RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,880
Posts: 5,329,374
Members: 24,556
Currently online: 626
Newest member: EvyR55

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 22 2013, 05:10 PM   #1
WesleysDisciple
Lieutenant Commander
 
"the chase" Reprucussions

its never mentioned again... but any idea how the message at the end of the episode affects the academic and scientific community in the federation and elsewhere?
WesleysDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 05:55 PM   #2
MikeS
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Liverpool, UK
Re: "the chase" Reprucussions

Why would there be reprecussions except for the advancement of peace, knowledge and understanding?

We don't really get to see the "reprecussions" of the Theory of Evolution in everyday life... Maybe the odd documentary about some backward hick school teaching "inteligent design", but other than that it doesn't really affect us too much.

I think the same would apply to the Trek universe and to the "Theory of Galactic-Evolution" - perhaps they debate it in science symposiums, perhaps some backward "hick" school on Andor teaches that we all evolved seperatley on seperate planets. Certainly nothing worthy of devoting an hours worth of television to.
__________________
One day soon, man is going to be able to harness incredible energies, energies that could ultimately hurl us to other worlds in... some sort of spaceship.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 06:10 PM   #3
Pavonis
Commodore
 
Re: "the chase" Reprucussions

Beyond the classroom and archaeological activities, the revelation of the existence of an ancient humanoid race that "seeded" planets billions of years ago wouldn't have any impact on day-to-day life or galactic politics. Besides, we rarely see anything of the non-Starfleet side of the Federation, so why would we expect to see the fall out from the episode "The Chase" in future episodes?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 08:34 PM   #4
Timo
Admiral
 
Re: "the chase" Reprucussions

One might assume the scientific community already believed in the existence of a progenitor culture or cultures, and in massive seeding, and had done so for centuries. It's a natural assumption, after all, given the evidence.

The idea that the progenitors could have left messages embedded in DNA appears to have come as a surprise, though - so one obvious consequence of the episode would be the launching of an effort to find more such messages, possibly by other ancients. The existence of such messages is more or less inevitable, and there would probably be interesting stories to be told there.

Not in the sense of making for interesting, televisable episodes of Star Trek on their own, of course: "The Chase" already covered that ground. They might be the basis of novels - or an excuse to tell completely different stories much like the Iconian backstory from "Contagion" was an excuse to tell "To the Death", or the time travel element from "Tomorrow is Yesterday" was used to set up "Assignment: Earth".

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 09:11 PM   #5
Mojochi
Commodore
 
Mojochi's Avatar
 
Re: "the chase" Reprucussions

less killing one another?
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 10:18 PM   #6
Captain McBain
Captain
 
Location: Being congratulated on the bridge of the Enterprise after making captain
Re: "the chase" Reprucussions

MikeS wrote: View Post
Why would there be reprecussions except for the advancement of peace, knowledge and understanding?

We don't really get to see the "reprecussions" of the Theory of Evolution in everyday life... Maybe the odd documentary about some backward hick school teaching "inteligent design", but other than that it doesn't really affect us too much.
Yup, the old ad hominem attack. Actually, much evidence contradicts evolution and many scientists in our day are creationists. The reason for this is because evolution is not based on facts, but speculation and unproveable assumptions.

Intelligent design is reasonable and is supported by our everyday experiences; life and blind nature creating itself is unreasonable and not supported by our everyday experiences.

But, of course, emotion trumps the facts when it comes to the question of God's existence.
Captain McBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 10:32 PM   #7
Relayer1
Commodore
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: "the chase" Reprucussions

Captain McBain wrote: View Post
MikeS wrote: View Post
Why would there be reprecussions except for the advancement of peace, knowledge and understanding?

We don't really get to see the "reprecussions" of the Theory of Evolution in everyday life... Maybe the odd documentary about some backward hick school teaching "inteligent design", but other than that it doesn't really affect us too much.
Yup, the old ad hominem attack. Actually, much evidence contradicts evolution and many scientists in our day are creationists. The reason for this is because evolution is not based on facts, but speculation and unproveable assumptions.

Intelligent design is reasonable and is supported by our everyday experiences; life and blind nature creating itself is unreasonable and not supported by our everyday experiences.

But, of course, emotion trumps the facts when it comes to the question of God's existence.
Does someone out there want to pick that up, or is it too obvious a target ?
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 10:33 PM   #8
SonicRanger
Rear Admiral
 
SonicRanger's Avatar
 
Location: Sheffield, England
Re: "the chase" Reprucussions

Captain McBain wrote: View Post
Actually, much evidence contradicts evolution and many scientists in our day are creationists.
You don't know many scientists, do you?
__________________
"STAR TREK is... Action - Adventure - Science Fiction."
-- Gene Roddenberry, 1964, top of the first page of his original pitch and outline for Star Trek
SonicRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 11:20 PM   #9
Pondwater
Fleet Captain
 
Pondwater's Avatar
 
Location: In Left Field.
Re: "the chase" Reprucussions

The message fell on deaf ears. Besides Crusher and Picard, the rest of them kept bickering afterward. It was only the Romulan that messaged Picard afterward acknowledging the general point of the message saying "Perhaps were not completely dissimilar.." .

The Klingon and Cardassians quickly left orbit, probably forgetting what that message was about and returning to their home worlds. Probably the contents of the message was stored away by the Federation and Romulans in some database somewhere.
Pondwater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 11:34 PM   #10
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: "the chase" Reprucussions

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Captain McBain wrote: View Post
Yup, the old ad hominem attack. Actually, much evidence contradicts evolution and many scientists in our day are creationists. The reason for this is because evolution is not based on facts, but speculation and unproveable assumptions.

Intelligent design is reasonable and is supported by our everyday experiences; life and blind nature creating itself is unreasonable and not supported by our everyday experiences.

But, of course, emotion trumps the facts when it comes to the question of God's existence.
Does someone out there want to pick that up, or is it too obvious a target ?
Evolution will take care of it.
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 11:41 PM   #11
J. Allen
Best Pony™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: "the chase" Reprucussions

Captain McBain wrote: View Post
MikeS wrote: View Post
Why would there be reprecussions except for the advancement of peace, knowledge and understanding?

We don't really get to see the "reprecussions" of the Theory of Evolution in everyday life... Maybe the odd documentary about some backward hick school teaching "inteligent design", but other than that it doesn't really affect us too much.
Yup, the old ad hominem attack. Actually, much evidence contradicts evolution and many scientists in our day are creationists. The reason for this is because evolution is not based on facts, but speculation and unproveable assumptions.

Intelligent design is reasonable and is supported by our everyday experiences; life and blind nature creating itself is unreasonable and not supported by our everyday experiences.

But, of course, emotion trumps the facts when it comes to the question of God's existence.
Nah.
__________________
:: :: ::
Visit Brony Kingdom, where all of your wildest dreams will come true.
:: :: ::
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 11:46 PM   #12
Mojochi
Commodore
 
Mojochi's Avatar
 
Re: "the chase" Reprucussions

Captain McBain wrote:
But, of course, emotion trumps the facts when it comes to the question of God's existence.
You have facts that answer the question of God's existence? I'd like to examine those

Last edited by Mojochi; March 23 2013 at 12:07 AM.
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 11:49 PM   #13
J. Allen
Best Pony™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: "the chase" Reprucussions

Mojochi wrote: View Post
Relayer1 wrote: View Post
But, of course, emotion trumps the facts when it comes to the question of God's existence.
You have facts that answer the question of God's existence? I'd like to examine those
Watch out for quicksand, my friend.
__________________
:: :: ::
Visit Brony Kingdom, where all of your wildest dreams will come true.
:: :: ::
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 11:50 PM   #14
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Re: "the chase" Reprucussions

Mojochi wrote: View Post
Relayer1 wrote: View Post
But, of course, emotion trumps the facts when it comes to the question of God's existence.
You have facts that answer the question of God's existence? I'd like to examine those
Are you trying to appeal to our ignorance?
__________________
I haven't much to say.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 12:01 AM   #15
Mojochi
Commodore
 
Mojochi's Avatar
 
Re: "the chase" Reprucussions

I'm just saying I don't know of anyone who can offer up a fact that answers the question of God's existence, & leave it at that
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.