To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

View Poll Results: What ethnicity are you?
White 78 82.98%
Black 2 2.13%
Asian 1 1.06%
Hispanic 1 1.06%
Mixed race 5 5.32%
Other 7 7.45%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 22 2013, 02:42 AM   #76
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: What ethnicity are you?

Pacific Islander.
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 09:47 AM   #77
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ You'll always be Blue Blood Bostonian to me.
Old March 22 2013, 10:19 AM   #78
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Thank you, good fellow.
Old March 22 2013, 10:27 AM   #79
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

I'm a Narn
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 01:23 AM   #80
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Funny, you don't look Narnish.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 03:36 AM   #81
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Sometimes on applications I check the other box and write "Irrelevant."
Old March 23 2013, 03:54 AM   #82
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Please don't take this as a personal attack, because you know I love ya, but the thing is, while it probably should be irrelevant, for anyone who's not white, it's not (I'm being Western-Centric right now, obviously). I hate to toss up words like privilege, but the experience of being White in America (and Canada and Western Europe, as far as I know) is markedly different from being Not White. Racial demographics are actually important in understanding things like social, educational, and financial inequity, violence, disease rates, morbidity, drug use, etc.

I admire the philosophy behind opting for "human" or "irrelevant" or whatever, but philosophy and reality aren't the same thing, and I think that entering incomplete data is just doing a disservice to those who don't have the luxury of considering their ethnicity irrelevant.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 04:02 AM   #83
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Good point. Personal blindness to ethnicity/skin color is a wonderful thing. When you see someone as a human being rather than solely as a [skin color] person, you've managed to move past silly differences like that, because those things are irrelevant. They say nothing about the person's character.

The problem is that there are still people who gauge the value of others based on mere skin color, and as long as that's a problem, such form questions have to exist, if only to ensure that people aren't discriminated against for something which has no bearing on the content of their character, or the value of their skills. I can't wait for the day when such questions are no longer needed, but for now, they have to stay.

Still, I do like the idea of "irrelevant" being shorthand for one's derision toward people who base their judgments on another person's skin color, gender, disability, or orientation. On a form, though, it's got to be there.

Although I have been mighty tempted to check a box other than "White", and then show up for an interview. I don't think it would end well, though, so I doubt I'll ever try it. I wanted to try something like "Pacific Islander", and then tell them I lived on a small island just north of Antarctica, way far into the south Pacific. I'd have a great backstory, too.
Old March 23 2013, 06:58 AM   #84
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

I wanted to try something like "Pacific Islander", and then tell them I lived on a small island just north of Antarctica, way far into the south Pacific. I'd have a great backstory, too.
Stewart Island/Rakiura, New Zealand - third largest island of New Zealand. Population 400. Southernmost settlement of NZ. There are a few uninhabitant NZ islands further south.

Macquarie Island, Tasmania is much further south but only scientists live there.

The trouble with trying to say you live on a small island just north of Antarctica is anything further south is in the Great Southern Ocean not the Pacific.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 07:02 AM   #85
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
I wanted to try something like "Pacific Islander", and then tell them I lived on a small island just north of Antarctica, way far into the south Pacific. I'd have a great backstory, too.
Stewart Island/Rakiura, New Zealand - third largest island of New Zealand. Population 400. Southernmost settlement of NZ. There are a few uninhabitant NZ islands further south.

Macquarie Island, Tasmania is much further south but only scientists live there.

The trouble with trying to say you live on a small island just north of Antarctica is anything further south is in the Great Southern Ocean not the Pacific.
It wouldn't really matter in the United States. I could say Tasmania, and all the interviewer would likely do is give me a blank stare anyway.

Geography: Not our nation's strong suit.

Although I am liking the scientist angle now.
Old March 23 2013, 07:57 AM   #86
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
because you know I love ya,
If I knew, you wouldn't have to tell me. But that's okay, love you too.

I admire the philosophy behind opting for "human" or "irrelevant" or whatever, but philosophy and reality aren't the same thing, and I think that entering incomplete data is just doing a disservice to those who don't have the luxury of considering their ethnicity irrelevant.
But I don't see why. A person's ethnicity is absolutely no barometer of a person's aptitude for any job. It's like when they ask permission to check your credit rating. The reality, as you say, is that there are a million reasons a person might have a poor credit score, non of which have anything to do with an applicant's ability to work.
Old March 23 2013, 08:10 AM   #87
Jono
Rear Admiral

Mixed. White and Melanesian. I often get mistaken for being Polynesian.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 10:04 AM   #88
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Thank you, good fellow.
Shake a leg, butter and egg.

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
The reality, as you say, is that there are a million reasons a person might have a poor credit score, non of which have anything to do with an applicant's ability to work.
And probably the reason they're looking for a job.
Old March 23 2013, 12:05 PM   #89
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^Please don't take this as a personal attack, because you know I love ya, but the thing is, while it probably should be irrelevant, for anyone who's not white, it's not (I'm being Western-Centric right now, obviously). I hate to toss up words like privilege, but the experience of being White in America (and Canada and Western Europe, as far as I know) is markedly different from being Not White. Racial demographics are actually important in understanding things like social, educational, and financial inequity, violence, disease rates, morbidity, drug use, etc.

Glad someone wrote this

As a black American, I can tell you that all that "human" and "irrelevant" stuff is nonsense out in the real world. In fact the only folks that have the luxury of saying such things are white (or could pass as such). The rest of us know better.

I even consider the label "mixed" not particularly useful because in the real world it does not mean much. I mean honestly who isn't mixed?
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 03:18 PM   #90
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

White, Scottish.

I dont drink buckfast or whiskey, i dont take lard intravenously, and i dont have ginger hair, so before you ask yes, i'm not very scottish. lol

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote