Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 23 2013, 06:14 PM   #46
the G-man
Commodore

Re: Ever like a show but...

NCC-1701-B wrote: View Post
I can't stand Kira on DS9, she's just angry.
Good thing she wasn't the main character of the show, then.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 07:30 PM   #47
Avon
Fleet Captain

david tennant's doctor.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 08:03 PM   #48
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Smallville. I thought Clark Kent was an asshole for most of the series. Ironically, he was the most fun when he was under the influence of Red Kryptonite.... the stuff that's supposed to turn do-gooder Clark into, you guessed it, an asshole. At least then he was always honest.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 10:25 PM   #49
Starkers
Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I liked Enterprise but didn't care a lot for Archer.

I wouldn't outright say I didn't like Jerry Seinfeld but he was definitely my least favourite of the quartet in that show (and I preferred recurring characters like Newman to him too).

Kind of a cheat here but I don't like the Sixth or Seventh Doctors in Doctor Who!
Count me in for Archer too. It's a shame because I was a big QL fan and I always liked Bakula, and when I heard he was going to be Archer I was really thrilled...then I saw the show and realised that he was horribly miscast, he's just not Captain material. They should have cast Trineer as Archer IMO.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 12:27 AM   #50
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

CHiPs, couldn't stand Ponch.
Old March 24 2013, 01:18 AM   #51
NCC-1701-B
Fleet Captain

the G-man wrote: View Post
She was one of the main characters. No need to get arsey.

Hellooo...
NCC-1701-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 01:45 AM   #52
the G-man
Commodore

No, she wasn't. Yes, she was a prominent member of the supporting cast but she wasn't a main character. If you are going to interpret the thread that broadly then any regular cast member of any TV show is "the main character."

So, for example, under your theory Commissioner Gordon, Chief O'Hara, Aunt Harriet and Alfred the Butler were the main characters on a show called "Batman."

Furthermore, the question posed by the OP wasn't about "a" main character. It was about "the" main character. In the case of DS9 that was clearly Sisko
Old March 24 2013, 03:43 AM   #53
Gov Kodos
Admiral

No, she wasn't. Yes, she was a prominent member of the supporting cast but she wasn't a main character. If you are going to interpret the thread that broadly then any regular cast member of any TV show is "the main character."

So, for example, under your theory Commissioner Gordon, Chief O'Hara, Aunt Harriet and Alfred the Butler were the main characters on a show called "Batman."

Furthermore, the question posed by the OP wasn't about "a" main character. It was about "the" main character. In the case of DS9 that was clearly Sisko
NCC-1701-B's right. DS9 was an ensemble show in most ways. Your Batman example, like most any prime time show prior to the 90's, was not an ensemble show.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 03:47 AM   #54
the G-man
Commodore

Which, if true, would make her "a" main character, not "the" main character. As noted above, the question posed by the OP wasn't about "a" main character. It was about "the" main character. If the show was truly an ensemble there was no main character and the example is still inapplicable.
Old March 24 2013, 03:48 AM   #55
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Which, if true, would make her "a" main character, not "the" main character. As noted above, the question posed by the OP wasn't about "a" main character. It was about "the" main character. If the show was truly an ensemble there was no main character and the example is still inapplicable.
She's still right. Your grammar nazi bully attempt won't change that.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 04:16 AM   #56
the G-man
Commodore

Now, simmer down. Pointing out that I don't think the answer is responsive to the question posed, and explaining the basis for my opinion, is neither bullying nor Nazism. It's not like I went to her house, dragged her family out of the attic to a gas chamber and then gave her wedgie.
Old March 24 2013, 04:30 AM   #57
Avon
Fleet Captain

kira's one of the most important, interesting, central characters of ds9. i think its a fine example. and if not you should go complain about the person who said lily on How i met your mother too

it's a pointless, pedantic arguement

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 04:31 AM   #58
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I liked Enterprise but didn't care a lot for Archer.

I wouldn't outright say I didn't like Jerry Seinfeld but he was definitely my least favourite of the quartet in that show (and I preferred recurring characters like Newman to him too).

Kind of a cheat here but I don't like the Sixth or Seventh Doctors in Doctor Who!
Count me in for Archer too. It's a shame because I was a big QL fan and I always liked Bakula, and when I heard he was going to be Archer I was really thrilled...then I saw the show and realised that he was horribly miscast, he's just not Captain material. They should have cast Trineer as Archer IMO.
You are my new best friend.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I have always liked Bakula but thought Archer on ENT was kind of, well, an arrogant dick. Trinneer as Trip completely stole the show. He was the most likable and most interesting by far, even with the inconsistent writing. It was probably the way in which the Archer character was written; he was talked up too often, practically mythologized and then Bakula plays him as Joe Suburban. It made me feel a bit resentful of him. "Wait a minute! He's not so great. Stop talking about him. Put Trip on!"

It's a shame, really. I really liked Bakula on "Men of a Certain Age," where he was playing an immature, vain, selfish actor. You weren't supposed to like him, at least not a first, and he did a great job, making you eventually feel a bit sorry for this idiot.
auntiehill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 04:38 AM   #59
the G-man
Commodore

junxon wrote: View Post
kira's one of the most important, interesting, central characters of ds9. i think its a fine example. and if not you should go complain about the person who said lily on How i met your mother too ...
Someone else complained about the Lily example. I didn't see the point in piling on.

Leonard McCoy's one of the most important, interesting, central characters of TOS. But I'd never assume he was "the" main character of that show.
Old March 24 2013, 04:51 AM   #60
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Buffy is a good one. Never warmed up to her... actually I'd say I was neutral towards her and liked her less and less as the show went on.

Angel on the other hand I hated from the start, what with his stupid caveman face,but eventually he grew on me to the point I rather liked him. Still Team Spike tho.

I considered Jack on Lost to be the main character, at least at the start, and I didn't like him. He grew on me too.

Never liked Sinclair on Babylon 5, but Sheridan was tolerable.

Don't really like Raylon on Justified.

Leslie Knope on Parks and Recreation.

Pondwater wrote: View Post
I didn't like Bill from Big Love.
This!