To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old March 20 2013, 06:37 AM   #76
mos6507
Captain

Re: so THATS why some of the cast didn't like Diana Muldaur

BillJ wrote: View Post
I'm just confused what TOS has to do with what was going on during season two of TNG, which was filmed eighteen years later.
Seems like whatever distraction was created by going slightly off-topic has been only multiplied by you playing topic-policeman. Maybe next time just let it slide. It's not exactly a big deal.

--

As for Pulaski, McCoy just had more heart. His crabbiness was really a very thin outer shell, but you could tell he was a softy. Pulaski came across as cold and impersonal, as an outsider, not a team-player at all. So adding crew conflict is good, but not when it seems like she isn't even trying to work towards a common goal.
Old March 21 2013, 07:46 AM   #77
Lt. LaForge
Lieutenant Commander

I love Dr. Pulaski. I do equally love Dr. Crusher, therefore, a great scenario for me would have been for them to split the series right down the middle.
Lt. LaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 08:42 AM   #78
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Interesting idea in the OP about why Muldaur never bonded with the cast.

On screen, there seemed to be an ensemble problem. Then again, Muldaur was never credited as part of the ensemble to begin with, which was always going to be an elephant in the room with Pulaski. Maybe if she had come back for season three, she could have joined the ensemble proper, but for season two, Pulaski always seemed grafted onto the cast.

USS Kongo wrote: View Post
^ I wonder if the TNG producers were going for a more "Spock/McCoy" feel with Pulaski and Data--and if that was the case, they forgot one important thing: Spock wasn't an innocent; he often gave as good as he got with McCoy.

Seeing Pulaski verbally pick on the child-like Data was about as fun as watching somebody kick a puppy. You're right not to blame Muldaur, since she was just following what was written for her.

Sean
Exactly.

Sadara wrote: View Post
I liked Dr. Pulaski. She took no bullshit and as for picking on Data, that didn't last long. I honestly thought she brought a little needed conflict. I don't dislike Crusher, but it seemed like Pulaski had more character development in one season than Crusher did in six of them.
Well, I like Crusher too, but you're right about Pulaski having more character development. IIRC, Unnatural Selection was the turning point. Some Trek fans repeatedly point out that TNG had no character arcs whatsoever. However, Pulaski's was a definite exception, whether by accident, design, or from correcting an initial conception of her that just wasn't going to work in the long run.

As for the part about much needed conflict, yes, absolutely. Evidently, the writers were trying to make 24th century humanity seem more realistic by adding some interpersonal conflict, something sorely missing from season one, beyond "Shut up, Wesley". It's just that the interpersonal conflict involving Pulaski misfired in more ways than one. Also, that way of bringing dramatic tension was usually centered around her, so that Pulaski came off like a cranky old aunt grafted onto the Cleavers.
Old March 22 2013, 09:39 PM   #79
LoneDragon
Lieutenant

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
More and More Marina Sirtis comes across as a bit of a douchebag. It's getting hard to take what she says seriously anymore.
Perhaps Demona rubbed off on her?
Then again, Demona had good reasons for being the ass she was, once you've seen all that she had been through.
LoneDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 10:09 PM   #80
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

You add O'Brien, Pulaski and Ro to TNG and what you get is Deep Space Nine.
Old March 24 2013, 03:28 AM   #81
Joby
Fleet Captain

DalekJim wrote: View Post
lurok wrote: View Post
Glad there are other Muldaur/Pulaski fans. I find McFadden (infact most of TNG) dull.
I think TNG is an excellent show for Seasons 3-5 but I'd agree McFadden's performance and character was dull. Compared to McCoy and Bashir, Crusher was a blank slate. There is no character there at all.

Pulaski was a big improvement.
I agree, Crusher was the worst doctor of all the Treks. McCoy, Bashir, the EMH and even Phlox were all better characters and played by far more watchable actors. Granted, Pulaski and Voyager's EMH were basically riffs of TOS McCoy character, but I'd rather have that then boring as Dr. Crusher and her stupid ass kid Welsey.

