RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,466
Posts: 5,508,875
Members: 25,133
Currently online: 555
Newest member: laibcoms

TrekToday headlines

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Seriously, who the hell is she??
A long overdue family reunion - Clara's a fobwatched & regenerated Susan! 1 1.56%
The One Who Got Away - Clara's a fobwatched & regenerated Romana! 3 4.69%
'Til Death do us part? I don't think so, Sweetie - Clara's a fobwatched & regenerated post-Library River! 0 0%
She's a MAN, man - Clara's a fobwatched & regenerated Master! 0 0%
If at first you don't succeed... - Clara's the ultimate Anti-Doctor weapon of the Silence, Mark II! 3 4.69%
A sneak preview of things to come - Clara's a Watcher, but WILL BE the Twelfth Doctor! 0 0%
Hello again - Clara's a fobwatched, future (post-Doctor) version of Sexy! 2 3.13%
Eye See You - Clara's Prisoner Zero! 0 0%
You'll never see it coming - None of the above, and even stranger than all! 56 87.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 23 2013, 02:06 PM   #211
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral
 
Allyn Gibson's Avatar
 
Location: South Pennsyltucky
View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

Psion wrote: View Post
I just heard a rumor that Peter Jackson will be directing the 50th anniversary special.

He's not. Nick Hurran (director of "The Girl Who Waited") is directing the episode. Jackson will be busy in New Zealand prepping the third filming block of The Hobbit in mid-April (when the Anniversary Special lenses) since filming resumes at the end of May (which is creating a two-month break in Sherlock filming).
__________________
"When David Marcus cited the great thinkers of history -- "Newton, Einstein, Surak" -- Newt Gingrich did not make his list." -- 24 January 2012

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 02:46 PM   #212
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Okay, there is a rumor (the latest of many) about Smith leaving, but the Beeb's response is noncommittal, that "even we don't know what's going to happen at Christmas." So this is far from a confirmed fact at this point.
They're not really hands-on, are they?
I take it you didn't follow my link. I didn't quote the next line, which explained that they don't know what will happen because it hasn't been written yet. So presumably nobody knows that yet. Somehow the audience always seems to assume that the creators of a work of serial fiction have every move plotted out years in advance, but really they might only have the next few months plotted out at any given time -- heck, the producers of a show would be foolish not to keep their options open and be able to adapt to changing circumstances. Matt Smith himself may not have even decided what career path he's going to follow 9 months or a year from now, because he's busy working on more immediate stuff.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 02:56 PM   #213
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

Christopher wrote: View Post
I take it you didn't follow my link. I didn't quote the next line, which explained that they don't know what will happen because it hasn't been written yet.
That's what I call "not being hands-on". The BBC could have a completely different attitude about it, this being a very expensive and popular show, and ask the showrunner to give them a detailed preview of what to expect in the next couple of months. They choose not to, but they could.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 03:41 PM   #214
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
I take it you didn't follow my link. I didn't quote the next line, which explained that they don't know what will happen because it hasn't been written yet.
That's what I call "not being hands-on". The BBC could have a completely different attitude about it, this being a very expensive and popular show, and ask the showrunner to give them a detailed preview of what to expect in the next couple of months. They choose not to, but they could.
Consider though, what they admit to knowing, or not knowing, in public might not have any reflection to what's going on inside the BBC.

The BBC could be negotiating with Smith right now to continue. Or they already know he's not coming back and they are discussing plans.

A press release isn't some sort of gospel truth.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 03:54 PM   #215
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
A press release isn't some sort of gospel truth.
Maybe not, but there's a very good reason why press releases are mostly true most of the time: because if they stop being reliable, and are instead filled with lies and fabrications, then journalists will instantly stop using them, quoting from them and acknowledging them, and that's quite a lot of free publicity that's gonna vanish. There is, in my experience, a mutually beneficial gentleman agreement that press releases are trustworthy.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 05:38 PM   #216
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
A press release isn't some sort of gospel truth.
Maybe not, but there's a very good reason why press releases are mostly true most of the time: because if they stop being reliable, and are instead filled with lies and fabrications, then journalists will instantly stop using them, quoting from them and acknowledging them, and that's quite a lot of free publicity that's gonna vanish. There is, in my experience, a mutually beneficial gentleman agreement that press releases are trustworthy.
True. That said, there is probably truth in it, they don't know what's going to happen for the Christmas Episode, but it doesn't mean they aren't talking about it behind closed doors.

Why should those sort of discussions be transparent at all times? It could ruin stories, ruin negotiations.

My point is, as there might be some truth in what they say, we, as readers of press releases shouldn't read more into them than is there.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 09:35 PM   #217
Psion
Commodore
 
Psion's Avatar
 
Location: Lat: 40.1630936 Lon: -75.1183777
View Psion's Twitter Profile
Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Psion wrote: View Post
I just heard a rumor that Peter Jackson will be directing the 50th anniversary special.

