Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 25 2013, 05:56 PM   #1771
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

I'm curious about the trope though. Is anyone an officer of the law or something like that profession that can provide an answer.

Why is it that when two officers are partners and one is not married and one is, the married one will die and the partner will marry their widow? Does this happen often in real life?

It was also pretty clear in the pilot that Shane wasn't stable. His conversation with Rick was odd as they eat their donuts and waited for radio traffic - on an unrelated note is there any canon as to how the virus started? In WWZ they say it came from the Three gorges Dam, but in TWD I haven't heard anything.
Old March 25 2013, 06:03 PM   #1772
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

ThunderAeroI wrote: View Post
is there any canon as to how the virus started? In WWZ they say it came from the Three gorges Dam, but in TWD I haven't heard anything.
Nope.. the zombie virus isn't the story. How team Rick survives is the story.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 06:05 PM   #1773
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Pavonis wrote: View Post
How could Ben's action be "stupid"? He didn't know where Merle was shooting from, and stepping forward was no more "stupid" than stepping back. It was just a matter of luck - bad for Ben and Merle, good for the Governor.
It was a joke. Geez.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 06:28 PM   #1774
Pavonis
Commodore

auntiehill wrote: View Post
How could Ben's action be "stupid"? He didn't know where Merle was shooting from, and stepping forward was no more "stupid" than stepping back. It was just a matter of luck - bad for Ben and Merle, good for the Governor.
It was a joke. Geez.
Not a very good one, apparently. Sarcasm doesn't come across on the Internet, if you didn't know. Or is this your first visit to it?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 06:47 PM   #1775
Green Shirt
Rear Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
propita wrote: View Post
Do men see hairless women as prepubescent, in a way?
Yes, exactly. That's the main reason it creeps me out.
Its better than having a stray hair in the back of your throat while you're taking care of business. It kinda takes you out of the moment.
Old March 25 2013, 06:54 PM   #1776
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

It was a joke. Geez.
Not a very good one, apparently. Sarcasm doesn't come across on the Internet, if you didn't know. Or is this your first visit to it?
Whatever.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 07:06 PM   #1777
Scout101
Admiral

ThunderAeroI wrote: View Post
I'm curious about the trope though. Is anyone an officer of the law or something like that profession that can provide an answer.

Why is it that when two officers are partners and one is not married and one is, the married one will die and the partner will marry their widow? Does this happen often in real life?
I can't speak to 'real life' examples, but I can understand the trope easily enough: Presumably partners and their families are close. At the very least, the surviving partner and the spouse will both be grieving the same person, and it's not a stretch to see them reaching out to each other for support. Since you've got a single man and woman in the same place emotionally, and both looking to fill a void, you can see where this might happen. Especially if you add in an apocolypse and delete the rest of the world/society that could potentially judge them...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 07:09 PM   #1778
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Mojochi wrote: View Post
Frankly, the Woodbury lot are a pretty poor unit. Rick's group has the edge there, & from the look of the finale teaser, they are either gone, or are in hiding & possibly plan to fight with guerrilla tactics, which given the state of their group, is as good a plan as they can muster. It is after all THEIR turf
The smart thing to do is pack up and bail out. Michonne told them about the national guard attack, so Rick's group knows what kind of firepower Woodbury has. Why play with that? Leaving the prison is the best chance....but if anyone has any bomb making talents, and how to set it on a timer, now would be the time to build that surprise.

Guerilla tactics with a largely untrained girl (Beth), a newbie to marksmanship (Carol) and a baby is not recipe for success.
Old March 25 2013, 07:17 PM   #1779
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Leaving the prison is the best chance....but if anyone has any bomb making talents, and how to set it on a timer, now would be the time to build that surprise.
Morgan had a crate overflowing with hand grenades. I'd like to think they brought a few.

Trip wires that pull pins shouldn't be too difficult to rig.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 07:21 PM   #1780
Pavonis
Commodore

Evacuation is the best chance Rick's group has. They're out-numbered and out-gunned. Fighting, even from a defensive position, will only delay a loss to the Woodbury forces. But I don't see the production team straying too far from the comics at this point.
Old March 25 2013, 07:25 PM   #1781
Kytee
Commander

I loved last nights episode, the dialog between Michonne and Merle was wonderful; really got to know Merle more before his death.

I found it interesting how he said he had spent alot of time thinking about Rick, he mentioned the fact that Rick had tried to come back for him. I wonder if he had come to the conclusion that he would have been better off trying to fit in with the Alanta group. Considering he had never killed anyone until he worked for the governer , he musta figured Rick would not have asked that sort of thing in order for him to stay. ( Course , Rick pretty much DID ask that of him...... )

-Kytee
Kytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 07:42 PM   #1782
propita
Rear Admiral

Just how many actual fighters, and how many possible fighters, are at Woodbury?

They started with 72, added Tyreese and his sister and the 2 jerks (76). They lost 6 to Rick's group and 8 to Merle (62). They were men and women who seriously were more hindrance than help in a fight, and a number of children. Even if you limit that to 20--and I think it's more--that leaves 42 possible fighters. Half of which likely suck at shooting and fighting compared to Rick's groups, but even a fool can get lucky.

Ricky's group has Rick, Daryl, Glenn, Maggie, Carl, Michonne, and limited Herschel. Carol, Beth, and obviously Judith are not fighters. Carol can provide some support on moving weapons, reloading, etc. Beth needs to protect the baby. So maybe 7.

Odds at guerrilla warfare? Odds at ambushing in the prison? Cut off a large group and Rick et al have a good chance.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 07:45 PM   #1783
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Kestrel wrote: View Post
^ Yup, agreed. All things considered Merle did pretty good there at the end. And I totally missed until you all pointed it out that it was Ben who threw himself in front of the Gov.
Not threw himself so much as stupidly stumbled in front of him just as Merle fired.
True.

It was a joke. Geez.
Old March 25 2013, 07:47 PM   #1784
Pavonis
Commodore

Out numbered 6 to 1, the prison group has no chance to win. They can hurt the Woodbury forces, but they can't win.
Old March 25 2013, 07:49 PM   #1785
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

I think Merle realized how grave his situation was once they left him on the roof. He was only left there because they had to leave in a hurry and Rick would have never left him there on purpose anyway. I'd also guess that Rick would have left Merle there had Lori not asked him to tell Daryl where he was...Rick then realized he not only had to tell he was honor bound to go and get him himself.

I have to give props to Rick though, I would not have cared if Merle died, he was an ass and the new world doesn't need people with that attitude. Heck one of the first things Merle says to the group is how ironic it was that Michonne had two African Americans chain ganged to her - who herself was possibly African American. Merle is an ass, I'm surprised he didn't kill anyone prior to the zombies.

I don't recall Rick ever asking Merle do do it anyway - he says he did, but I figured that was him taking responsibility for something wrong happening and not telling the others the truth like he seems to do (often). Merle does it because he knows Rick really wont, and I'm honestly surprised Rick would even think of it after what happens with Gleen and Meggs. Herschel should have said he would not trade her in to save his daughters out of all of them I expect him to be the moral center of the group with Dale gone.