Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 23 2013, 03:14 PM   #301
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: New trekID international trailer wed

DalekJim wrote: View Post

It's an excellent season to be sure. It always saddens me to see everybody in this section say that Abrams made Trek interesting for the first time since TNG was on air.
To be fair, you may have felt differently if you had sat through eighteen years (25 seasons) of Modern Trek and four lackluster TNG films from 1987-2005. There was a definite sense of burnout among the fanbase as Voyager was ending and Enterprise was starting up. It also didn't help matters that the first two seasons didn't live up to the potential shown in "Broken Bow".

The cancellation was probably the best thing to happen to Trek. It allowed the powers that be to fall back and regroup. Not only did we get Star Trek 2009 but we also got remastered versions of TOS and TNG.
Old March 23 2013, 03:26 PM   #302
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I dunno. I'd take ENT S5-S7 over 3 JJ Abrams guns and tits action movies. The final years of ENT were when the show decided to be more ambitious and take risks, with S3 being one of the most ambitious Trek seasons ever.

Now we're down to this as our only Trek in a visual medium. It looks to most likely be a kinda fun action movie but I like something I can analyse a bit more. Hopefully Cumberbatch's motivations are more ambiguous and multi-faceted so I'll have at least some food for thought.

I'm going in expecting a solid dumb popcorn movie and will hold First Contact as the benchmark it should meet. A dumb movie to be sure, but a very exciting and entertaining one. An example of good dumb Trek.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 03:36 PM   #303
BillJ
Admiral

I dunno. I'd take ENT S5-S7 over 3 JJ Abrams guns and tits action movies. The final years of ENT were when the show decided to be more ambitious and take risks, with S3 being one of the most ambitious Trek seasons ever.
So much of the viewership had bled off that there was no way an Enterprise seasons 5, 6 and 7 were going to happen. Enterprise went from 13 million viewers for "Broken Bow" to averaging under two million viewers a week for season four. No matter how good the show was there was a definite "been there, done that" vibe among the fanbase and they simply weren't interested in coming back as the numbers clearly show.

Paramount simply had no choice but to pull the plug and it would've been pulled after season three if the need to get as close to 100 episodes as possible didn't exist.
Old March 23 2013, 03:42 PM   #304
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I am selfish with the entertainment I like. I am entirely aware that the vast majority of the public, including pretty much all my friends and family, would prefer Star Trek 09 or STID to any ENT episode I showed them. I understand completely from a business point of view why Paramount would be idiots to pull the plug on JJ-Trek and make the kinda Star Trek movie I'd like to see.

It doesn't stop me wishing though. I have so many hopes and dreams of what the franchise can achieve and it shows zero hope of ever being realised. Maybe one day I'll achieve my life's dream of getting to write a Star Trek novel, and base it on my wishlist for the best possible self-contained Star Trek epic. The novels seem to be the only hope for interesting Star Trek, with the film franchise in a rut and the TV show dead.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 03:55 PM   #305
BillJ
Admiral

I am entirely aware that the vast majority of the public, including pretty much all my friends and family, would prefer Star Trek 09 or STID to any ENT episode I showed them.
I'm not sure why it's an 'either-or' proposition? Ninety-eight episodes of Enterprise exist, they haven't went anywhere. When The Next Generation came on the scene, the Trek I knew and loved was still there but it simply was of another time. Just like the style of Modern Trek is of another time. But it'll be there for future generations to explore. Folks who have seen and like Star Trek 2009/Into Darkness will feel compelled to explore the franchise further, just like those who came on during the franchises long history have felt compelled to explore more.

I love 2010: The Year We Make Contact, but I'm not sure we'll ever see another big budget movie like it. Technique, technology and audience expectations have all changed radically in the thirty years since its been made. The fact that I love the movie can't keep me from moving on however and experiencing new science-fiction films. No matter how much we would love for time to stand still and for everyone to love what we love, that's not reality.

As an aside, Christoper Bennett is writing The Rise of the Federation which features characters from Enterprise and it is set to be released sometime this summer.
Old March 23 2013, 05:02 PM   #306
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I dunno. I'd take ENT S5-S7 over 3 JJ Abrams guns and tits action movies.
You're really reaching in describing ST09 or Into Darkness as "guns and tits action movies". I might give you the "guns" bit, but "tits"? You have one scene with a couple of women ( and one man) in their underwear. Hardly a "tits" film. You haven't even seen Into Darkness yet and I doubt beyond the Alice Eve underwear bit, there aren't any more "tits" scene. There was more titillation in Forbidden Planet, where almost every scene with Ann Francis was intended to get a rise out the characters on screen and the audience off screen. And as we know, FP was the blue print for Star Trek. The other Abrams films I've seen aren't going to be mistaken for a Russ Meyer film either.

