Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 21 2013, 09:37 PM   #31
tighr
Commodore

Re: NBC: Jimmy Fallon to replace Jay Leno in 2014

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
Did you miss the part about the higher stakes at 11:30 making the networks more risk-averse? What works for crime shows and local newscasts doesn't translate to what will work for a comedy talk show, they're different beasts.
The tame jokes on the Tonight Show were producing flat ratings and shows that no one cared about. In addition, the Jay Show at 10pm (last I checked, it was a comedy talk show ) was taking all of the good prime guests away from Conan's show.

When Conan found out he was for sure getting fired, he turned up the heat and started killing it with hard hitting jokes. On top of that, he was getting some of the best A-list celebrities ever. The ratings for Conan's final two weeks on the Tonight Show were higher than they had seen in years.
Old March 21 2013, 10:32 PM   #32
foxhot
Fleet Captain

And most importantly, he was actually FUNNY. The way Leno always was until the moment he took over ''The Tonight Show.'' I still don't understand why.
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 02:40 AM   #33
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Reason why NBC is willing to get rid of Leno now is because ABC has a late night 11:35 show now, so there is no danger of Leno running to another network.
Old March 22 2013, 02:48 AM   #34
tighr
Commodore

Fox is still looming, and may have made progress on their affiliate issue that prevented the Conan deal from going through.
Old March 22 2013, 03:14 AM   #35
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

the G-man wrote: View Post
Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
It's sad and funny, that Leno thinks the NBC executives are now snakes. What did he expect? ....Leno is an ass and should have told NBC to shove it, but selfishly he wanted his show back. Now I just follow Conan on Facebook and watch the funny clips he posts on his website.
Listen, I think Conan is much funnier than Jay. But the fact of the matter was that Jay was basically fired from a job he was successful at (commercially anyway) and loved. He was replaced by a guy who didn't get as high ratings so they asked him back. I don't see how that's his fault or why he should have refused to take back the gig, especially when it would have probably just led to Fallon or someone else replacing Conan.

If anything, it's the suits who orchestrated the change and then panicked when Conan wasn't an overnight sensation who deserve the blame.
IIRC, the decision was driven less by Conan's Tonight Show ratings and far more by the abysmal prime trime ratings of The Jay Leno Show. Honestly, I suspect that NBC would have been willing to stick with Conan except that Leno was guaranteed a $60 million payout if they cancelled The Jay Leno Show within 2 years. Conan was only guaranteed $40 million to make him go away. From a mathematical perspective, it simply made more sense to ditch Conan rather than Leno.

I think Conan is way funnier than Leno too but I have never understood the way Leno gets painted as a villain in all this. Honestly, the main driving force behind that whole debacle would have been the NBC executives that (1) realized that Conan was getting lucrative offers from other networks that NBC couldn't match while keeping him on Late Night, (2) made hasty promises to keep Conan by promising him The Tonight Show within a few years, and (3) made the really ill-advised desperation move to try to keep both of them by giving Leno a prime time talk show, which quickly failed. The scars of The Jay Leno Show can still be seen at NBC today. If not for The Jay Leno Show, they probably would have kept Southland and would generally have a better standing among the creative community for 1-hour dramas.

BTW, I'm always surprised that people talk about Conan as if he's an innocent victim in all this when he basically stole George Lopez's timeslot.

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
Galileo7 wrote: View Post
Agree. Conan should get the Tonight Show back now, since Jay did then.
Big difference: Leno hadn't gone to another network. Conan's day is done. It wasn't his fault, he got screwed over, but now he's a niche player and it's pretty unlikely he'll have a big network shot again.
Well, considering how the big networks are progressively deteriorating (NBC faster than most), I'm not sure that means a heck of a lot anymore.

tighr wrote: View Post
Who says 11:35p has such a broad audience that they have to be tame with their jokes? It doesn't stop TDS and TCR on Comedy Central from going blue at 10pm. For that matter, it doesn't stop reruns of Roseanne on Fox at 10pm, or reruns of classic Simpsons episodes like Marge vs the Monorail.
What was so edgy about "Marge vs. the Monorail"?

In addition, the Jay Show at 10pm (last I checked, it was a comedy talk show ) was taking all of the good prime guests away from Conan's show.
Actually, from what I recall hearing, The Jay Leno Show lost several high profile guests because the other networks were so offended by the notion of a talk show in prime time that they forbade many of their stars from appearing on it. I distinctly remember that Kelsey Grammer was forbidden from appearing on the show until after ABC cancelled Hank.
Old March 22 2013, 03:25 AM   #36
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

Fox is still looming, and may have made progress on their affiliate issue that prevented the Conan deal from going through.
But isn't FOX bring back Arsenio Hall?
I mean he hasn't been relevant since his show went off the air in 1994.
this new one won't last.
They should let the Tonight Show die.
Old March 22 2013, 05:57 AM   #37
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Conan should take Jimmy's spot, that was when he was best, not that it would ever happen.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
ManOnTheWave wrote: View Post
So in 2015 Leno is back on NBC and and Fallon has a new show on the USA Network?
Wait... there's still a USA Network? How can one network survive on nothing but marathons of Wings?
Haven't watched in the last 15 years, eh?
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 04:14 PM   #38
tighr
Commodore

