Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 21 2013, 06:57 PM   #16
Chrisisall
Commodore

Re: If You Grew Up on STAR TREK...

I was with Star Trek TOS from age 7, it expanded not my vocabulary, but my view of the world and mankind's place in it. It also introduced me to logical thinking. When I was having trouble with the bullies in 6th grade, I surmised the only logical solution was to train in martial arts. Then I became the dork who'd hit you back. I found this to be a satisfactory solution to my confrontation-filled social dilemma.
Chrisisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 08:47 PM   #17
erastus25
Fleet Captain

Star Trek definitely shaped my education quite a bit. A few examples:

After reading The Physics of Star Trek I moved on to A Brief History of Time and became the only 13 year old at my school to have a conceptual understanding of what a "black hole" really was. From there I became interested in Brian Greene and I continue to read "pop astrophysics" to this day.

I also learned quickly that Star Trek character names and episode titles were often based on literary and/or historical figures. That lead to some really interesting times with the old Encarta and there have been many times that I've been able to follow conversations about Shakespeare, Greek myths, etc. solely b/c of my knowledge of some TOS episode.

In college I found myself drawn to humanist philosophy and also had an immediate appreciation for anthropology and it's ideas of cultural relativism. Probably not a coincidence...

Last month I started a talk at a professional conference by deadpanning a quote from "Leonard H. McCoy, MD - 1967." Most of the audience paid little attention, but a few smirked knowingly. Somewhat surprisingly nobody said anything.
Old March 21 2013, 09:36 PM   #18
scotpens
Vice Admiral

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
If you started watching STAR TREK as a child, did it expand your vocabulary and often make you sound like the smartest kid in class?
Actually, it made me sound like a geek.

Forbin wrote: View Post
. . . I guess it was more than just from Trek, but TV and the movies had led me to believe that the way Kirk, Bond, James West et al got a different woman every week was the way real life was supposed to work. As I progressed thru high school, I was disabused of this misconception. BIG time.
I suppose at some point you entertained the possibility that a room full of science fiction books and spaceship models wasn't exactly a chick magnet.
Old March 21 2013, 09:45 PM   #19
Pondwater
Commodore

I watched a lot of TNG as a kid but I was actually behind the curve, so I guess not. However, I was a good speller, reader and creative writer at that time, so maybe. Although, I do credit Trek for interest in the Sciences.
Pondwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 10:07 PM   #20
Paper Moon
Commander

TNG and DS9 definitely helped, I think. My parents and grandparents are all pretty educated, so I'm sure a lot came from them, and I did read and watch PBS a lot as a kid.

But my speaking style was definitely influenced by Trek, especially Data and Picard. That had its benefits and drawbacks during childhood, but overall, I think it was a good thing.
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 11:32 PM   #21
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Once in a high school social studies class, the teacher was talking about the Black Death in Europe, and I casually mentioned that the plague reached Constantinople in 1334. That was a great moment because people assumed I knew all about it.
Can't help but wonder if your teacher quietly informed you that it was actually the year 1347 that Constantinople was contaminated.

I remember after learning the beginning of phonics that I had the hardest time sounding out and spelling the word "sabataage."

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 12:50 AM   #22
Chrisisall
Commodore

[QUOTE=T'Girl;7831807]

I remember after learning the beginning of phonics that I had the hardest time sounding out and spelling the word "sabataage."

"Four-hundred years ago, on the planet Earth, workers who felt their livelihood threatened by automation, flung their wooden shoes, called sabo, into the machines to stop them . . . hence the word: sabotage."
Chrisisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 12:56 AM   #23
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Can't help but wonder if your teacher quietly informed you that it was actually the year 1347 that Constantinople was contaminated.
He didn't know that. And if Mister Flint mis-remembered the exact year, cut him some slack. As the only living witness, he's still an international treasure.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 07:20 PM   #24
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Forbin wrote: View Post
I think it just made everybody think I was a dork.

Another sad result - I guess it was more than just from Trek, but TV and the movies had lead me to believe that the way Kirk, Bond, James West et al got a different woman every week was the way real life was supposed to work. As I progressed thru high school, I was disabused of this misconception. BIG time.
Don't feel alone there my friend. I can relate.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 07:29 PM   #25
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I think reading books beyond the normal level of my peers and owning a dictionary expanded my vocabulary. Being quiet, bookish and wearing glasses made people think I was smarter than I actually was.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 08:39 PM   #26
Dantheman
Lieutenant Commander

Being into Star Trek helped, in high school during my sophomore year, a teacher who was a former Marine would start class with words on the board, to increase our vocabulary. One day, one of the words of "Emissary", and I mentioned I knew it from watching Deep Space Nine.

I was also the kind of kid who loved reading comic books and watching cartoons, so I first learned about DNA from the G.I. Joe cartoon storyline where Cobra created Serpentor, and the term "symbiote" from Spider-Man comics with Venom.
Dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 08:49 PM   #27
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I'm pretty sure I learned the word "aura" from Silver Age FLASH comics.

As in the Flash's "protective aura."

And I know I learned about "astral projection" from DOCTOR STRANGE.