You might want to cut back on the hyperbole, resist your first impulsive reaction and apply some thought before hitting "reply".
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 05:13 PM   #307
Borgminister

I want girls kissing like in DS9!
Borgminister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 06:47 PM   #308
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
Don't tell anyone that alice eve's screaming was bad. You feelings might get hurt.

I was one of the first people that noticed it in the first trailer and I got attacked on this site unfairly by many of the trek fans who (in my opinion) couldn't handle the truth.
You weren't attacked; your opinion was. There's a difference.

You started a whole thread claiming that Alice Eve was an "atrocious" actress, based upon a half-second glimpse of her screaming in the first teaser trailer (and on the equally-unsupported claim that one person in a TrekMovie comment thread agreed with you.) You received a spamming warning at that time because you'd been asked on a number of occasions previously to refrain from posting such frivolous and insubstantial threads every time a half-formed idea entered your head. If you had wished to appeal the warning, you ought to have done so at that time.

Oh, and...
M'Sharak wrote: View Post
serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
Warning for spamming. Comments to PM.
...you know as well that such an appeal ought to have been made via PM. Airing it as a grievance now—this far after the fact, and injected into a completely unrelated discussion—is known as grandstanding; I believe you've been cautioned more than once before against doing that, too. That "lapse" earns you a warning; comments to PM. Really.
Old March 23 2013, 07:17 PM   #309
RAMA
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
Well, I think DS9 towers over the other shows pretty neatly but I also count Season 3 of Enterprise (It's better than any TNG season!) as one of my favourites so I'm used to being in the minority.
For good measure, my favorite ST show seasons in order:

1. STNG-Season 4
2. TOS-Season 1
3. STNG-Season 3
4. DS9-Season 6
5. ENT-Season 4

RAMA
Why not? Here's my list:

1. Star Trek season 1
2. Star Trek season 2
3. The Next Generation season 1
4. The Next Generation season 2
5. Enterprise season 4
The fact that even ONE of your picks matches mine is scary.

RAMA
Old March 23 2013, 07:20 PM   #310
RAMA
Vice Admiral

My guess is the new ST TV series will be based on JJverse and may very likely be patterned after Lost in many ways.

RAMA
Old March 23 2013, 07:25 PM   #311
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

My guess is the new ST TV series will be based on JJverse and may very likely be patterned after Lost in many ways.

RAMA

Wrong thread?
Old March 23 2013, 08:17 PM   #312
BillJ
Admiral

The fact that even ONE of your picks matches mine is scary.

RAMA
Me and DalekJim both rank The Motion Picture as our favorite Trek film. So weirder things have happened.
Old March 23 2013, 09:34 PM   #313
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Me and DalekJim both rank The Motion Picture as our favorite Trek film. So weirder things have happened.
Something else BillJ and I have in common. Double shit!
Old March 23 2013, 09:38 PM   #314
lurok
Commodore

One of my favourites as well. Agree with DalekJim on a bunch of other things too. Except JJ Trek it seems
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 09:45 PM   #315
Flake
Commodore

I don't think there will be a new TV series until a new Trek movie bombs. They are going to get around to doing a TNG reboot at Paramount eventually - if they screw it up maybe it'll turn into a TV show (cos they will have just built all the sets!)

Best movie still Wrath of Khan for me

Yeah the one with:

Parasites going in and out of ears whilst poor guys suffer in excruciating pain and we get a closeup! Starships shooting the shit out of each other. Engineering crews running for their lives whilst some are burnt or dying, one of which we see in gruesome detail (Peter Preston!). Bodies hanging on ropes above pools of their own blood because they where tortured to death and had their throats cut. Kirk trying to prevent himself being stabbed by his own son, people being vapourised by phaser blasts and committing suicide because they are going insane. Khan horribly burnt and disfigured whilst he struggles to blow himself up and Spock dying slowly infront of our eyes from radiation poisoning.... yeah that one! Doesn't sound very Star Trek does it and yet its the best of Star Trek
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote