Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

View Poll Results: What ethnicity are you?
White 78 82.98%
Black 2 2.13%
Asian 1 1.06%
Hispanic 1 1.06%
Mixed race 5 5.32%
Other 7 7.45%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 23 2013, 04:44 PM   #91
Brown-Eyed Ghoul
Vice Admiral

Re: What ethnicity are you?

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
. . . The trouble with trying to say you live on a small island just north of Antarctica is anything further south is in the Great Southern Ocean not the Pacific.
It wouldn't really matter in the United States. I could say Tasmania, and all the interviewer would likely do is give me a blank stare anyway.
Mention Tasmania to most Americans and this is probably what first comes to mind.

Old March 23 2013, 06:18 PM   #92
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

scotpens wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
. . . The trouble with trying to say you live on a small island just north of Antarctica is anything further south is in the Great Southern Ocean not the Pacific.
It wouldn't really matter in the United States. I could say Tasmania, and all the interviewer would likely do is give me a blank stare anyway.
Mention Tasmania to most Americans and this is probably what first comes to mind.

But since Taz is awesome is there really anything to complain about
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 06:24 PM   #93
MANT!
Rear Admiral

White
Anglo
Saxon
Protestant...AKA WASP...

But I really identify myself as Californian
Old March 23 2013, 07:00 PM   #94
EmoBorg
Captain

Jono wrote: View Post
Mixed. White and Melanesian. I often get mistaken for being Polynesian.
What is the difference between Melanesian, Micronesian and Polynesian. Aren't all of you pacific islanders?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIRfc3ybbPg
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 07:48 PM   #95
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I honestly thought we were more diverse than that...hmmm.
Old March 23 2013, 07:57 PM   #96
Rainbow Dash
Osmotic Egghead

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

Scotpens wrote: View Post

I am rather short and somewhat furry...

RAMA wrote: View Post
It looks like I'm the only French Polynesian here.
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 08:49 PM   #97
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
But I don't see why. A person's ethnicity is absolutely no barometer of a person's aptitude for any job. It's like when they ask permission to check your credit rating. The reality, as you say, is that there are a million reasons a person might have a poor credit score, non of which have anything to do with an applicant's ability to work.
Well, if you're talking about specifically job applications then I agree.

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^Please don't take this as a personal attack, because you know I love ya, but the thing is, while it probably should be irrelevant, for anyone who's not white, it's not (I'm being Western-Centric right now, obviously). I hate to toss up words like privilege, but the experience of being White in America (and Canada and Western Europe, as far as I know) is markedly different from being Not White. Racial demographics are actually important in understanding things like social, educational, and financial inequity, violence, disease rates, morbidity, drug use, etc.

I admire the philosophy behind opting for "human" or "irrelevant" or whatever, but philosophy and reality aren't the same thing, and I think that entering incomplete data is just doing a disservice to those who don't have the luxury of considering their ethnicity irrelevant.
Glad someone wrote this

As a black American, I can tell you that all that "human" and "irrelevant" stuff is nonsense out in the real world. In fact the only folks that have the luxury of saying such things are white (or could pass as such). The rest of us know better.

I even consider the label "mixed" not particularly useful because in the real world it does not mean much. I mean honestly who isn't mixed?
I was with you till the end. Saying we're all mixed is as meaningless as saying we're all human. Sure, if you go back far enough, we're all mixed, and sure, ideally we should all recognize that, but being mixed race has its own meaning and issues in the real world -- I'm kind of baffled by anyone who can't see that!

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 08:55 PM   #98
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

RAMA wrote: View Post
We're very diverse. There are people who are...

Anti-flash white
Antique white
Beige
Blond
Cornsilk
Cosmic latte
Cream
Eggshell
Floral white
Ghost white
Honeydew
Isabelline
Ivory
Lavender blush
Lemon chiffon
Linen
Magnolia
Mint cream
Navajo white
Old lace
Papaya whip
Pearl
Seashell
Snow
Splashed white
Vanilla
White
White smoke
Old March 23 2013, 09:12 PM   #99
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^I will always consider myself mixed, but forevermore I will describe my skin tone as cosmic latte.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 09:17 PM   #100
CorporalClegg
Admiral

That was the intended implication when I wrote "application." I've been filling out a lot lately, so they're foremost on my mind. Sorry for the confusion.
Old March 24 2013, 12:20 AM   #101
propita
Rear Admiral

I have a cousin who was born in Swaziland (parents were peace corps types with PhDs). He's white, German/Eastern European, Jewish--and African, though that's not his ethnicity, just where he was born. Throws people off, though.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 12:52 AM   #102
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

propita wrote: View Post
I have a cousin who was born in Swaziland (parents were peace corps types with PhDs). He's white, German/Eastern European, Jewish--and African, though that's not his ethnicity, just where he was born. Throws people off, though.
Reminds me of an old Charlize Theron monologue on SNL.
Old March 24 2013, 02:42 AM   #103
Yuckleberry Finn
Vice Admiral

TSQ's comment made me think of something we discussed in graduate school yesterday. Almost all Deaf individuals who are black or Hispanic almost always have been labelled as mental retarded (I know ID is better but that's how it's documented- I don't like the former but..) at one point in their formative years.

It has do with cultural and socioeconomic differences that are not accounted for in evalutations

I wonder if we removed any documentations of ethnicities like job or school applications or especially Census forms, would it affect education. It may be harder to see issues. I don't know
Yuckleberry Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 02:52 AM   #104
Kira's Mummy
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mummy's Twitter Profile

Whitey McWhitebread here, though I do have a very, very, very tiny amount of Cherokee and possibly Melungeon in my ancestry. I'd have to have a DNA test to find out for sure. But it wouldn't surprise me.
Old March 24 2013, 04:01 AM   #105
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
But I don't see why. A person's ethnicity is absolutely no barometer of a person's aptitude for any job. It's like when they ask permission to check your credit rating. The reality, as you say, is that there are a million reasons a person might have a poor credit score, non of which have anything to do with an applicant's ability to work.

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
^Please don't take this as a personal attack, because you know I love ya, but the thing is, while it probably should be irrelevant, for anyone who's not white, it's not (I'm being Western-Centric right now, obviously). I hate to toss up words like privilege, but the experience of being White in America (and Canada and Western Europe, as far as I know) is markedly different from being Not White. Racial demographics are actually important in understanding things like social, educational, and financial inequity, violence, disease rates, morbidity, drug use, etc.

I admire the philosophy behind opting for "human" or "irrelevant" or whatever, but philosophy and reality aren't the same thing, and I think that entering incomplete data is just doing a disservice to those who don't have the luxury of considering their ethnicity irrelevant.
Glad someone wrote this

As a black American, I can tell you that all that "human" and "irrelevant" stuff is nonsense out in the real world. In fact the only folks that have the luxury of saying such things are white (or could pass as such). The rest of us know better.

I even consider the label "mixed" not particularly useful because in the real world it does not mean much. I mean honestly who isn't mixed?
I was with you till the end. Saying we're all mixed is as meaningless as saying we're all human. Sure, if you go back far enough, we're all mixed, and sure, ideally we should all recognize that, but being mixed race has its own meaning and issues in the real world -- I'm kind of baffled by anyone who can't see that!
While I will concede that on an individual level, people of mixed heritage may have some unique issues, the larger issue is usually that the mixed individual is seeking to identify with the half of their identity that they do not physically resemble.

My whole point about the mixed identity being meaningless is that it ignores the reality that on a very basic level our ethnic identity is determined by how society sees us and less by our genetic makeup. I think of this as the APB test. If one was to commit a crime, how would the witnesses describe you, what would the APB say.

One may want to be mixed race, but when the chips are down, you are what you look like. The police don't pull over or hunt down mixed race folk...when they come looking they are looking for a black person or asian or latino. When go for a job interview, what does the person see when you walk in the room?

It sort of like the people that get in all a tizzy because President Obama calls himself black instead of mixed. I guarantee that Obama, a man who lived through the 60s and 70s , knew what people saw when he walked in the room. He was a black man, and anything after that was purely academic.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote