RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,670
Members: 24,822
Currently online: 495
Newest member: The Great Duck

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old March 16 2013, 07:30 PM   #61
Christopher
Writer

Re: The Life And Scandalous Times Of John Nathan-Turner

^There are countless "fan theories" that are complete nonsense. In fact, it isn't even valid to call them theories. A theory is a model that systematically explains a body of evidence in a way that makes predictions that can be tested to assess its validity. This is just speculation, and speculation is worthless without evidence. And in this particular case, it sounds quite ridiculous. Like somebody noticed that JNT wore loud shirts and was reminded of the Sixth Doctor's jacket and pulled some wild guess out of the air. It's not worth taking seriously.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 07:01 PM   #62
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ A theory doesn't have to be tested, or even testable, to be a theory. However, a good scientific theory is testable. Although, even in science, there are serious theories that are not currently testable, but perhaps someday they will be--such as string theory. Or even the Higgs-Boson until the LHC was created.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 06:50 PM   #63
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

The Grauniad has up a review of JN-T. I like this phrasing -- Richard Marson's "book is, in essence, a distended fanzine article, and not everything ghastly on its pages can be ascribed to his subject. "

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 03:49 PM   #64
Smoked Salmon
Lieutenant

I've just bee reading the various reviews for this today. I mst admit to being curious. THe JNT is exactly the era that I grew up with so I'd be interested to leanr of the "hanky panky" going on behind the scenes while little 5 year old salmon was sitting there watcing Peter Davison.
Smoked Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 11:40 AM   #65
arthur2sheds
Lieutenant

The Badger wrote: View Post
DWF wrote: View Post
IMO JNT should've left when Peter Davison left after that he really had no vision for the show and he did try to leave.
I vaguely recall an interview with someone, I think Gary Downie, who claimed JNT requested several times to be assigned to other jobs. He was apparently told in no uncertain terms that if he left Doctor Who, that would mean the end of the series there and then.
JNT's sexuality is not the issue for me, i believe he just stayed too long as producer.
The JNT/Gary Downie/Ian Levine story was covered in great detail for many years in the brilliant DWB fanzine.
I have scanned every issue of DWB
up until it became Dreamwatch, if anyone is interested in free copies of them.
Old March 24 2013, 02:38 PM   #66
Christopher
Writer

arthur2sheds wrote: View Post
JNT's sexuality is not the issue for me, i believe he just stayed too long as producer.
Yeah, I remember that back at the time, there was a lot of talk in fandom about how JNT had been in charge too long, the show was stagnating/losing its way, and someone new should be brought in to give it a fresh approach. This was probably before Cartmel's influence on the final season or two.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 04:21 PM   #67
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Well, I think the JNT era is the most creative, exciting, experimental and ambitious of the lot. Only Season 24 bugs me, but that has the very much awesome Paradise Towers.

80s was the best decade for televised Doctor Who, although the 60s aren't far behind.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 11:53 PM   #68
Atticus
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to Atticus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Atticus Send a message via Yahoo to Atticus

After a couple of reports in the Sundays, it's going front page...

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/statu...53108134010881
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 12:55 AM   #69
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

This is why I tend to ignore all the behind the scenes stuff on tv and the movies. Turns out a lot of the people you admire in your favorite programs are actually kinda dickish in real life.

Go figure.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 02:45 PM   #70
Iamnotspock
Captain

Here's a Starburst interview with Richard Marson about the book. The Mirror has, true to form, taken a few of its quotes from here, largely out of context.
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 03:41 AM   #71
Atticus
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to Atticus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Atticus Send a message via Yahoo to Atticus

Day 2:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...oOJmE.facebook
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 10:17 AM   #72
Starkers
Admiral

I think some of the papers are trying to spin this into something of Savile like proportions, when clearly it's a very different scenario. The reference in the Mirror article about them being treated like rock stars is very telling and I wonder if the media are going to go after every personality who's ever misued their poistion to get sex?

That doesn't make it right, but as far as we can determine this was concensual, and the main focus appears to be that they were under the then age of consent, which seems to suggested the Mirror/Mail feel the age of consent being 21 for homosexuals was right at the time?

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 11:54 AM   #73
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Yeah, if these fans are all over 16 then I don't see the issue. People have used power to attract sexual partners since the dawn of time, it's an animalistic and entirely natural way of attracting people.

If I was showrunner, half the fangirl population of Tumblr would be pregnant with my spawn.

Last edited by DalekJim; March 26 2013 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Typo.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 02:16 PM   #74
ROBE
Commander

I know as long as they were over 16 and consented big deal.
ROBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 09:33 PM   #75
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Unfortunately scandals sell papers, so what can we do?
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote