New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 24 2013, 11:14 PM   #16
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Any chance...

^^Unless he kept naming each one Porthos. This could have been Porthos VI.
Old March 24 2013, 11:14 PM   #17
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I would still like to know what the beagle's name was. Assuming the canine life expectancy in the 22nd-23rd century is ~20 years, we have to think Jon was on his fifth or sixth, which would mean he ran out of Musketeers.
Maybe he started adding numbers. Porthos VI

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 11:21 PM   #18
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

I think Archer died shortly after the 1701 was launched. I don't remember where it is from, I think someone found a screenshot from the mirror universe episode where they are looking at his bio. He was also President of the Federation. So he's probably dead by the time of the new movies. It may be slightly different than the Prime universe, but I doubt any differences in the timeline would have affected him much.

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
^^Unless he kept naming each one Porthos. This could have been Porthos VI.
Just like Uga.
Old March 24 2013, 11:28 PM   #19
YellowSubmarine
Commodore

Too bad Karyn Archer was half-Ikaaran, otherwise she could have been born anyway...

Nah, actually, screw that, too obscure, won't make a difference. Having an officer named, say, Samantha Archer would be a cool enough. It will establish continuity, please Enterprise fans, without standing in the way. Myself, I'd rather have a quasi-Vulcan named Tucker. It will retroactively extinguish the disaster that was TATW.

And, while I hope Spock Prime isn't into gossip, some random references to the future Starfleet can also fit in. Makes me wonder, could he also be from the timeline where Voyager's Endgame did not happen? He'll never know Voyager was ever in the delta quadrant.
Old March 24 2013, 11:31 PM   #20
Franklin
Rear Admiral

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
I would still like to know what the beagle's name was. Assuming the canine life expectancy in the 22nd-23rd century is ~20 years, we have to think Jon was on his fifth or sixth, which would mean he ran out of Musketeers.
Maybe he started adding numbers. Porthos VI
With colons. Porthos VI: The Son of Rover.

Then, he rebooted the genetic line and called the first new puppy born in that line just, "Porthos." But, a lot of people said the dog looked nothing like the original to them.
Old March 25 2013, 12:07 AM   #21
Beagleman
Captain

I think letters, Porthos-D, Porthos-E...
Beagleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 12:13 AM   #22
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

YellowSubmarine wrote: View Post
Myself, I'd rather have a quasi-Vulcan named Tucker.
I like T'Rip better.
Old March 25 2013, 12:13 AM   #23
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Beagleman wrote: View Post
I think letters, Porthos-D, Porthos-E...

I think poor Porthos paid a few visits to re-pet...
Old March 25 2013, 12:17 AM   #24
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

So which one liked to play baliz?
Old March 25 2013, 07:55 AM   #25
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

I would still like to know what the beagle's name was.
"Gorn".

Gorn out there, thataway.

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
I think Archer died shortly after the 1701 was launched. I don't remember where it is from, I think someone found a screenshot from the mirror universe episode where they are looking at his bio. He was also President of the Federation.

ENT Archer biography by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

Archer "...died at his home in upstate New York in the year 2245, exactly one day after attending the christening ceremony of the first Federation starship Enterprise, NCC-1701".

Although Mike Sussman, who wrote the text that would appear on the computer screen, never expected it to be legible (and part of it wasn't) or necessarily canonical.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 10:41 AM   #26
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

When I brought up the Admiral Archer thing in the ENT forum a few years ago, Mike Sussman posted this rather amusing reply:
MikeSussman wrote: View Post
As the author of the Archer bio, I can confirm that -- at least in the prime timeline -- Archer clung to life just long enough to personally witness the launch of the NCC-1701 in 2245, and died peacefully the next day. In the alternate timeline, he held on an extra thirteen years in order to see the maiden flight of the Enterprise-JJ in 2258 -- after which he promptly dropped dead.
Old March 25 2013, 02:03 PM   #27
The Wormhole
Admiral

^^It's as good as canon to me.

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Although Mike Sussman, who wrote the text that would appear on the computer screen, never expected it to be legible (and part of it wasn't) or necessarily canonical.
But didn't he say that because Archer's bio included info about Shran that was contradicted by TATV? Not that Trek fandom ever had a problem disregarding TATV...
Old March 25 2013, 02:20 PM   #28
YellowSubmarine
Commodore

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
But didn't he say that because Archer's bio included info about Shran that was contradicted by TATV? Not that Trek fandom ever had a problem disregarding TATV...
Canon works the opposite way around in TATV. Anything that violates canon established by TATV should be praised as much a regular canon violation would be condemned. For example, if the changes in nuKirk's uniform make you go to the shooting range to release your anger and disappointment, a TATV-era photo of Archer with the wrong insignia should make you send flowers to everyone you know.
Old March 25 2013, 02:32 PM   #29
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Admiral Archer's Prized Beagle is probably the label on a cabinet, displaying the poor animal after it's been taxidermied. 100 years is a long time. A exhibited artifect showing the first dog to travel aboard Earth's first warp 5 starship. Some Academy museum curator unaware it's name was Porthos. Riker and Troi didn't seem to know the dog's name either, only that Archer had one.

That probably gets around Scotty's need for something to test, that's biomatter... and what more could happen to the dog? It's already long dead. It just makes his actions seem like a frat boy prank.

Last edited by ChristopherPike; March 25 2013 at 02:44 PM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 02:53 PM   #30
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

captain-brad wrote: View Post
Any chance that Scott Bakula appears as "Admiral Archer" in STID? They went to the trouble of not only mentioning him in the first movie, but Kirk had some throwaway line about knowing his beagle. Also, it looks like the villain's plans in the sequel have his sights set on earth itself, which would definitely draw the attention of the fleet admiral. I haven't heard any official word on it, but it seems as though Kurtzman and Orci went out of their way to set him up and Kirk's familiarity with at least his dog in the first movie, so I could see this happening without us knowing until we see the flick. JJ is into that whole secrecy thing.
You maybe think Benedict's character is somehow connected to Archer?

Only slightly crazier than a Brit playing a genetically engineered Latino-Super Sikh, I suppose!

Last edited by ChristopherPike; March 25 2013 at 03:47 PM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote