Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 23 2013, 11:54 PM   #1
CrazyMatt
Commander

Exeter Patch

Again, through the wonders of Trek Core and the Star Trek Prop Authority, the patch of the USS Exeter... in this case, the Sciences patch worn by Ed McCready in his role as Cdr (Dr.) Carter, the ship's Chief Medical Officer:

Old March 24 2013, 09:13 AM   #2
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Re: Exeter Patch

Interesting to see it up close, even though some things were truly never meant for HD.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 11:52 AM   #3
Metryq
Captain

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Interesting to see it up close, even though some things were truly never meant for HD.
The modelers for Pixar's THE INCREDIBLES made a "universal man" for all the secondary characters, which would be tweaked and pulled to make them "different." They were never intended to be seen up close... Then the animators put Bernie's face right into the camera.

I never understood why Starfleet would have different badges for each ship. Was this idea derived from the different mission patches NASA used?
Old March 24 2013, 12:52 PM   #4
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Is it the lighting, or is he is a grey uniform shirt?
Old March 24 2013, 01:33 PM   #5
feek61
Captain

Lighting; the shirt was blue.
Old March 24 2013, 01:51 PM   #6
mos6507
Captain

It's cool. It's like something you might get at a hippie smoke-shop or a renaissance fair.
Old March 24 2013, 03:15 PM   #7
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

Metryq wrote: View Post
I never understood why Starfleet would have different badges for each ship. Was this idea derived from the different mission patches NASA used?
You may enjoy reading these topisc:
Starfleet Command Insignia
and
Divisions, Insignia, Uniforms and Assignment Patches.

The different badges and origins were thoroughly discussed.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 03:39 PM   #8
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Is it the lighting, or is he is a grey uniform shirt?
It's a regular repurposed Nimoy command braid sciences blue velour costume. This image is an artifically magnified image of an image that the boarding party was watching on the bridge Main Viewing Sreen of Exeter's ship surgeon Dr. Carter on a bridge set that is lit more darkly and bluely (is bluely a word?) than when the brige set is normally lit as the Enterprise. But it's a regular sciences shirt--just a bit washed out with the lighting, as feek61 suggests.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 05:57 PM   #9
Gojira
Commodore

I am glad that Trek abandoned the different badges for other ships. I never did care for it. I am glad that the symbol for the Enterprise was used for all of Starfleet.

It is cool though to see this one close up!
Old March 24 2013, 11:10 PM   #10
F. King Daniel
Admiral

feek61 wrote: View Post
Lighting; the shirt was blue.
GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
It's a regular repurposed Nimoy command braid sciences blue velour costume. This image is an artifically magnified image of an image that the boarding party was watching on the bridge Main Viewing Sreen of Exeter's ship surgeon Dr. Carter on a bridge set that is lit more darkly and bluely (is bluely a word?) than when the brige set is normally lit as the Enterprise. But it's a regular sciences shirt--just a bit washed out with the lighting, as feek61 suggests.
Understood, thanks.
Old March 25 2013, 01:13 AM   #11
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Metryq wrote: View Post
I think it was a staging trick, a small-screen signal to the audience that a character was in Starfleet but not an Enterprise crewman. It helped delineate the us-versus-them drama with Commodores Stone, Decker, and Stocker, and Captain Tracy. "This guy is with us but not of us."

The distressed shirt color on Exeter's doctor helped symbolize the drama of a whole crew slowly dying.

Bernie looks just like one of our managers here at work.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 03:37 AM   #12
feek61
Captain

Gojira wrote: View Post
I am glad that Trek abandoned the different badges for other ships. I never did care for it. I am glad that the symbol for the Enterprise was used for all of Starfleet.

It is cool though to see this one close up!
My understanding is that the different patches represented different divisions or sectors within Starfleet. That's why we see the delta shield at the starbase in "Court Martial" because that base was in the same division as the Enterprise operated within. The other Starships operated in different divisions of Starfleet; hence the different patches. Ultimately the delta shield was adopted for the entire starfleet after the Enterprise was the only starship to survive the 5 year mission in tact. Don't know how accepted that is but it is my understanding.
Old March 25 2013, 03:50 AM   #13
CrazyMatt
Commander

Gojira wrote: View Post
At least as far as TOS goes, I must disagree. The patches for both the Constellation and Exeter are both interesting and visually striking... in fact, both are more interesting than the delta... and they represent the concept that each of the 12 starships was indeed something special, worthy of it's own symbol. If only Bob Justman hadn't ruined that thought for me....
Old March 25 2013, 04:07 AM   #14
Brown-Eyed Ghoul
Vice Admiral

Ultimately the delta shield was adopted for the entire starfleet after the Enterprise was the only starship to survive the 5 year mission intact. Don't know how accepted that is but it is my understanding.
It's a fanwank. Make of it what you will.
Old March 25 2013, 04:21 AM   #15
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
Ultimately the delta shield was adopted for the entire starfleet after the Enterprise was the only starship to survive the 5 year mission intact. Don't know how accepted that is but it is my understanding.
It's a fanwank. Make of it what you will.
A previous discussion revealed that the original intent was for everyone to use the delta, but somehow wires got crossed and someone approved different patches for different ships. I think TNG returned to the original idea.