Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old March 25 2013, 04:23 AM   #76
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Re: How Do You Define Success In Life?

teacake wrote: View Post
thestrangequark wrote: View Post

You should swear more. It's rather fetching.
Fuck off, bitch.

You ruined it with the smiley. Fucker.
I debated the fuck out of whether or not to put that smiley in! It's just hard online, because IRL my cussing is naturally tempered by my rosy complexion, girlish voice, and slight lisp, and with those natural qualities (some of my greatest successes, if I do say so myself), it is hard to gauge the effect size of the different obscenities!

Cunt.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I must revise my earlier statement. "Success in life" equals "Not ruining threads like I've just done".
By deepening the discussion? That's not ruining a thread.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 04:28 AM   #77
CorporalClegg
Admiral

If you like, though I'm sure it's not the most original thing that's ever been said!
Yes. But quoting you directly is sure to raise some eyebrows.
Old March 25 2013, 04:31 AM   #78
teacock
Admiral

To bring it back around to the original topic of having a "successful" life (and I still don't even get what that really means), I think for a lot of people much unhappiness is caused by mistakenly placing value in outcomes and qualifying them in terms of successes and failures. A lot of judgement comes from the same fallacious thinking, too. I can put value only in what I can do and how I react, because in the end I don't really have control over how the cards fall.
I've never been very materialistic and I've never bothered much with goals. I've always equated the word 'success' with something other people strive to achieve, something I have neatly stepped around as not being worth bothering with. I've actually been very successful at not bothering with it

(which isn't quite responding to what you've written ..)

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 04:35 AM   #79
teacock
Admiral

Fuck off, bitch.

You ruined it with the smiley. Fucker.
I debated the fuck out of whether or not to put that smiley in! It's just hard online, because IRL my cussing is naturally tempered by my rosy complexion, girlish voice, and slight lisp, and with those natural qualities (some of my greatest successes, if I do say so myself), it is hard to gauge the effect size of the different obscenities!

Cunt.
The neat thing about the effect size is that it varies from person to person! One cunt will net you everything from meh to notifying the mod. It's a banquet out there (bitch).

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 04:37 AM   #80
Use of Time
Commodore

To bring it back around to the original topic of having a "successful" life (and I still don't even get what that really means), I think for a lot of people much unhappiness is caused by mistakenly placing value in outcomes and qualifying them in terms of successes and failures. A lot of judgement comes from the same fallacious thinking, too. I can put value only in what I can do and how I react, because in the end I don't really have control over how the cards fall.
I've never been very materialistic and I've never bothered much with goals. I've always equated the word 'success' with something other people strive to achieve, something I have neatly stepped around as not being worth bothering with. I've actually been very successful at not bothering with it

Couldn't have said it better my self. I don't know if I'm a successful person or not and I wouldn't care to try and establish a metric for that but I do know that I am content right now.
Old March 25 2013, 06:00 PM   #81
SamhainLikeYou
Vice Admiral

I bolded the statement you made, which I think is the most basic definition of success. Most people equate success with financial gain, status, a good relationship, etc., i.e., those are the objectives that people strive to achieve. But since not everyone shares the same objectives, who's to say one is either successful or a failure at what he/she does? My boss always says, "I want people to be successful," which I take to be a well-meaning statement. On the other hand, that's a very presumptuous remark. What makes him think his employees aren't already successful at what they're doing? If they're working hard and getting the work done, then I consider that success.

As far as health goes, it's a predisposed factor and should not be counted as either success or failure. There are, however, healthful objectives that can be achieved through personal discipline.
Old March 25 2013, 06:13 PM   #82
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

If I was to define a successful life, it would be the fact that I am the father of three children who grew up without unwanted pregnancies, no criminal record, and just great people. They all attend or attended college, and are working in their chosen fields.

I feel I was a success as a parent, because my children have a better life at their age than I did at the same age.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 02:08 AM   #83
SamhainLikeYou
Vice Admiral

Sorry for bumping up this thread

In regards to money, somebody pointed out earlier that money doesn't buy happiness, and someone countered that whoever said that doesn't have to worry about their finances to begin with. I'm paraphrasing here.

I think that money does make people happy, especially if there's an abundance of it. I am by no means a wealthy person, but I'm generally happier, more secure and confident when I know I have more than enough to cover my basic expenses as well as have a little something on the side. And I don't have an extravagant lifestyle.

So now I believe I understand why others might equate success with financial gain or freedom because it gives them peace of mind and a sense of accomplishment. And if success is synonymous with happiness, then they are successful in that regard.
Old April 13 2013, 05:02 AM   #84
not
Lieutenant Commander

HowDo You Define Success In Life? I know my failures but I'm never sure I truly own my success.

It isn’t about money but I can understand that if you’re needs aren’t met or not personally satisfactorily, then your focus would be financial.

"It's about self-fulfillment and self-enrichment, but as content as I am with the way things are, I find myself wanting more.” Me too but I just don’t know how to get there.
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 08:46 PM   #85
publiusr
Commodore

Money isn't valuable in itself--but it opens up options.

It's all about opening up possibilities.

People who have a great skill set about making money may not be the best ones to hold on to it. This is why we all dream of the lottery, so that we don't have to be some type A dirtbag. He would focus on making more.

I would spend to money, say, helping folks with their garage kits, people with an interest in wooden sailing vessels, art, having my own private library, giving it away to family and friends, etc.

Type A doesn't think like that, because he really isn't human..
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 12:36 PM   #86
Collingwood Nick
Vice Admiral

Success in life is really easy to achieve. We write the rules, we create the 'win' state, we play the game - how can we lose? You would have to set out to lose on purpose by making some insanely silly win state like 'I will succeed when I build a working time machine'.

The tricky part is holding on to the knowledge that we create our own rules. There are lots of other people out there trying to sell the belief that their rules should be our rules. Personally, I don't need a flash new car or big TV or other piece of property to feel like a success. But geez there are so many credit providers who would have me believe otherwise.