New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old March 12 2013, 04:04 PM   #16
Mirror Sulu
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Animated nuTrek concept art

Don't like the animation for Green Lantern: The Animated Series, so I wouldn't like it for a new Trek series either. Something closer to the earlier Star Wars: Clone Wars show would be preferred.
Mirror Sulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 05:10 PM   #17
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Mirror Sulu wrote: View Post
Don't like the animation for Green Lantern: The Animated Series, so I wouldn't like it for a new Trek series either. Something closer to the earlier Star Wars: Clone Wars show would be preferred.
Then you better hope whoever does it has a metric s@#t ton of money.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 07:45 PM   #18
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

That concept art is amazing! I'd give this a chance.
Peach Wookiee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 10:08 PM   #19
General_Phoenix
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to General_Phoenix Send a message via AIM to General_Phoenix Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to General_Phoenix Send a message via Yahoo to General_Phoenix

Those orbital cities (?) remind me of something off of a Boston album cover.
Old March 23 2013, 05:10 PM   #20
baxart
Commander

I'll second the YES PLEASE! Animation is the way to go for a new series IMO.
baxart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 05:41 PM   #21
Relayer1
Commodore

It looks wonderful - if they get the characters right it could be fantastic.

One thing I would be concerned about is animations scope to do things they couldn't in a live action show. As tempting as it is, it could take the show way too far away from what Trek is about - I don't want the cast forever running away from giant monsters and ludicrous aliens, it should be a little more adult (not meaning 'edgy') than that.

As soon as there's a smart kid, cute animal or funny robot, I'm out...
Old April 12 2013, 02:52 PM   #22
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I hate to be critical, but what we see here is the easy part. The hard part is getting the characters right. And we don't see any of that, here.

Those vague tiny featureless renders of Kirk, Spock, and some red shirt dwarfed by the Big Alien Things don't count.

Furthermore, the unrealistic proportions of the characters that we can discern don't impress me at all; quite the opposite, actually. I can only hope that the character drawings here are thumbnail placeholders in lieu of actual character drawings to be inserted once it's figured out exactly how to draw them (e.g., regard a faceless Spock).

Unfortunately, in Green Lantern, the character style is to render people with exaggerated proportions, and these sketches seem to suggest that the treatment might go in that direction, too. That sort of character style works in GL, but I have grave doubts about it working in Star Trek.

Consequently, I'm unimpressed, and actually concerned.
Agreed. I too also love Green Lantern, but I don't necessarily want to see its style on a new Star Trek cartoon (nor do I want to see the style of Star Wars: The Clone Wars or Dragons: Riders of Berk just slavishly copied for any new animated series based on Star Trek, either.)

As I've said (and shown) before, this style is the kind of style that should be done for a new series:

Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 05:12 PM   #23
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I'd rather see something more stylized and cartoony than that.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 10:01 PM   #24
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

^Why?
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 10:13 PM   #25
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Attempts at realistic characters in animation only highlights their unreality and strains suspension of disbelief. Stylized characters are easier to accept on their own terms without the constant reminders that you're not watching real people. If that makes sense.
Old April 12 2013, 10:35 PM   #26
Danger Ace
Commander

King Daniel wrote: View Post
By Peter Markowski, who's worked for Warner Bros on their Green Lantern animated series. I've just gone from "meh" on a potential new animated series to "YES PLEASE!"

Fingers crossed Into Darkness is a big hit and we get something like this soon after.
We reach as I share your enthusiasm. It does look good. Better than "Clone Wars."
Old April 12 2013, 11:19 PM   #27
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
^Why?
because that approach ignores every artistic, expressive advantage of character animation while not being persuasively realistic in any way. It's an admirable effort for a production with limited resources using OTS software, but there's nothing dynamic or visually imaginative enough there to hold the attention of a large audience expecting a professional production.

More simply, one frame of The Incredibles is more beautiful and exciting than the entirety of The Polar Express.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 01:23 AM   #28
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Attempts at realistic characters in animation only highlights their unreality and strains suspension of disbelief. Stylized characters are easier to accept on their own terms without the constant reminders that you're not watching real people. If that makes sense.
That makes perfect sense to me, and I totally agree.
Old April 13 2013, 04:39 PM   #29
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
^Why?
because that approach ignores every artistic, expressive advantage of character animation while not being persuasively realistic in any way. It's an admirable effort for a production with limited resources using OTS software, but there's nothing dynamic or visually imaginative enough there to hold the attention of a large audience expecting a professional production.

More simply, one frame of The Incredibles is more beautiful and exciting than the entirety of The Polar Express.
True story. I too would rather see something stylistic that has energy and isn't dedicated to being "photorealistic." While I loved comic artist Gorden Purchell and Jerome K. Moore tenure on DC's STAR TREK comics , but really loved the more stylistic impression of the universe from Tom Sutton and Pablo Marcos. And I really loved Paul Pope's STAR TREK short comic in WIRED.

Last edited by Ryan Thomas Riddle; April 13 2013 at 06:55 PM.
Ryan Thomas Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 06:17 PM   #30
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I hate to be critical, but what we see here is the easy part. The hard part is getting the characters right. And we don't see any of that, here.

Those vague tiny featureless renders of Kirk, Spock, and some red shirt dwarfed by the Big Alien Things don't count.

Furthermore, the unrealistic proportions of the characters that we can discern don't impress me at all; quite the opposite, actually. I can only hope that the character drawings here are thumbnail placeholders in lieu of actual character drawings to be inserted once it's figured out exactly how to draw them (e.g., regard a faceless Spock).

Unfortunately, in Green Lantern, the character style is to render people with exaggerated proportions, and these sketches seem to suggest that the treatment might go in that direction, too. That sort of character style works in GL, but I have grave doubts about it working in Star Trek.

Consequently, I'm unimpressed, and actually concerned.
Agreed. I too also love Green Lantern, but I don't necessarily want to see its style on a new Star Trek cartoon (nor do I want to see the style of Star Wars: The Clone Wars or Dragons: Riders of Berk just slavishly copied for any new animated series based on Star Trek, either.)

As I've said (and shown) before, this style is the kind of style that should be done for a new series:

Frankly, SZ, I don't get your fascination with Aurora. It isn't just the soulless characters and animation. The whole concept is boring. It's just April O'Neill and a T'Pol clone delivering stuff...and that "teaser" just flat out promises a stupid episode 2.

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote