Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old March 24 2013, 10:00 AM   #16
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Why my friend doesn't like DS9: Sisko.

Vanyel wrote: View Post

Yes, we have the God's eye view, and can see both sides. And it is because we have that view we can feel angry with Sisko, sympathy for Picard, then happiness at Sisko finally working his way through his feeling and finally leaving the Battle of Wolf 359 behind him.

Some viewers can't.
Clearly, we are the better trekkies.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 10:10 AM   #17
lurok
Commodore

They should have had a Sisko-Janeway crossover at the beginning of Caretaker.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 10:28 AM   #18
Dream
Admiral

lurok wrote: View Post
They should have had a Sisko-Janeway crossover at the beginning of Caretaker.
Sisko was too busy doing important stuff.
Old March 24 2013, 11:53 AM   #19
hayesc0
Lieutenant

I dont understand this sisko acted the same way most of us would have acted in his position people misplace anger all the time
hayesc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 12:12 PM   #20
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I'm doing it right now.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 04:42 PM   #21
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Yeah rewatching Emissary now, I do think Sisko comes on a bit too strong in that scene. But it's still compelling as hell to watch, and their final scene together does a great job smoothing things over.

The only thing that seems weird to me, and a bit jarring, is that after that first meeting Sisko's right back to being his happy go lucky self in the next scene. Lol
I think I might be the only person on the planet that thinks Picard is the asshat in that episode.

Fair enough that perhaps Sisko is a bit unfair in his attitude twoard Picard, but the dismissive manner in which Picard treats Sisko is totally unwarranted, IMO.

Picard comes off as an elitist prick sitting there playing with his matched tea service all the while lecturing Sisko (lost wife and being posted to a floating garbage dump) about having to put up with the hardships of the service.

This is an early indicator of why I came to like DSN much more than I ever liked TNG.
Old March 24 2013, 05:07 PM   #22
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I like DS9 because the characters are flawed. Sisko isn't some confident paragon like Picard. He starts the series a broken man. Kira was a terrorist, Odo helped out during the occupation, Bashir lied to get in to Starfleet and don't get me started on Garak...

The flaws and different facets are what make these characters so much more interesting than Geordi LaForge, Dr. Crusher or Troi.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 08:20 PM   #23
indolover
Fleet Captain

Tosk wrote: View Post
It's easy for us as an audience to say that Sisko was too harsh (I disagree, but whatever) ...but if a man who had suffered brain trauma and was not himself murdered your family, I'd bet real money you'd have an attitude when meeting him three years later after he was healed. If you say you'd be fine with him, I don't believe you.
Speak for yourself.
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 08:45 PM   #24
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I like DS9 because the characters are flawed. Sisko isn't some confident paragon like Picard. He starts the series a broken man. Kira was a terrorist, Odo helped out during the occupation, Bashir lied to get in to Starfleet and don't get me started on Garak...

The flaws and different facets are what make these characters so much more interesting than Geordi LaForge, Dr. Crusher or Troi.
Agreed. I only started watching the first season recently, but I do like that they are inherently flawed from the get-go.
Old March 24 2013, 09:02 PM   #25
Use of Time
Commodore

Mysterion wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
Yeah rewatching Emissary now, I do think Sisko comes on a bit too strong in that scene. But it's still compelling as hell to watch, and their final scene together does a great job smoothing things over.

The only thing that seems weird to me, and a bit jarring, is that after that first meeting Sisko's right back to being his happy go lucky self in the next scene. Lol
I think I might be the only person on the planet that thinks Picard is the asshat in that episode.

Fair enough that perhaps Sisko is a bit unfair in his attitude twoard Picard, but the dismissive manner in which Picard treats Sisko is totally unwarranted, IMO.

Picard comes off as an elitist prick sitting there playing with his matched tea service all the while lecturing Sisko (lost wife and being posted to a floating garbage dump) about having to put up with the hardships of the service.

This is an early indicator of why I came to like DSN much more than I ever liked TNG.
Picard wasn't an asshat at all. He was there to give a briefing to the stations new Commander. Sisko started whining about the posting to a superior officer. The response is pretty much what I expect to hear in any line of the military. Maybe an ENS would say something like "its not ideal here" but Sisko has been around long enough to know better. I would have asked Sisko why he even bothered to show up in the first place if that was going to be his attitude.

As for his latent hostility to Picard, I think that it is completely understandable regardless of the circumstances. That face is one he will always associate with the death of his wife. He gets a freebie here and Picard seemed to understand that. Picard didn't seem to appreciate the implication but didn't press the issue with Sisko and let him vent.

I thought Picard handled it the best way he could by keeping the meeting strictly business. Sisko came around in his own time.

Last edited by Use of Time; March 24 2013 at 09:36 PM.
Use of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 11:23 PM   #26
Tosk
Rear Admiral

indolover wrote: View Post
It's easy for us as an audience to say that Sisko was too harsh (I disagree, but whatever) ...but if a man who had suffered brain trauma and was not himself murdered your family, I'd bet real money you'd have an attitude when meeting him three years later after he was healed. If you say you'd be fine with him, I don't believe you.
Speak for yourself.
Isn't that what I did?
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 11:37 PM   #27
indolover
Fleet Captain

indolover wrote: View Post
Speak for yourself.
Isn't that what I did?

Well either that nor narcissistically project your biases onto others.
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 02:47 AM   #28
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

If you haven't guessed by now, the reason he doesn't like Sisko and by extension DS9 is because of how Sisko treated Picard in their first meeting on board the Enterprise in Emissary. I should have thought of that because my friend is very much a part of Team Picard
Let me get this straight. Your friend was extremely attached to someone. That person, Picard, was attacked by Sisko's actions. On a single occasion, years and years ago. Under circumstances which have long since been justified to some extent.

And yet your friend won't let it go after all this time, choosing to continue disliking Sisko regardless.

The irony is appalling.

It is not linear.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 03:03 AM   #29
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
If you haven't guessed by now, the reason he doesn't like Sisko and by extension DS9 is because of how Sisko treated Picard in their first meeting on board the Enterprise in Emissary. I should have thought of that because my friend is very much a part of Team Picard
Let me get this straight. Your friend was extremely attached to someone. That person, Picard, was attacked by Sisko's actions. On a single occasion, years and years ago. Under circumstances which have long since been justified to some extent.

And yet your friend won't let it go after all this time, choosing to continue disliking Sisko regardless.

The irony is appalling.

It is not linear.
True, but if he had left it as "I don't like shows with story arcs." I'd have left him alone. But he added in he didn't like Sisko, so I had to know why.
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 03:07 AM   #30
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Sisko went through pain, grief, and anger for three years following Wolf 359 and finally encountered the man whose face was forever etched in his mind as the one responsible for it all. Sure, you can say his anger was misplaced, but when he saw Picard, he didn't see a fellow Starfleet officer, but rather Locutus of Borg. Sisko had to undergo a personal journey (albeit with the help of the Wormhole aliens) to let all of that go and start living again.

So in "Emissary," a still grieving Sisko felt some initial resentment towards Picard--but he got over it by the end of the episode. Hating Sisko because he wasn't from the start a card-carrying member of the Picard Fan Club is lame.