He's not. Nick Hurran (director of "The Girl Who Waited") is directing the episode. Jackson will be busy in New Zealand prepping the third filming block of The Hobbit in mid-April (when the Anniversary Special lenses) since filming resumes at the end of May (which is creating a two-month break in Sherlock filming).
Not according to my sources.
__________________
Twinkies are back. I knew they couldn't stay away from me for long.
Psion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 02:54 PM   #218
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
I take it you didn't follow my link. I didn't quote the next line, which explained that they don't know what will happen because it hasn't been written yet.
That's what I call "not being hands-on". The BBC could have a completely different attitude about it, this being a very expensive and popular show, and ask the showrunner to give them a detailed preview of what to expect in the next couple of months. They choose not to, but they could.
Again, you missed the key part of what I said. The showrunner himself might not know yet either. The decision might not have been made yet at all, by anyone. Like I said, creators don't have everything planned out years in advance. A lot of the time, if they don't have an answer about what's happening in the future, it's not because they're being cagey or deceptive but just because they haven't figured it out yet, because they're too busy dealing with their current workload to have figured out what's happening nine months from now.

Honestly, I don't understand why you hear "We don't know yet" and instantly assume it's untrue. Why is it so hard to believe that the parties involved just haven't reached a firm decision yet? Have you always known exactly what career or relationship choices you were going to make nine months or a year in the future? Haven't you ever been in a position where there were various possibilities you had to consider and were weighing your options before choosing which path to take, or were so busy dealing with more immediate concerns that you had to leave that future decision up in the air?
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 03:17 PM   #219
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

Christopher wrote: View Post
Again, you missed the key part of what I said.
Ironically, so did you, Chris.

Honestly, I don't understand why you hear "We don't know yet" and instantly assume it's untrue.
I don't. I just think - and that's the only thing I've said - that a manager who doesn't expect those who work under his supervision to give him any heads-up on what they have planned in the next couple of months is not particularly "hands-on". In fact, in most businesses, that kind of attitude would be considered spectacularly negligent.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 03:36 PM   #220
DWF
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

Recently I've come to suspect that Clara's mystery has to do with the anniversary date, since the last two seasons have revolved around a date I think that the case this time as well.

As for what Moffat should know, the Christmas special has been planned so he has to have some kowledge of events up to that point.
__________________
The greatest science fiction series of all time is
Doctor Who! And I'll take you all on, one-by-one
or all in a bunch to back it up!"
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 04:46 PM   #221
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
I just think - and that's the only thing I've said - that a manager who doesn't expect those who work under his supervision to give him any heads-up on what they have planned in the next couple of months is not particularly "hands-on".
But again, you're making the unexamined assumption that they do, in fact, already have something planned, and my point is that they may not. As I said, it isn't that the management hasn't asked -- it's that the producers themselves haven't decided yet, that the script hasn't been written yet, that perhaps Smith hasn't chosen yet one way or the other. It's not about management failing to ask the question, it's about the answer not existing yet.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 04:53 PM   #222
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

Christopher wrote: View Post
But again, you're making the unexamined assumption that they do, in fact, already have something planned, and my point is that they may not. As I said, it isn't that the management hasn't asked -- it's that the producers themselves haven't decided yet, that the script hasn't been written yet, that perhaps Smith hasn't chosen yet one way or the other. It's not about management failing to ask the question, it's about the answer not existing yet.
I don't know where you've worked and in what capacity, but it's been my observation that in the working world, when the boss says "give me an outline of what you intend to do", the correct answer is "yes, I'll do it right now", and certainly not "oh I haven't thought about it yet, I really have no idea".
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 05:11 PM   #223
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

^No, no, you're not getting it. It's not that they haven't thought about it, but maybe they haven't made a final decision yet. There are lots of reasons why they wouldn't be certain yet what's going to happen at the end of the year. They may still be weighing their options. They may just be too busy with finishing the current season. There's a huge, huge difference between not having a decision and not even having thought about it yet. Go back to what I asked before. Have you honestly never in your entire life had a decision coming up in the midrange future that you needed time to figure out? Like, say, which college to attend after high school, or whether you could afford to move to a new apartment when your current lease expired? Really, this isn't that hard to understand.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 05:27 PM   #224
Atticus
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: UK
Send a message via AIM to Atticus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Atticus Send a message via Yahoo to Atticus
Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

Well I'm glad that's all sorted out then. Good job everybody
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 05:31 PM   #225
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

Is Clara absolutely 100% confirmed for Series 8? I've been busy re-reading the Dune series and fighting the snow so am kinda behind.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.