Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate the comics
Excellent 5 14.71%
Above Average 13 38.24%
Average 10 29.41%
Below Average 2 5.88%
Poor 4 11.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 24 2013, 02:10 PM   #196
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile
Re: Countdown to Darkness - Review and Discussion

Sto-Vo-Kory wrote: View Post
Has anyone read issue #3 yet?
Scroll down

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=200929&page=25

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 02:19 PM   #197
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

I liked issue #3, right up until the point where April explained how he was able to commandeer the Enterprise. I could not believe that Starfleet copied April's failsafe program from the previous Enterprise into the new Enterprise's computer. My reaction was, "What? How does that even make any foxtroting sense?"

I feel like I've read this particular story before, but I'm having a difficult time placing exactly where.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 05:04 PM   #198
Paris
Fleet Captain

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I liked issue #3, right up until the point where April explained how he was able to commandeer the Enterprise. I could not believe that Starfleet copied April's failsafe program from the previous Enterprise into the new Enterprise's computer. My reaction was, "What? How does that even make any foxtroting sense?"

I feel like I've read this particular story before, but I'm having a difficult time placing exactly where.
I felt exactly the same. This is the laziest piece of writing in this series yet. I hate deus ex machina solutions like that. I can not believe that starfleet engineers would be that lazy when setting up the computer systems on the top of the line ships. It's just not believeable at all.
Why would they "copy" it anyways? It's a completely new ship. Just because of the name Enterprise? Ridiculous.
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 10:49 PM   #199
The Wormhole
Admiral

A problem I'm having so far is why did they bother to make Mudd Bajoran? Based on issue 3, there is nothing in the story the requires her to be a Bajoran and no reason she couldn't have been human. I guess wth her apparentally being Harry Mudd's daughter the thinking was make her part alien to explain how someone as young as Harry Mudd should be could have a grown daughter. Problem with that is there's never been any indication Bajorans age at a different rate than humans.

They should have just made her human. That would mean thta in this timeline Harry Mudd would have to be older. Though I suppose that would place his birth in the pre-2233 zone which must match up with the Prime Universe (assuming his birth isn't already). But really, at this point, maybe we should just throw that idea out and accept the Abramsverse as a seperate reality althogther? Certainly would solve a lot of problems.
Old March 25 2013, 02:11 AM   #200
Christopher
Writer

Has she said her father's name is Harcourt Fenton Mudd? Perhaps Harry had an older brother.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 02:44 AM   #201
ATimson
Rear Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
A problem I'm having so far is why did they bother to make Mudd Bajoran? Based on issue 3, there is nothing in the story the requires her to be a Bajoran and no reason she couldn't have been human. I guess wth her apparentally being Harry Mudd's daughter the thinking was make her part alien to explain how someone as young as Harry Mudd should be could have a grown daughter.
Daughter? Really? My impression was that she was born instead of Harry Mudd... (Which would make Mudd slightly younger than Kirk instead of older like the actors were, but I don't think it's a major shift.)

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 03:17 AM   #202
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ It seems obvious that, in TOS, Harry Mudd is older than Kirk. So naturally there would have to be a Mudd in the Abrams timeline as well as in the prime version.

And we have no idea when first contact with the Bajorans took place. Thus it's not entirely unusual for Harry to have fathered a child by a Bajoran woman - in either timeline.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 10:12 AM   #203
Christopher
Writer

Not to mention that when you have travellers wandering into the frontier ahead of the expansion of their societies' formal influence, there can be more than one "first contact," e.g. private individuals meeting well before their governments do.

Old March 25 2013, 02:22 PM   #204
The Wormhole
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Has she said her father's name is Harcourt Fenton Mudd? Perhaps Harry had an older brother.
I assumed when April mentioned her disreputable father that disreputable daddy was meant to be Harry Mudd. Yes, there's wiggle room in the intrepretation, but Orci did develop the story for this, and he does maintain that Admiral Archer mentioned in Trek XI is meant to be Jonathan Archer, so it wouldn't too much of a stretch to assume the intent was for the character to be the daughter of Harry Mudd.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
And we have no idea when first contact with the Bajorans took place. Thus it's not entirely unusual for Harry to have fathered a child by a Bajoran woman - in either timeline.
But, so far there's no reason why the character has to be Bajoran. She could easily be human with no changes to the story.
Old March 25 2013, 02:30 PM   #205
Christopher
Writer

^Intent doesn't count if it isn't on the page. After all, writers can change their minds, or later writers can reinterpret their work. Even if her father was intended to be Harry Mudd, that doesn't conclusively rule out the possibility that it was Harry's big brother or father or something. After all, we don't know Harry's life story; maybe he modeled himself on an older relative.

Old March 25 2013, 06:45 PM   #206
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

I have not gotten issue 3 yet, but issue 2 was not all that appealing starting with April's Enterprise. By the end of the week, I should get to my comic book store.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 05:45 AM   #207
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

Maybe someone can check with Orci over at Trekmovie on what his intention was. The story developer, artists and script writers are good enough sources for me if the comics aren't going to give Harry's name explicitly.

As for Harry Mudd, while his age was never given, according to Memory Alpha, Mudd's age was originally supposed to be 47 during "Mudd's Women" (thus a birth year of 2219). By 2259, he would be approximately 40, so a daughter who is 20 or so isn't out of the question.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 11:18 AM   #208
Psi'a Meese
Lieutenant Commander

Regarding April's command in the comic, I do wonder if that might be the Abrams-verse version of the Constitution-class. And as others suggested, with a less legendary registry. Technically to be in the Enterprise lineage it need only carry the name and 01 within its registry. Again, slightly more advanced since the Narada incursion of 2233. Yet scaled within comfort levels of some of us die-hards.

If so, this could make the oversize Starship-class actually plausible as read on that dedication plaque on Pike/Kirk's bridge. It would certainly put that old chestnut to bed in this case.
Old March 28 2013, 01:43 PM   #209
The Wormhole
Admiral

^^Various behind the scenes stuff for Trek XI, including the movie's website referred to the Enterprise as Constitution class. They just used Starship class on the plaque because that's what was written in TOS.

Interestingly enough, when the Defiant was on Enterprise its plaque actually did have Constitution class written on it.
Old March 28 2013, 02:56 PM   #210
Christopher
Writer

Psi'a Meese wrote: View Post
Technically to be in the Enterprise lineage it need only carry the name and 01 within its registry.
There is absolutely no valid reason why the number would have anything to do with it. Registry numbers serve a different purpose from names, not a redundant one, so both in real life and in most Trek contexts, different ships of the same name have no commonalities of registry number. For instance, the three American aircraft carriers named Enterprise are CV-6 (1938-47), CVN-65 (1961-2012), and CVN-80 (scheduled for commissioning in 2025). And in Trek, the three canonical USS Intrepids are NCC-1631, -38907, and -74600 (not counting the Earth Starfleet Intrepid, whose registry is unknown).

The whole "1701-Letter" thing is an anomalous conceit introduced by TVH and picked up by TNG, but it's pretty much unique to the name Enterprise (and a couple of other ship names in the novels and comics) and it wasn't a practice in use prior to TVH (the idea is apparently that it was a custom adopted to honor the ship for its achievements in saving the Earth and so forth). So there's no reason such an unconventional numbering practice would've already been in use as early as the 2250s. If there was another Enterprise prior to the one launched in 2258 in the Abramsverse, there's no reason why its registry number would be expected to have anything in common with the number "1701."