Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 22 2013, 07:41 PM   #31
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: Ever like a show but...

Australis wrote: View Post
Lily, on HIMYM, ruins the show for me.
I'm not sure if that falls under the rules for the thread
Old March 22 2013, 08:04 PM   #32
Takeru
Fleet Captain

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Ah then, I wouldn't know. I left at the end of the "College Robot Soldiers of Peace" season.
That means you missed season 5, aka the best season of the show.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 08:07 PM   #33
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Takeru wrote: View Post
Ah then, I wouldn't know. I left at the end of the "College Robot Soldiers of Peace" season.
That means you missed season 5, aka the best season of the show.
Oh well, I can live with that.
Old March 22 2013, 08:11 PM   #34
Masquerade
Rear Admiral

I didn't hate Buffy, but she was the least interesting character on her own show. Similarly, the first show I thought of when reading the topic was Angel. I didn't hate him; I just preferred to watch every supporting character.
Old March 22 2013, 08:20 PM   #35
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

I don't know, I hated every single character in Oz, but that was the point, wasn't it? And it's not as if people watched House because they liked House, right?
I liked House, the character, he seemed a like a genuine character with complicated issues. And there were plenty of times he showed great moments of real humanity. They were fleeting, sure, but they happened.

To the OP: I agree, Fraiser Crane is pretty big pompous ass, quite the opposite of the man we saw on Cheers. At times in "Frasier" it was hard to go along with him and want him to succeed because, well, he was a pompous ass. Look at an early episode where he seemed to struggle going to a steak-house with his father and enjoying it -even getting his tie cut off as it was forbidden wear in the place. He acted like he was in a foreign country or something and had no clue what he was doing or who he was with. This was a man who spent pretty much every minute of his free time the last nine years or so in a working-class bar.
Old March 22 2013, 09:05 PM   #36
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

the G-man wrote: View Post
I enjoyed the supporting cast on "Ally McBeal," especially Cage and Fish but never could understand why that skinny brat was supposed to be the main character/siren for every single (and some married) men in Boston... especially in an office that employed Courtney Thorne Smith, Lucy Liu, Portia DelRossi and Jane Krakowski as co-workers.
This!

She grew more tolerable once she stopped pining after Billy so much and accepted that she was simply nuts (what with the dancing baby and all).
And I actually started to like her in season four when she dated Iron Man.

Not a big fan of Renee either.

But the show really was lucky to have such a great support cast and might have been even better if it was called Cage & Fish and didn't rely on Ally so much.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 09:11 PM   #37
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

ManOnTheWave wrote: View Post
I didn't hate Buffy, but she was the least interesting character on her own show.
This. I always have to explain it as "I like Buffy, but I like all the other characters a lot more."
"For those of you playing the home game, this is what is known as a 'Prince Albert'. And I'm sure that was his last wish. 'Victoria, I'm dying. I want you to name a museum, a performance hall, and a bolt through the cock after me.'"
—Robin Williams, Live on Broadway
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 09:14 PM   #38
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

I have fond memories of the second season of Ally McBeal, which is, if I'm not mistaken, the only series - or one of the few - to deal with the themes of depression and loneliness for a whole year. They didn't use those words, but during the whole second season, Ally was basically clinically depressed, and I thought it was a radical idea for a comedy show.
Old March 23 2013, 12:20 AM   #39
Sto-Vo-Kory
Commander

Homeland and Walking Dead, for me.

For as much acclaim as she gets, I find Claire Danes' performance to just be strange and inauthentic. The rest of the show is pretty great.

Andrew Lincoln tries so hard to be tough and complicated that the actor that plays his son even upstages him with a more subtle and subdued performance. And that kid just stands there silently in most episodes! Again, love the rest of this show, too.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 12:33 AM   #40
stj
Rear Admiral

Olivia Dunham on Fringe didn't keep me from watching for quite some time, nor does Temperance Brennan on Bones. Seeley Booth is wearing badly too, I'm mentally writing a fan fic where his intuitive manliness gets everybody but his girlfriend killed.

But like most people if I positively dislike the main character, it tends to ruin the show.
Old March 23 2013, 01:42 AM   #41
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

I have fond memories of the second season of Ally McBeal, which is, if I'm not mistaken, the only series - or one of the few - to deal with the themes of depression and loneliness for a whole year. They didn't use those words, but during the whole second season, Ally was basically clinically depressed, and I thought it was a radical idea for a comedy show.
Funny you should mention that considering one of the names that keeps recurring in this thread. Watching the rest of Buffy might not be a bad idea.
Old March 23 2013, 02:02 AM   #42
Gov Karnstein
Admiral

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
the G-man wrote: View Post
I enjoyed the supporting cast on "Ally McBeal," especially Cage and Fish but never could understand why that skinny brat was supposed to be the main character/siren for every single (and some married) men in Boston... especially in an office that employed Courtney Thorne Smith, Lucy Liu, Portia DelRossi and Jane Krakowski as co-workers.
This!

She grew more tolerable once she stopped pining after Billy so much and accepted that she was simply nuts (what with the dancing baby and all).
And I actually started to like her in season four when she dated Iron Man.

Not a big fan of Renee either.

But the show really was lucky to have such a great support cast and might have been even better if it was called Cage & Fish and didn't rely on Ally so much.
That show was Boston Legal. Both The Practice and BL are shows I love, but Ally just kills that show for me. It would have been great without her.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Karnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 11:22 AM   #43
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

I think the dancing baby killed it for me.
Old March 23 2013, 01:50 PM   #44
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

Kestrel wrote: View Post
Funny you should mention that considering one of the names that keeps recurring in this thread. Watching the rest of Buffy might not be a bad idea.
Probably, but life's too short.
Old March 23 2013, 03:04 PM   #45
NCC-1701-B
Fleet Captain

I can't stand Kira on DS9, she's just angry.

Hellooo...
NCC-1701-B is offline   Reply With Quote