Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate the comics
Excellent 5 14.71%
Above Average 13 38.24%
Average 10 29.41%
Below Average 2 5.88%
Poor 4 11.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 23 2013, 06:09 AM   #181
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Re: Countdown to Darkness - Review and Discussion

Cadet49 wrote: View Post
I can see them re-using the same registry number on a new version of a starship, for record purposes. Using an example from my profession, when an old school is torn down to build a new school on the property once occupied by the former building, it is not uncommon for the new version of the school to be given the same name and school ID number, even though it's technically a different school - it's address ID also doesn't change. It seems to make sense to keep the same designation on a starship.
Whereas for record purposes I'd think you'd need unique registries. It matters whether the maintenance log or upgrade history you're looking at belonged to the original Defiant or the nee-Sao Paulo.

"Chief, why didn't you replace the dilithium before it decrystalized?"

"The maintenance logs said we did just a month - oh. Wrong NX-74205."

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 07:34 AM   #182
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

ChristopherPike wrote: View Post
Is that your full defensive capability then, Therin?
What's up with the personal jibes?

I have no further interest in your complaints.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 01:27 PM   #183
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post

You seem to have misquoted ChristopherPike in an effort to do god only knows what? Reinforce some form of persecution complex? I didn't read it as a jibe towards you, but more a self deprecating joke towards himself. The second sentence and the smiling smiley would seem to point in this direction.

Is that your full defensive capability then, Therin? You're enjoying the Nu-Trek comics more than me.
As for the comic, I picked up issue one while in London a few weeks ago, was pretty good, I have the other issues on order from my local Comic shop, but due to one thing or another, they didn't get issue two in this week, but should have it this week. From the previews I've read though, it seems like a decent read and the possibility of two ships called Enterprise in Into Darkness seems like a fun thing to do, especially if it is meant to be the Enterprise from The Original Series.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 02:30 PM   #184
The Wormhole
Admiral

Cadet49 wrote: View Post
Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post

Problem with that idea is I doubt the registry number of April's Enterprise was 1701.
Go back to page 9 of this thread and have a look at the second image of April's Enterprise again (the one facing forward). On the inner port nacelle, you can clearly read "NCC-1701."
I can see them re-using the same registry number on a new version of a starship, for record purposes. Using an example from my profession, when an old school is torn down to build a new school on the property once occupied by the former building, it is not uncommon for the new version of the school to be given the same name and school ID number, even though it's technically a different school - it's address ID also doesn't change. It seems to make sense to keep the same designation on a starship.
There are real life precedents going both ways. A few years ago, a local grocery store was closed, torn down, and a new store owned by the same company was built on the same property with the same management and staff. The new store had a different store ID number than the old one.

On the flip-side, a local Wal-Mart shut down and management and staff relocated to a new location on the other end of town. That new store kept the same store ID number as the old one.

In the end, I go with canonical precedent. Starfleet never reuses the same registry number between ships. The Enterprises always have a different letter added to the end. The only true reuse is the Defiant, and even then the producers wanted it to have a different registry but extensive use of stock footge prevented that. Therefore, I doubt April's Enterprise was 1701.
Old February 23 2013, 02:42 PM   #185
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

It certainly wasn't intended personally. I don't see how anyone could take that comment personally... unless they felt personally responsible for the content of this comic.

That's a shame, especially since you misunderstood me, and disregarded my attempt to elaborate and difference of opinion, as being argumentative... but yeah, so be it.

Last edited by ChristopherPike; February 23 2013 at 02:57 PM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 02:45 PM   #186
The Wormhole
Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Wow, I didn't realize the Ongoing series had been that full of errors.
And I just remembered we forgot to mention the issue which features characters slapping their chest insignia to communicate with the ship.
Old February 23 2013, 07:19 PM   #187
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Why does everyone assume that the writers/producers would give that much thought to the Enterprise's registry number? In their eyes, it would be a very minor canon violation, just like the ones in the previous movie.
Old February 24 2013, 02:32 AM   #188
Therin of Andor
Admiral

I don't see how anyone could take that comment personally...
I dunno? You addressed it to me by name, and it seemed like you were "having a go at me", as we say in Australia. Urging me to say more so you could pull apart my point? I don't even remember what the point was now and I feel no yearning to go back and reread it all. Bulletin boards can be funny things. Especially at 2am local time.

