Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 25 2013, 06:46 PM   #46
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Villains, Always With The Villains

SchwEnt wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
What works on TV doesn't always work with movies. The kind of plots Trek does with its movies generally do require villains.
Exactly. If Hollywood can't manage a ST movie without it requiring Super Evil Villains and kewl space battle climax for every entry, maybe ST shouldn't be in the cinema. Maybe it should remain a television production.
Undeniably, television is where Star trek excels. But if it weren't for the movies, I doubt interest in Star Trek would have continued through the 1980s, which I believe is what made TNG possible, and from there everything Trek related in the 1990s and until Enterprise's end in 2005.

I don't particularly care for the Abrams movies, but they are a necessary evil. They are once again drumming up interest in Trek and will make it possible for a new TV series someday.
Old March 25 2013, 07:17 PM   #47
Pavonis
Commodore

What works on TV doesn't always work with movies. The kind of plots Trek does with its movies generally do require villains.
Exactly. If Hollywood can't manage a ST movie without it requiring Super Evil Villains and kewl space battle climax for every entry, maybe ST shouldn't be in the cinema. Maybe it should remain a television production.

At this point, ST is becoming generic action sci-fi with space battles and evil villains and ST was never about that.
I thought that is exactly what Trek was and is about. It can have more, but it starts there.

Anyway, how could it "remain" a tv production when there hasn't been a Trek show on for years? Trek isn't more of one kind of media than another. It has been and can be everything - literature, games, films, tv. But it can't always be all of them simultaneously. Trek will remain a film franchise for the foreseeable future. If the films tank, don't count on new tv productions.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 07:26 PM   #48
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I don't particularly care for the Abrams movies, but they are a necessary evil. They are once again drumming up interest in Trek and will make it possible for a new TV series someday.
Absolutely this.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 09:40 PM   #49
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

I couldn't care less if there's another series named StarTrek, unless it is the kind of show I like, and not just vengeance-crazed, scarey-looking baddies blowin' crap up. I will have to find pleasure in things not named Star Trek, or in rewatchings of eps 15-49 years old. Both are fine by me.
Old March 25 2013, 11:10 PM   #50
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

Pavonis wrote: View Post

At this point, ST is becoming generic action sci-fi with space battles and evil villains and ST was never about that.
I thought that is exactly what Trek was and is about. It can have more, but it starts there.

Anyway, how could it "remain" a tv production when there hasn't been a Trek show on for years? Trek isn't more of one kind of media than another. It has been and can be everything - literature, games, films, tv. But it can't always be all of them simultaneously. Trek will remain a film franchise for the foreseeable future. If the films tank, don't count on new tv productions.
With all the various media, ST can be all the things it does well... adventure stories, human drama, future explorations, morality plays, character pieces, and yes, space battles with bad guys.

But it seems the movies can only show this one minor aspect of ST, space battles with evil villains. What about exploring the human condition? Exploring strange new worlds? Can ST no longer go where no one has gone before and must instead be about fighting evil villains with kewl explosions every time?
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 11:16 PM   #51
yousirname
Commander

They could do that, but it would be a massive flop. Not enough people want that in a Star Trek movie for it to be viable.
yousirname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 11:23 PM   #52
Pavonis
Commodore

Pretty much. Star Trek in film is an action-movie-in-space genre. It's not going to be a dramatic science fiction film about the "human condition" or "exploring the unknown". Wanting it to be means you'll just be disappointed.

Anyone who wants Trek to be science fiction should look to the literature.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 01:22 AM   #53
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Cumberbatch is a great actor but in the trailers all he does is snarl in a black trenchcoat and blow stuff up. I doubt he'll compete with Winn, Dukat, Weyoun and Female Changeling in terms of great Trek villains.

The movies tend to be big, dumb, loud Hollywood blockbusters so lack the nuance I like in Trek. The best "villain" in the movie series is V'ger. An unknown, alien being that opens up philisophical questions. That we've de-evolved from that to fucking Eric "FIRE EVERYTHING!" Bana blowing planets up for no reason is a sad state of affairs.
Please, his reason is so obvious you'd have to be dead not to notice it.

The "devolution" started and stopped with TWOK. That's the blueprint for Trek's on screen success. They've been trying to recapture that for decades. Looks like they finally did, in spades.
Old March 26 2013, 03:37 AM   #54
Anji
Rear Admiral

View Anji's Twitter Profile

It is much easier to write a mustache twirling villain than contruct a villain from immoral ideals and falllacies in our culture.

And I'm sorry, for how much I love it, Star Trek has rarely had writers of that caliber.
Old March 26 2013, 08:07 PM   #55
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Cumberbatch is a great actor but in the trailers all he does is snarl in a black trenchcoat and blow stuff up. I doubt he'll compete with Winn, Dukat, Weyoun and Female Changeling in terms of great Trek villains.

The movies tend to be big, dumb, loud Hollywood blockbusters so lack the nuance I like in Trek. The best "villain" in the movie series is V'ger. An unknown, alien being that opens up philisophical questions. That we've de-evolved from that to fucking Eric "FIRE EVERYTHING!" Bana blowing planets up for no reason is a sad state of affairs.
no rational reason, then

"Waah, I'm mad, I will destroy others." It gets old.
Old March 26 2013, 08:46 PM   #56
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I always feel like the true villain of Trek is humanity's bloody past.

So when we see a stereotypical action movie villain who's nasty for the sake of nasty, it's extremely boring.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 10:17 PM   #57
Rusty Nova
Fleet Captain

wouldn't you have to see all the film before judging whether cumberbatch's character has a reason for his actions? seems like a fuckload of presumption going on here.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Rusty Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 02:17 AM   #58
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

blah blah blah Gene's Vision™

yadda e yadda dumb movies these days

blah blah blah they dont make em like they used to

Last edited by Herkimer Jitty; March 27 2013 at 04:13 AM.
Herkimer Jitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 02:52 AM   #59
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

plynch wrote: View Post

no rational reason, then

"Waah, I'm mad, I will destroy others." It gets old.
Did someone claim Nero was rational? The man's home planet was destroyed, along with the people he loved. Of course he's not going to be rational. I think something like might lead you to do some crazy things. It even happens in real life when tragedy strikes.

Nah, it doesn't get old. Its been driving entertainment for years and people seem to like it. It's all in the execution.
Old March 27 2013, 07:09 PM   #60
The Wormhole
Admiral

Did someone claim Nero was rational? The man's home planet was destroyed, along with the people he loved. Of course he's not going to be rational. I think something like might lead you to do some crazy things. It even happens in real life when tragedy strikes.

Nah, it doesn't get old. Its been driving entertainment for years and people seem to like it. It's all in the execution.
That's all well and good, but at the end of the day Nero was a pretty terrible villain. The whole "IT HAPPENED!" rant shows he's a bit too irrational to be taken seriously. From Pike's persepctive, the destruction of Romulus won't HAPPEN for another 130 years, so screaming at him for not thinking IT HAPPENED isn't really accomplishing anything at all.