Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 24 2013, 06:08 PM   #1
bullethead
Fleet Captain

New STID pics

Some publicity pics from Empire magazine and the STID app. TrekMovie theorizes the white thing is a photon torpedo.

I just want to know what's up with these weird uniforms Bones, Kirk, and Carol Marcus are wearing. Starfleet's going crazy with uniform variants in the Abramsverse or something.
Old March 24 2013, 06:14 PM   #2
WarpFactorZ
Captain

Re: New STID pics

Didn't see those other two pics. Nice Klingon disruptor Uhura is sporting!
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 06:19 PM   #3
F. King Daniel
Admiral

The uniforms are flight jackets according to Trekmovie.com, worn over the standard duty uniform. Those bits of colour are clear "windows" showing the department colours underneath. I suspect they're just as good for away teams on chilly planets.

The disruptor is excellent, very true to the originals. I like the Klingon bead curtains too!
Old March 24 2013, 06:23 PM   #4
Flake
Commodore

Yes there are a lot of costume changes in this movie! In contrast to Generations where they could only afford to make two new DS9 style costumes for Picard and Data whilst poor Riker had to wear Avery Brooks' uniform which was clearly too small for him
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 06:26 PM   #5
bullethead
Fleet Captain

King Daniel wrote: View Post
The disruptor is excellent, very true to the originals. I like the Klingon bead curtains too!
I don't know, the person who made them clearly dishonored the building they were in by making them so flimsy
Old March 24 2013, 06:37 PM   #6
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

bullethead wrote: View Post
Some publicity pics from Empire magazine and the STID app. TrekMovie theorizes the white thing is a photon torpedo.
Well it does say "Phot" on the side, so I'd say it's a safe bet. It also looks like it says CVN65 on one of the winglets; if so that's a odd little shout out--unless it's a wink and nod to someone that team knows.

If it is a photon, I like it. As much as I liked the chiklet of doom designs, this looks like it could be some form of a missile weapon.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 06:45 PM   #7
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Maybe the difference in shape is because Starfleet has reverse-engineered or based designs on Nero's weapons? It does look a little like one of the Narada's cluster missiles.

The writers did say that scans of the Narada have been influencing Starfleet since the Kelvin was attacked.
Old March 24 2013, 06:47 PM   #8
SeerSGB
Admiral

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Maybe the difference in shape is because Starfleet has reverse-engineered or based designs on Nero's weapons? It does look a little like one of the Narada's cluster missiles.

The writers did say that scans of the Narada have been influencing Starfleet since the Kelvin was attacked.
I'm looking at the thing and thinking "Multitool": Swap the misson packages around and you've got a multi-use case for anything from a photon to a spy-drone.
Old March 24 2013, 06:48 PM   #9
bullethead
Fleet Captain

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Well it does say "Phot" on the side, so I'd say it's a safe bet. It also looks like it says CVN65 on one of the winglets; if so that's a odd little shout out--unless it's a wink and nod to someone that team knows.
It's probably a reference to the carrier USS Enterprise that recently got decommissioned and set to the scrappers.
Old March 24 2013, 06:54 PM   #10
SeerSGB
Admiral

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
It's probably a reference to the carrier USS Enterprise that recently got decommissioned and set to the scrappers.
I know, which is what's so out of place to me about it unless it's a shout out to a friend/family member. I would think if it was a reference to the carrier, that'd tack her hull number onto a starship or shuttle not a torpedo.
Old March 24 2013, 07:03 PM   #11
DaveyNY
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DaveyNY Send a message via Yahoo to DaveyNY

It's the Genesis Torpedo!!

NOT....
I must go out in2 space again for the call of adventure cries. With a steady hand & robust crew I'll take her forth with pride. I must go out in2 space again to a vagabond Captains life. Where comets play & galaxies sway like whirlwinds in the night.
DaveyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 07:16 PM   #12
CorporalClegg
Admiral

daveyNY wrote: View Post
It's the Genesis Torpedo!!

NOT....
Dollars to donuts it's some kind of proto-conception of a Genesis-like device, like some kind of weapon that reduces all living matter to subatomic particles.
Old March 24 2013, 07:16 PM   #13
tmosler
Lieutenant Commander

what is starfleet created the genisses device to help remake vulcan
tmosler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 07:17 PM   #14
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

from Empire

Last edited by SalvorHardin; March 24 2013 at 08:51 PM.
SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 07:42 PM   #15
RAMA
Vice Admiral

The recent pics are fantastic...I have...no...idea...what...that...torpedo...is....

RAMA