Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 23 2013, 02:06 PM   #286
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: New trekID international trailer wed

DalekJim wrote: View Post
King Daniel wrote: View Post
I seem to recall DS9 featuing a two-part story about an attempted coup on Earth. And all the action you'd expect from a mid-90's TV show.
It was an ideas and character driven story, not an action story. Even the war in DS9 was almost always used to drive forward the ideas and characters rather than give an excuse for more action.
Once again, 178 episodes vs. a two-hour film.
Old March 23 2013, 02:07 PM   #287
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
It's funny because many fans consider Homefront/Paradise Lost some of Deep Space Nine's best episodes. Me included.
It's very good but it has its flaws. My favourite DS9 episodes are In The Pale Moonlight, Duet, Far Beyond The Stars, Call To Arms and The Visitor.

Best Trek series ever .

Once again, 178 episodes vs. a two-hour film.

I expect a 2 hour movie to be able to compete with the average TNG or DS9 2-parter or finale. To demand less is to demand mediocrity. If a movie is significantly inferior to the average episode of the show it is based on, it can't really be deemed a success in my eyes.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 02:08 PM   #288
RAMA
Vice Admiral

DS9 is more complex than most make it sound..it is NOT just about a space station, and while it is about alien relations, it also had a ton of exploration...it found a huge empire on the other side ofthe galaxy for god sake. It also had spaceships, some which were used mainly for exploration and others simply for war.

While DS9 DID in fact have a coup episode it was alien derived, I see the parallel closer to a Trek MOVIE..STVI. We had both UFP and enemies conspire to stop peace.

RAMA
Old March 23 2013, 02:11 PM   #289
BillJ
Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
DS9 is more complex than most make it sound...
Deep Space Nine is no more or less "complex" than its parent or sibling series. It could be wonderfully good, it could be painfully bad and insanely mediocre just like every other Trek.
Old March 23 2013, 02:15 PM   #290
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Well, I think DS9 towers over the other shows pretty neatly but I also count Season 3 of Enterprise (It's better than any TNG season!) as one of my favourites so I'm used to being in the minority.
Old March 23 2013, 02:19 PM   #291
BillJ
Admiral

Best Trek series ever .
For me the original is the best. Part of it is the quality of storytelling, part of it's nostalgia.

There's no love like your first love. You'll find that out as you get older.

DalekJim wrote:

I expect a 2 hour movie to be able to compete with the average TNG or DS9 2-parter or finale. To demand less is to demand mediocrity. If a movie is significantly inferior to the average episode of the show it is based on, it can't really be deemed a success in my eyes.
Yes, no and maybe. I think Star Trek 2009 compared favorably to Trek's average outings. But there are things a movie has to do that a TV series really doesn't when it runs for a long-time. Every movie has to account for people who may not be familiar with the material, they also have to account for the fact that people expect extra "oomph" when they are putting down 40, 50 or 60 dollars (the range me and my wife spend when going to an evening show) for the experience.
Old March 23 2013, 02:24 PM   #292
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

For me the original is the best. Part of it is the quality of storytelling, part of it's nostalgia.
I rate TOS and TNG as being about equal if we just think of TOS S1-S2 vs TNG S3-S4. I prefer TOS's stylised atmosphere, warmth, humour and generally stronger, more consistent writing. But I also prefer TNG's more serious, less campy, more science-fiction, more character driven and more conceptual approach. Love Picard and Kirk. Despise Troi and Sulu.

DS9 has the warmth and humour of TOS but with the more serious TNG approach there too. The best of both worlds.
Old March 23 2013, 02:28 PM   #293
Flake
Commodore

You have not seen the movie yet. You've seen a trailer that has cherry picked some cool explosions and fighting and shooting but there is still two hours to be filled and there should be much more to it than your average transformers movie. They can't have an explosion or phasers firing every 2 seconds during the whole two hours! These characters have to react to loss and death and the shock of these events and JJ has often said this movie is about a family coming together... Forming an opinion of the entire movie from this trailer? Madness. Yes it looks action packed but still lots to see.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 02:30 PM   #294
RAMA
Vice Admiral

DS9 is more complex than most make it sound...
Deep Space Nine is no more or less "complex" than its parent or sibling series. It could be wonderfully good, it could be painfully bad and insanely mediocre just like every other Trek.

My point is that fans and non-fans too often describe it in general terms, "that show on the space station" when it fact, it is more than this. I wasn't talking about stories or quality.

For myself, i don't think serialization is absolutely necessary for quality drama...while I love many DS9 episodes and the general war arc, the arc also keeps me from rewatching the series as much as TOS or STNG.

RAMA
Old March 23 2013, 02:32 PM   #295
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Well, I think DS9 towers over the other shows pretty neatly but I also count Season 3 of Enterprise (It's better than any TNG season!) as one of my favourites so I'm used to being in the minority.
For good measure, my favorite ST show seasons in order:

1. STNG-Season 4
2. TOS-Season 1
3. STNG-Season 3
4. DS9-Season 6
5. ENT-Season 4

RAMA
Old March 23 2013, 02:37 PM   #296
BillJ
Admiral

For good measure, my favorite ST show seasons in order:

1. STNG-Season 4
2. TOS-Season 1
3. STNG-Season 3
4. DS9-Season 6
5. ENT-Season 4

RAMA
Why not? Here's my list:

1. Star Trek season 1
2. Star Trek season 2
3. The Next Generation season 1
4. The Next Generation season 2
5. Enterprise season 4
Old March 23 2013, 02:53 PM   #297
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I'd rank 'em as seasons:

1) DS9 S6
2) DS9 S5
4) TOS S1
5) ENT S3
5) TNG S3

Nice to see more support of ENT's final few seasons. Star Trek was the best it had been since DS9's peak years.
Old March 23 2013, 02:56 PM   #298
BillJ
Admiral

Nice to see more support of ENT's final few seasons. Star Trek was the best it had been since DS9's peak years.
The final season of Enterprise would likely rank higher on many lists if not for "These are the Voyages..."

For me, DS9 was always the most wildly inconsistent of the shows from episode to episode.
Old March 23 2013, 03:02 PM   #299
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

The final season of Enterprise would likely rank higher on many lists if not for "These are the Voyages..."
It's an excellent season to be sure. It always saddens me to see everybody in this section say that Abrams made Trek interesting for the first time since TNG was on air. If the quality kept up and it ran for a full 7 seasons or whatever, ENT would be thought of as a great show. It didn't coast like Voyager, it improved substantially.

For me, DS9 was always the most wildly inconsistent of the shows from episode to episode.
I recently finished a marathon of the whole show and it did bug me how some wildly experimental game-changing episodes would be followed by tedious Ferengi comedy or a romance of the week ep.
Old March 23 2013, 03:12 PM   #300
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Anybody remember when this franchise was about exploring?
I'm not going to sit and count episodes, but not really, no. And I was around at the beginning.

Don't take Kirk's monolouge too seriously. Too many have, on both sides of the camera, right down to the payoff being Archer wrote the words and delivered them in a major speech (which made me throw up a little in my mouth when I heard it -- because the words really aren't that profound or inspiring).

That monologue was never meant to become an edict or the litmus test by which the entire franchise was to be measured for quality or purity.

They were written only to convey the most general gist of the show to the audience every week. A reminder that this isn't a western or hospital show. "Oh, yeah, they're in a space ship. There's a guy with pointed ears. I'll see sexy alien babes." It was fairly common in the day, right down to "Gilligan's Island", "I Dream of Jeanie", and "The Beverly Hillbillies".