one could conjecture that he was part of the same organization as the "temporal police" (or whatever they were called -- I didn't watch Enterprise).
That really doesnt't make sense, someone from the future serving as the watchdog that prevents nuclear war. If that requires someone from the future, than that implies nuclear war is what's supposed to happen, and time travel laws should forbid Gary Seven's presence.

And before we start spinning this in "well maybe he was a rogue agent serving his own agenda against his superiors" let's just stop and look at the intent. Gary Seven was originally intended to be a human specially trained by aliens on a distant world to help humanity though a rough part in their development. Indeed, given Assignemnt Earth was originally pitched as a seperate series completely unconnected to Star Trek, I doubt anyone had time travel in mind at all.

Besides he didn't have any kind of "intimate details" about when humans met Vulcans, he just noticed that this mostly human starship crew had a Vulcan among them and assumed they had to be from the future.
Old March 26 2013, 02:47 PM   #37
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Indeed, given Assignemnt Earth was originally pitched as a seperate series completely unconnected to Star Trek, I doubt anyone had time travel in mind at all.
The intro narration, from the original Assignment: Earth standalone pilot script...

In the hands of one man...
could rest the future of all mankind.
His name... Gary Seven...
born in the year 2319 A.D.
The only survivor of Earth's attempt
to send a man back through time to today.
Assignment... fight an enemy
who is already here, trying to destroy us.
If he fails... there'll be no tomorrow!

http://www.fastcopyinc.com/orionpres...assignment.htm
Old March 26 2013, 05:54 PM   #38
WarpFactorZ
Captain

That really doesnt't make sense, someone from the future serving as the watchdog that prevents nuclear war. If that requires someone from the future, than that implies nuclear war is what's supposed to happen, and time travel laws should forbid Gary Seven's presence.
But if history records a nuclear war not occurring until the mid-21st century, it makes perfect sense for him to try and stop it from happening in the 1960s.

According to Roddenberry's original script, albeit unrelated to Star Trek at the time (from http://www.assignmentearth.ca/):

Gary Seven is a man sent back in time from the 24th century, the only Earth man to ever survive the transit.
As for claiming to be from the 1960s, it's possible that he was "recruited" by agents from the future. Although, it's also possible he simply lied to Kirk et al. because of a "need to know" basis (e.g. he came from even further in the future, and couldn't risk them being tempted to know what happens).
Old March 27 2013, 01:12 AM   #39
The Wormhole
Admiral

Well, the time travel aspect of Gary Seven's origins was certainly dropped when they turned the story into a Trek episode. I see no reason to add them over 40 years after the fact.
Old March 27 2013, 01:45 AM   #40
WarpFactorZ
Captain

Well, the time travel aspect of Gary Seven's origins was certainly dropped when they turned the story into a Trek episode. I see no reason to add them over 40 years after the fact.
But the time travel aspect couldn't have been completely dropped. The technology Gary Seven used was certainly not vintage 1960s. And I'm not sure how you explain the morphing catwoman, let alone his knowledge of Vulcans.

So, however you want to slice it, there was some variety of time travel involved with Gary Seven. If it wasn't him, it was the people who set up his pad and recruited/trained him.
Old March 27 2013, 01:56 AM   #41
The Wormhole
Admiral

But the time travel aspect couldn't have been completely dropped. The technology Gary Seven used was certainly not vintage 1960s. And I'm not sure how you explain the morphing catwoman, let alone his knowledge of Vulcans.

So, however you want to slice it, there was some variety of time travel involved with Gary Seven. If it wasn't him, it was the people who set up his pad and recruited/trained him.
According to the novels, the people Gary Seven works for (of whom the morphing catwoman belongs) are observers of the entire galaxy and thus have knowledge of it and all its races. No time travel involved.
Old March 27 2013, 11:31 PM   #42
newtontomato539
Commander

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
a Gary Mitchell in star fleet who possibly never made it onto the Enterprise in this time line could make sense.
Nah, we've been through that one. They wouldn't have bothered approving, then wasting, the character for the IDW comic. Only to have to reintroduce him.
But but but but the Comic isn't Canon tm!
newtontomato539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 11:37 PM   #43
newtontomato539
Commander

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
Several tribbles stacked on top of each other in a trenchcoat. One of them is wearing a Sherlock mask, he's the brains of the operation.
I love it!

"I am taking :trill: this ship apart!"
"Did you just trill?"
":trill: No!"
newtontomato539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 12:26 AM   #44
The Wormhole
Admiral

newtontomato539 wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
a Gary Mitchell in star fleet who possibly never made it onto the Enterprise in this time line could make sense.
Nah, we've been through that one. They wouldn't have bothered approving, then wasting, the character for the IDW comic. Only to have to reintroduce him.
But but but but the Comic isn't Canon tm!
True, but Bad Robot has to approve the comics to make sure they don't cover material that's being planned for the movies. Therefore, if they wanted to use Gary Mitchell in a movie, they wouldn's have allowed him to be in the comic.
Old March 30 2013, 05:27 AM   #45
Arianna
Ensign

FlapJoy wrote: View Post
I'm intrigued by the Talosians idea. Harrison could be a Talosian or be representing them -- An altered human or perception altered Talosian doing their bidding for some Talosian plot. We know that they can cure physical deformities, which is a theme explored in the film trailers. The "behind glass" imagery is conversely reminiscent with scenes from that pilot episode. A Captain Pike connection. Even a screaming Alice Eve fits the bill, is she being mind tortured similarly as they did Vina?

In the Cage, their Talosian planet is in ruins, do they blame Starfleet? Humanity? Or just all other space faring lifeforms... what would you do for family?

They can alter perceptions, and enjoy pitting us "lesser lifeforms" against each other, pushing emotional buttons to reveal humanities true nature. Causing a inner Starfleet conflict would be right up their alley. Maybe Kirk possibly breaking the prime directive brings attention, and perhaps, inspires the powerful Talosians to test the Earth men's hubris as we boldly go further into space. This would be a fabulous concept, to explore Trek's very first adversaries.

I hope it's this.
That would be very interesting. They are such a formidable enemy. I wonder are they going to introduce Vina as a character? I never liked the original where

A. They couldn't cure her or Pike in the 23rd century?
B. They left her behind on a planet just because of her injuries? I thought that "looks" were supposed to be irrelavent?

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
Several tribbles stacked on top of each other in a trenchcoat. One of them is wearing a Sherlock mask, he's the brains of the operation.
Funniest post of the day. Laughed out loud LOL at WORK.
Arianna is offline   Reply With Quote