Gates McFadden was dull as dishwater and her character sucked.
Joby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 03:48 AM   #82
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Visitor1982 wrote: View Post
Muldaur got paid more than she was. Also, Muldaur was going to appear in the opening credits behind Stewart and Frakes. Sirtis opposed to that.
Unlikely. Billing in unionized film and TV is negotiated and part of the contract. The order of the credits was determined in season 1, and the way it worked was Stewart and Frakes first, and the remaining regular cast in alphabetical order based on last name. As a new actor coming into established billing Muldaur would either have been inserted as the last actor credited (as was the case when Jonathan Harris was added to Lost In Space) or—if the contract wasn't specific about the number of credits in the opening— inserted into the opening credits alphabetically (Burton, Dorn, Muldaur, Sirtis, Spiner, Wheaton). Instead, she chose to have a "Special Guest Star" credit in the credits at the top of the Act One.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 04:19 AM   #83
Dream
Admiral

When Muldaur joined the cast in season two as a special guest star, she was paid more than each of the main cast. Of course she left after one season and the rest of the cast ended up earning more because of how longer they were with the show by the end.
Old March 24 2013, 09:00 AM   #84
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I have only good things to say about Beverly Crusher. Still, I loved Pulaski as ship's medical officer. I would have loved to have seen them both on the show at the same time. It would have made for great tension, what with the cool, collected, professional Crusher, and her brilliant, but hot headed compatriot.
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 12:57 PM   #85
Mutai Sho-Rin

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I have only good things to say about Beverly Crusher. Still, I loved Pulaski as ship's medical officer. I would have loved to have seen them both on the show at the same time. It would have made for great tension, what with the cool, collected, professional Crusher, and her brilliant, but hot headed compatriot.
I vote for this observation. The way Pulaski evolved as S2 progressed, especially toward Data, was very well done. I liked Crusher from Day 1, as much for her weaknesses as her strengths (and I still think McFadden is very attractive).
Old March 24 2013, 02:44 PM   #86
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

mos6507 wrote: View Post
Seems like whatever distraction was created by going slightly off-topic has been only multiplied by you playing topic-policeman. Maybe next time just let it slide. It's not exactly a big deal.
It's not about playing "topic policeman". It was an honest question of how the two are even remotely related?
Old March 24 2013, 06:23 PM   #87
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

BillJ wrote: View Post
mos6507 wrote: View Post
It's not about playing "topic policeman". It was an honest question of how the two are even remotely related?
They weren't related in the least. It was just a lame attempt to deflect the point which was that the TNG cast were acting like a bunch of unprofessional jackasses towards a cast member who had not done any of them the least bit of harm.

I also wanted to note that I find mos6507's hypocrisy most precious since he was clearly playing "topic policeman" with you.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 05:14 AM   #88
Tulin
Vice Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
The producers REALLY didn't want three different CMDs for the first three seasons.
Could have been an interesting way to go with the series though, new doctor at the beginning of each season. Look at how many Chief Engineers Picard went through.

It could have been like a HP thing where they get a different DADA teacher at the start of each year!
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 05:14 PM   #89
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Mutai Sho-Rin wrote: View Post
I vote for this observation. The way Pulaski evolved as S2 progressed, especially toward Data, was very well done. I liked Crusher from Day 1, as much for her weaknesses as her strengths (and I still think McFadden is very attractive).
Oh, I definitely agree here. It's been noted many times, especially by Jonathan Frakes in his commentaries, that Gates was a hell of a prop user, and when you watch her on the show, you see how accurate that was. She was convincing!
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 05:37 PM   #90
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Oh, I definitely agree here. It's been noted many times, especially by Jonathan Frakes in his commentaries, that Gates was a hell of a prop user, and when you watch her on the show, you see how accurate that was. She was convincing!
In the Sternbach/Okuda TNG Technical Reference Manual, there's a footnote that Gates was concerned with getting medical procedures right, how the equipment supposedly worked, etc. The medical tricorder section of the book was based on notes she asked for regarding all the little buttons and labels on the prop and sequence of operation.