Had we been in a pub, I'd have probably just moved to another table. It seemed a really confrontational thing for you to say. (I went back at the time, reread the posts, and was at a loss to add anything.)

Dimesdan has now also chimed in, but the mods told us not to get personal a few days ago, and he has refused to PM what his original problem was, so yeah, it did feel a bit like persecution, especially now after he leaped to your defence. Must be my Persecution Complex (tm).

Maybe I was just in a sensitive mood at the time, ChristopherPike. I dunno. I really dunno.
Old February 24 2013, 02:57 AM   #189
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Maybe I was just in a sensitive mood at the time, ChristopherPike. I dunno. I really dunno.
I'll take that as some offence caused by myself then. I must have broken some netiquette rule and so offer an apology then. Although I am bit miffed since neither are anything more than usernames are they? My first name is actually Chris... but I don't react badly whenever that's used or Christopher (which I've never been too fond of in full).

Anyway, I've already forgotten what my issue was about the comic. I'm not sure it even mattered...
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 04:05 AM   #190
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Although I am bit miffed since neither are anything more than usernames are they?
I was told once that, when a poster wants to be deliberately patronizing (without seeming to be flaming and thus at risk of being sanctioned by a mod), they'll use your username - or your real name - in the comment. That strategy can also have a similar effect in a classroom, at a party, or at work. ("You've been here long enough, Ian, to know that we have a protocol for doing that...") Use a person's name in a comment and you can make that seemingly innocent/helpful comment sound really insulting.

So your innocent comment felt like a taunt to me. Thanks for the apology; I manage to upset people online often, I'm told - and it's almost always a shock to realise that my comments have been taken the wrong way.
Old February 24 2013, 07:11 AM   #191
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Well guys - and I don't even know how many are involved, here, I don't know what's going on. And I'll be honest, I don't really want to take the time to try to find out what the problem is because it really doesn't belong here anyhow and life's too short. I have enough troubles of my own right now to have to referee some online dispute.

I will say again, as I've said before. NO more personal stuff. Due to my lousy memory, I'm making a note to myself with the 3 names so that if this kind of thing comes up again, I'll just start warning. So this is the last warning.

The forum is to discuss literature - not to snipe at one another. If some have a problem with a poster, please use the ignore function.

Whatever this is, it stops here. See that it does. Because if I do the warning, there is no appeal, and if I think people won't stop, well that is not a good thing, trust me.

There's plenty of good Trek lit to discuss. Please do so, without the personal stuff.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 10:28 AM   #192
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Maybe I was just in a sensitive mood
Maybe you were, maybe you weren't.

As for that PM? you never got it then? I sent it several weeks ago after Bonz gave her first little friendly and I decided to lay everything out for you. As you've not replied, I assumed you didn't like what you read and decided not to reply which is no skin off my nose Ian.

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
Well guys - and I don't even know how many are involved, here, I don't know what's going on. And I'll be honest, I don't really want to take the time to try to find out what the problem is because it really doesn't belong here anyhow and life's too short. I have enough troubles of my own right now to have to referee some online dispute.

I will say again, as I've said before. NO more personal stuff. Due to my lousy memory, I'm making a note to myself with the 3 names so that if this kind of thing comes up again, I'll just start warning. So this is the last warning.

The forum is to discuss literature - not to snipe at one another. If some have a problem with a poster, please use the ignore function.

Whatever this is, it stops here. See that it does. Because if I do the warning, there is no appeal, and if I think people won't stop, well that is not a good thing, trust me.

There's plenty of good Trek lit to discuss. Please do so, without the personal stuff.
Noted and very much understood.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 03:02 PM   #193
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
As for that PM? you never got it then?
Nope. Care to resend please?

340 messages in my box, and only three recent ones. None from you.
Old March 24 2013, 03:14 AM   #194
Sto-Vo-Kory
Commander

Has anyone read issue #3 yet?
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 01:35 PM   #195
indianatrekker26
Captain

Sto-Vo-Kory wrote: View Post
Has anyone read issue #3 yet?
Yeah, i gave it a read last night. I'm just not really caring for this story. It started rather promising in issue 1, but it just keeps going downhill. I can kinda guess at some plot points we'll probably see in Into Darkness, mostly with Spock. But other than that, this mini-series has been a chore to get through.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote