RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,914
Posts: 5,388,414
Members: 24,718
Currently online: 483
Newest member: Tribblemaker

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 4 2013, 04:15 PM   #181
geekwarrior0622
Cadet
 
Location: That Borg cube that's coming toward you :O
Re: DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

Eh...am still in S1, E8...kinda new hur lol
__________________
Your attempts to assimilate this drone will end in FAILURE!!!
geekwarrior0622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 06:12 PM   #182
Dal Rassak
Lieutenant Commander
 
Dal Rassak's Avatar
 
Location: Terok Nor
Re: DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

Fellow DS9 fans, count me among you!

Hah, and by the way, no-one without express authorization sets foot in areas restricted to Cardassian personnel!, or not unless I've checked them over first...
should have warnedyou I work in security! (grin)
Dal Rassak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 09:00 AM   #183
oswater
Ensign
 
Location: DFW
Re: DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

I love DS9 and have nobody to talk to about it....until now!
Probably my favorite cast for any Star Trek franchise, Sisko is a great captain and the Cardassian station is a wonderful change of pace.
If Next Gen was heads, this was tails it is such a wonderful compliment to the franchise. I can't say enough good things about it.
oswater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 10:56 AM   #184
DavidLeeRoth
Lieutenant
 
Re: DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

.
DavidLeeRoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 11:20 PM   #185
heavy lids
Lieutenant Commander
 
heavy lids's Avatar
 
Location: Denver
Re: DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

Fact: DS9 is the best of all Trek shows.
__________________
"Divine intervention is...unlikely" - The Doctor
heavy lids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 08:08 AM   #186
Gul Re'jal
Commodore
 
Gul Re'jal's Avatar
 
Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station
Re: DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

Dal Rassak wrote: View Post
Hah, and by the way, no-one without express authorization sets foot in areas restricted to Cardassian personnel!, or not unless I've checked them over first...
should have warnedyou I work in security! (grin)
Very good, Dal, carry on...
__________________
In a Cardassian library or in a Cardassian gallery?

"Reagan, it appears, is really only an ardent unionist if the unions in question are in Poland" - Stephen King, Skeleton Crew
Gul Re'jal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 10:19 AM   #187
Gone4aDuck
Cadet
 
Location: United Kingdom
Re: DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

Just had my account activated, so a big hello to you all.
I was always made out to be weird to think ds9 was the best trek series. Glad to find a thread devoted to other "weird" people I can talk with.
Gone4aDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 01:44 AM   #188
Iliana Malek
Lieutenant
 
Iliana Malek's Avatar
 
Location: Republic of Texas
Re: DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

Greetings, everyone. Though I'm not a particularly new member, having joined up several years ago, I was never really active. But, I'm going to change that, and jump back on board! So, hello again to everyone, especially my fellow Cardassians.
__________________
~I started it tomorrow, I will finish yesterday~
Iliana Malek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 04:22 PM   #189
Gul Re'jal
Commodore
 
Gul Re'jal's Avatar
 
Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station
Re: DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

Hi, Iliana
__________________
In a Cardassian library or in a Cardassian gallery?

"Reagan, it appears, is really only an ardent unionist if the unions in question are in Poland" - Stephen King, Skeleton Crew
Gul Re'jal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 09:46 AM   #190
donners22
Commodore
 
donners22's Avatar
 
Location: Victoria, Australia
Re: DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

DS9 is my favourite series, but I never actually saw the second season. I'm re-watching the series now with my girlfriend (who is watching for the first time), and have been pleasantly surprised. I had the impression that it wasn't too good, but the only bad episode out of the first eight was Melora. I hope it continues at this level.
__________________
Kim: I'm detecting some weird technobabble.
Janeway: A possibly dangerous anomaly that we know nothing about?
Kim: Yeah. I suppose we should steer clear.
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
donners22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 05:01 PM   #191
EnsignRedshirt
Lieutenant
 
EnsignRedshirt's Avatar
 
Location: Ohio
Re: DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

Grew up on Next Gen and TOS and watched DS9 occasionally when it started airing, but as a young lad a lot of the themes were a bit beyond me and I never developed a huge sense of continuity with the show (despite enjoying it quite a bit). Fast forward several years and, having been watching through the entire series on Netflix I've grown to absolutely ADORE the show.
EnsignRedshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 09:53 PM   #192
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

donners22 wrote: View Post
DS9 is my favourite series, but I never actually saw the second season. I'm re-watching the series now with my girlfriend (who is watching for the first time), and have been pleasantly surprised. I had the impression that it wasn't too good, but the only bad episode out of the first eight was Melora. I hope it continues at this level.
Second season is terrific. Blood Oath, Crossover, The Wire, Maquis 2-parter and the finale are excellent.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 02:09 AM   #193
Captain Kathryn
Commodore
 
Captain Kathryn's Avatar
 
Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn
Re: DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

Hello all~!

I've been on this forum for a few weeks already, but only recently started watching DS9 today. I am mainly a Voyager fan, but since I have Netflix and I love trek, I figure I'll watch all of the series and movies I have not seen yet. I've seen nearly all episodes of TNG and all of Voyager (watched all 7 seasons and I rewatch my favorite episodes when I feel like it.). I know I am watching the series out of sequence (watched TNG and skipped to Voyager haha), but I know enough about Trek that I think it's ok.

So far I am only on Season 1. Just finished watching the first episode. It's good so far! I am enjoying it.

The only thing I am worried about is that I am so used to Voyager which has a lot of humor, moreso than other series. Just wondering if I can expect at least some humor?

Also what do you think is the best season?
I only watch TV in-order, so I will go from seasons 1-7 straight through and I won't be skipping any. I am just wondering what your faves are.

Thanks~~!
__________________
Assimilate more Janeway...among other stuff! Captain Kathryn's Tumblr
Captain Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 05:51 AM   #194
donners22
Commodore
 
donners22's Avatar
 
Location: Victoria, Australia
Re: DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
Hello all~!

I've been on this forum for a few weeks already, but only recently started watching DS9 today. I am mainly a Voyager fan, but since I have Netflix and I love trek, I figure I'll watch all of the series and movies I have not seen yet. I've seen nearly all episodes of TNG and all of Voyager (watched all 7 seasons and I rewatch my favorite episodes when I feel like it.). I know I am watching the series out of sequence (watched TNG and skipped to Voyager haha), but I know enough about Trek that I think it's ok.

So far I am only on Season 1. Just finished watching the first episode. It's good so far! I am enjoying it.

The only thing I am worried about is that I am so used to Voyager which has a lot of humor, moreso than other series. Just wondering if I can expect at least some humor?

Also what do you think is the best season?
I only watch TV in-order, so I will go from seasons 1-7 straight through and I won't be skipping any. I am just wondering what your faves are.

Thanks~~!
Glad to hear you are getting into it.

I really like Voyager as well, though DS9 is my favourite. Voyager's humour was fantastic, and some of the best episodes were very funny.

Some of DS9's humour tends to be on the wacky side (often focused on the Ferengi) and the lighter episodes don't work quite so well as Voyager (In the Cards and The Magnificent Ferengi are great, but others are more miss than hit), but I think the best moments come in the interactions between characters - Quark and Odo, Bashir and O'Brien and Dax and...pretty much anyone.


I think the sixth season is my favourite. It opens with an epic arc, with four of the first six episodes among the series' best. There's war, romance, comedy, drama and each is executed brilliantly.

The Magnificient Ferengi, Statistical Probabilities, Call to Arms, Rocks and Shoals, A Time to Stand, Favour the Bold, Sacrifice of Angels, Honour Among Thieves, Far Beyond the Stars, In the Pale Moonlight - geez, that's an incredible season.
__________________
Kim: I'm detecting some weird technobabble.
Janeway: A possibly dangerous anomaly that we know nothing about?
Kim: Yeah. I suppose we should steer clear.
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
donners22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 06:28 PM   #195
Captain Kathryn
Commodore
 
Captain Kathryn's Avatar
 
Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn
Re: DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

donners22 wrote: View Post
Glad to hear you are getting into it.

I really like Voyager as well, though DS9 is my favourite. Voyager's humour was fantastic, and some of the best episodes were very funny.

Some of DS9's humour tends to be on the wacky side (often focused on the Ferengi) and the lighter episodes don't work quite so well as Voyager (In the Cards and The Magnificent Ferengi are great, but others are more miss than hit), but I think the best moments come in the interactions between characters - Quark and Odo, Bashir and O'Brien and Dax and...pretty much anyone.


I think the sixth season is my favourite. It opens with an epic arc, with four of the first six episodes among the series' best. There's war, romance, comedy, drama and each is executed brilliantly.

The Magnificient Ferengi, Statistical Probabilities, Call to Arms, Rocks and Shoals, A Time to Stand, Favour the Bold, Sacrifice of Angels, Honour Among Thieves, Far Beyond the Stars, In the Pale Moonlight - geez, that's an incredible season.
I'm on the third episode now.

So far I like Quark and his kid. It will be cute if Sisko's kid and Quark's kid become friends. Even though just about every Star Trek series had at least one kid aboard, it still troubles me...it's really not a safe place for kids to grow up. At least on Voyager, they had no choice. They were in the Delta Quadrant. No way home, so I understand. Then again, Sisko, Quark and O'Brien did not have the luxury to just "leave their kids home". So, I understand. It's just not the best place for kids to grow up considering there is always the possibility of an attack. Then again, I suppose a Space Station is (in theory anyway) safer than a Starship and they did mention in episode 2 that they had about 12 kids aboard.

As for the other characters, I like the fact that Bashir keeps relentlessly trying to get Dax to like him. It makes for some humor. Bashir seems like he is adorably awkward haha. The fact that Dax is Trill and had a male host before kind of takes the sexiness out, but it doesn't seem to matter for Bashir? lol

Sisko seems respectable. A good commander and a caring father.

Major Kira is ass-kicking awesome!!!!!!!!!! I love her so far.

When I was younger about 8 years ago (a freshman in college), I dated a guy for a few months who was a hardcore Trek fan and at the time I had never really watched it. We did watch a few eps of Voyager together, but I wasn't into it at the time. But all he talked about was how he loved Kira haha. I remember actually being really jealous...and even getting mad when he talked about her haha. Seems so dumb now.

Anyway, I like it so far. It's a little harder for me to follow as opposed to Voyager when I started watching it. Not sure why. But yeah I am enjoying it.

Can I ask why Quark is allowed to run that casino/restaurant whatever it is? It's awesome that he can and seems like it will make for good Ferengi humor later on, but it strikes me odd that it's all cool with the Federation that he does hahaha. I am not sure if I sound stupid by asking, but I am pretty sure Picard or Janeway wouldn't have put up with it. Then again, they were on Starships. Space Station seems more relaxed.

As for Odo, he kind of creeps me out. But after the second episode ended, I realized he really is genuine. Just something about him seems off to me. But I am probably just being all n00b and don't know the character well yet.
__________________
Assimilate more Janeway...among other stuff! Captain Kathryn's Tumblr

Last edited by Captain Kathryn; March 24 2013 at 06:48 PM.
Captain Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.