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
BTW, I'm always surprised that people talk about Conan as if he's an innocent victim in all this when he basically stole George Lopez's timeslot.
If I recall, Conan was reluctant to take the TBS job for that very reason, until he received a personal phone call from George Lopez urging him to take the deal. Sure, that could have been public grandstanding (much like Jay publicly saying in 2004 that he was happy for Conan), but nonetheless the story was that Conan was considering turning down TBS' offer.

In the Tonight Show debacle, Conan never deviated from his belief that the Tonight Show was an institution, and that he would rather walk away from the show than accept a move to midnight. Going back to 12:35 was a no-go, because Fallon was already there and he didn't want to bump him out of his show, either. Jay Leno never said that he was willing to walk away from the "Jay Leno Show".

It was a subtle (maybe too subtle) reminder that Conan O'Brien wrote "Marge vs the Monorail", as well as several other episodes of the Simpsons, which have gone down as some of the best episodes of that show's ENTIRE run.
Old March 22 2013, 06:13 PM   #39
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Oh god... NBC is fucked.

Seth Meyers is looking into the 12:35 slot!

http://tvline.com/2013/03/22/late-ni...-jimmy-fallon/

Worst pick ever.
Old March 22 2013, 06:15 PM   #40
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

It would be wonderful if circumstances brought Conan back to "Tonight Show"

Conan- I went on a "walkabout". I traveled the lands of a far away placed called TBS!
Old March 22 2013, 06:56 PM   #41
the G-man
Commodore

They should let the Tonight Show die.
It's a profitable show for the network and relatively cheap to produce. It's an easy way for the entertainment industry to shill their upcoming movies/TV shows/musical acts. Like sports and reality TV it's one of the few products that still lends itself to the network TV model in a world where DVDs and downloads are the place to go for quality fictional programs. You'll see NBC bring back Supertrain before they cancel the Tonight Show.

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
It would be wonderful if circumstances brought Conan back to "Tonight Show"
Not going to happen for numerous reasons, including bad blood between Coco and the network and that Lorne Michaels wants Fallon to get it.

If anything, Conan might find a way to take over for Letterman someday.

Last edited by the G-man; March 22 2013 at 07:09 PM.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 07:05 PM   #42
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

If I recall, Conan was reluctant to take the TBS job for that very reason, until he received a personal phone call from George Lopez urging him to take the deal. Sure, that could have been public grandstanding (much like Jay publicly saying in 2004 that he was happy for Conan), but nonetheless the story was that Conan was considering turning down TBS' offer.

In the Tonight Show debacle, Conan never deviated from his belief that the Tonight Show was an institution, and that he would rather walk away from the show than accept a move to midnight. Going back to 12:35 was a no-go, because Fallon was already there and he didn't want to bump him out of his show, either. Jay Leno never said that he was willing to walk away from the "Jay Leno Show".

It was a subtle (maybe too subtle) reminder that Conan O'Brien wrote "Marge vs the Monorail", as well as several other episodes of the Simpsons, which have gone down as some of the best episodes of that show's ENTIRE run.
Yeah, George was trying to get Conan to sign on. Here's an article on it: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...es-Fox-for-TBS

And the relevant portion:
Escapist Magazine wrote:
Conan O'Brien is not going to Fox or even Comedy Central. He instead will be appearing on TBS (Turner Broadcasting System) as early as November. The potential deal with Fox soured when it was clear that the network wasn't going to let O'Brien own his show. TBS was ready to play ball, however, offering a reported 8 figure deal and complete show ownership. O'Brien was initially reluctant to bump George Lopez from his 11pm EST time slot, like Leno did to him this year, but was persuaded when the Latino comic called him personally to urge him to come to TBS.
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 07:08 PM   #43
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

It's a profitable show for the network and relatively cheap to product. It's an easy way for the entertainment industry to shill their upcoming movies/TV shows/musical acts. Like sports and reality TV it's one of the few products that still lends itself to the network TV model in a world where DVDs and downloads are the place to go for quality fictional programs. You'll see NBC bring back Supertrain before they cancel the Tonight Show.
True, but there's really no reason to keep the old desk/couch/skyline picture format. A comedy/interview show could be completely different.
Old March 22 2013, 07:15 PM   #44
the G-man
Commodore

But why mess with something that, from a commerical standpoint, works? Hell, but for the fake skyline, even Stewart and Colbert are basically the same format.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 07:24 PM   #45
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

But why mess with something that, from a commerical standpoint, works?
Because change is fun. This is an outmoded, spectacularly stagnant and conservative format, anything else would be a breath of fresh air.