Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 22 2013, 03:31 PM   #16
indranee
Vice Admiral

Re: New Star Trek Into Darkness Teaser!

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
It's really unfortunate that Captain Robau is dead. Were he alive, the trailer would be different.

SHERLOCK: I'm better.
ROBAU: Better at what?
SHERLOCK: Everything.
ROBAU: I can prove you wrong.
Please. NOT the Robau thread again!
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 03:52 PM   #17
Romulan_spy
Commodore

I think some Trek fans are just going to have to get used to the fact that it is 2013 not 1978! CGI and big action sequences are here to stay! Trek is changing, accept it!
Romulan_spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 04:06 PM   #18
wjaspers
Lieutenant Commander

RAMA wrote: View Post
Its funny, lots of Trekkies complain but the lack of total knowledge will get them going to see the movie despite their qualms, while the public at large will go see the movie regardless. Win-win.
I will not see it

Mr Pointy Ears wrote: View Post
look like a standard big budget hollywood scifi action flick and not trek,the thing that harrison fly look like a supeup future helicopter.
I am not against ST looking like a big budget hollywood flic, but "seek out new civilizations" has been replaced by "seek out new special effects" "seek out new underwear" etc.

Romulan_spy wrote: View Post
I think some Trek fans are just going to have to get used to the fact that it is 2013 not 1978! CGI and big action sequences are here to stay! Trek is changing, accept it!
Trek is not changing, this is not trek. They could have had the decency to call it Battlestar Enterprise, so people would know that this travesty has nothing to do with the vision Gene Roddenberry had, en what gave a lot of people the name Trekkies.
wjaspers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 04:07 PM   #19
indranee
Vice Admiral

Romulan_spy wrote: View Post
THIS.

We also have to face the fact that trekkies moan and groan every chance they get. I well remember the bitching pre-TNG about everything under the sun, including the bald captain (as if Shatner was follicularly blessed, ever) and the idiot android

Not to mention the bitching post DS9 and VOY and ENT.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 04:11 PM   #20
KirkusOveractus
Captain

Send a message via AIM to KirkusOveractus

First and foremost, when it's a Paramount issued movie or series with the name "Star Trek", guess what? It's Star Trek!

Beyond that, why is there all is holiness about the "vision" Gene Roddenberry had, like it's supposed to be this utopia that even he was pumped up to believe by sycophants and followers over time?

Star Trek's base was to show that we would still be around a few hundred years from now and going further out into the galaxy than anyone now can ever dream, encountering the peril and wonder of what's out there!

Jeez, the first friggin' pilot had Pike threatening to snap The Keepers' neck if he kept up the illusions! How peaceful and understanding was that?
KirkusOveractus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 04:20 PM   #21
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

wjaspers wrote: View Post
Trek is not changing, this is not trek. They could have had the decency to call it Battlestar Enterprise, so people would know that this travesty has nothing to do with the vision Gene Roddenberry had, en what gave a lot of people the name Trekkies.
You clearly haven't seen the new Battlestar Galactica. Trek couldn't be more different in tone.

This is Star Trek, just as the classic movies were, just as The Next Generation, Voyager, Deep Space Nine and even Enterprise were. All different spins on the same universe. What ever happened to IDIC? You know, that thing Gene Roddenberry came up with*

*to sell pendants through Lincoln Enterprises.
Old March 22 2013, 04:32 PM   #22
Gojira
Commodore

Mr Pointy Ears wrote: View Post
look like a standard big budget hollywood scifi action flick and not trek,the thing that harrison fly look like a supeup future helicopter.
Looks like Trek to me. Do you want Star Trek: The Motionless Picture all over again?

I felt excitement and awe when watching the original series back in the 70s as a kid. This re-booted Star Trek has me feeling that way once more.
Old March 22 2013, 04:39 PM   #23
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

wjaspers wrote: View Post
I will not see it
And it's your absolute right. By all means, don't go see a movie if it doesn't appeal to you...

I am not against ST looking like a big budget hollywood flic, but "seek out new civilizations" has been replaced by "seek out new special effects" "seek out new underwear" etc.
... BUT of course, whatever you may say about the movie after you've informed us that you don't even plan to see it is completely devoid of interest.
Old March 22 2013, 04:55 PM   #24
Admiral

Indisputable proof that Star Trek Into Darkness is True Trek:
Old March 22 2013, 05:03 PM   #25
mos6507
Captain

I think it's hard to take any defense of JJ Trek seriously when your avatar is the enterprise "splishing" into the water like this is something to celebrate.
Old March 22 2013, 05:08 PM   #26
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

mos6507 wrote: View Post
I think it's hard to take any defense of JJ Trek seriously when your avatar is the enterprise "splishing" into the water like this is something to celebrate.
Not as difficult as it is to take criticism of current Trek laced with an overly impressed sense of superiority simply by virtue of holding a critical view.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 05:10 PM   #27
Admiral

Then you and I clearly enjoy Star Trek for different reasons.
Old March 22 2013, 05:12 PM   #28
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

"Defense"? We enjoy it. We enjoy it. There's no need to defend anything.

Let's celebrate.
Old March 22 2013, 05:13 PM   #29
Gojira
Commodore

The Enterprise crashing into water is something new! I want to see something new and different!
Old March 22 2013, 05:14 PM   #30
Rhaven
Captain

I still don't think the villain is going to be Khan, but he looks truly badass!