RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,250
Posts: 5,348,606
Members: 24,613
Currently online: 624
Newest member: Chairslinger

TrekToday headlines

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 22 2013, 04:43 PM   #226
Flake
Commodore
 
Location: Manchester, UK
Re: New trekID international trailer wed

Mark Lenard did a superb job as Sarek. Now OTOH Ben Cross.... not as good imo. I think he was the wrong choice though I am not sure who would have been better. Need to think about that one
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 04:44 PM   #227
Flake
Commodore
 
Location: Manchester, UK
Re: New trekID international trailer wed

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Nimoy, Quinto, Blalock and Alley are the only actors who've made Vulcan characters interesting.
Blalock? Excuse me, but she was the second worst actress to portray a Vulcan right after Kim Cattrall!

I think that Nimoy, Lenard and Russ have defined how a Vulcan should be played.
Blalock did a much better job in seasons 3 & 4. Season 2 T'Pol was pretty bad and Season 1 just awful but I don't think it was her fault, more the fault of the producers and scriptwriters.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 04:45 PM   #228
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: New trekID international trailer wed

Yeah, Lenard was generally awesome.
__________________
John
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 04:55 PM   #229
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: New trekID international trailer wed

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Nimoy, Quinto, Blalock and Alley are the only actors who've made Vulcan characters interesting.
Blalock? Excuse me, but she was the second worst actress to portray a Vulcan right after Kim Cattrall!
Nope. Sorry.

I think that Nimoy, Lenard and Russ have defined how a Vulcan should be played.
You got one right.

Quinto, Blalock and Alley were actual actors playing individuals. Most other performers who've been assigned these parts - I suppose with the partial exception of Lenard - just relied on mimicking Nimoy. Russ brought nothing memorable to his part at all.

The notion of "the way a Vulcan should be played" is arrant nonsense, but it fits comfortably into the broad stereotyping that Trek fans are used to. It's so much more fun to watch actors play people than racial stereotypes.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 04:58 PM   #230
FlapJoy
Lieutenant Commander
 
FlapJoy's Avatar
 
Location: Unhooked.
Re: New trekID international trailer wed

Flake wrote: View Post
Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Nimoy, Quinto, Blalock and Alley are the only actors who've made Vulcan characters interesting.
Blalock? Excuse me, but she was the second worst actress to portray a Vulcan right after Kim Cattrall!

I think that Nimoy, Lenard and Russ have defined how a Vulcan should be played.
Blalock did a much better job in seasons 3 & 4. Season 2 T'Pol was pretty bad and Season 1 just awful but I don't think it was her fault, more the fault of the producers and scriptwriters.
I agree. Yes, she may have struggled with the role in the early run, but she always came off as an ever unsure Vulcan all thru the series. But that was T'Pol, it was part of her appeal for me. And many of the story lines explored that aspect of T'Pol. When she says to Archer as he goes to war , "I don't want you to die!" It gets me every time. I felt her characters struggle to be that emotionally honest with a man she adores, even if it's not the Vulcan way.
Quinto is finding that balance too I think, and he's doing a great job... comedy is easy, playing a Vulcan is hard.
__________________
http://flapjoy.deviantart.com/
FlapJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 05:05 PM   #231
serenitytrek1
Commander
 
Re: New trekID international trailer wed

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Quinto's Spock is dead-on and just fine. It's great to have the character back in his prime after forty years.

Nimoy, Quinto, Blalock and Alley are the only actors who've made Vulcan characters interesting.


But dont you think Nimoy's Spock is now much much closer to his human side than Quinto's Spock will ever be.

Nimoy's Spock told Quinto's Spock to put aside logic and do what feels right or in other words ....there is nothing wrong in acting like a human.

I believe that is a huge deal for TOS Spock after years or let me say a lifetime of acting so cold and stoic.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 05:12 PM   #232
cbspock
Rear Admiral
 
cbspock's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
Re: New trekID international trailer wed

Flux Capacitor wrote: View Post
Kpnuts wrote: View Post
The shot of Eve half naked was stupid and totally out of place.
Right, because half-naked/scantily clad women and Star Trek have never crossed paths before...



Scandalous!


When did Star Trek fans get all prudish??? Classic Trek was known for the outfits the women wore (or didn't)


-Chris
__________________
"It's important to give it all you have while you have the chance."-Shania
cbspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 05:52 PM   #233
Franklin
Rear Admiral
 
Location: In the bleachers
Re: New trekID international trailer wed

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Quinto's Spock is dead-on and just fine. It's great to have the character back in his prime after forty years.

Nimoy, Quinto, Blalock and Alley are the only actors who've made Vulcan characters interesting.


But dont you think Nimoy's Spock is now much much closer to his human side than Quinto's Spock will ever be.

Nimoy's Spock told Quinto's Spock to put aside logic and do what feels right or in other words ....there is nothing wrong in acting like a human.

I believe that is a huge deal for TOS Spock after years or let me say a lifetime of acting so cold and stoic.
If by "closer" you mean more comfortable with his human side, I'd agree. He was at war with it. Over time, he made peace with his human side. I thought Spock had a very consistent story arc in TOS and the movies. In TMP he discovered through his mind meld with V-Ger that what he wanted in life more than anything, a life of pure logic, would be an empty life. The movies end with him telling Kirk he should tell Starfleet to "go to hell" rather than just turn around and go home as ordered. Along the way, he learns how to use colorful metaphors and eats some marshmellons. He's comfortable lying, even if he ratinalizes the lies.

I aways thought Spock Prime knew Spock wouldn't understand his advice (do what feels right) because he knows he wouldn't have understood it at that age. Still, he had to say it to give him something to think about in the future. A realization that it's possible that with logic alone, he's missing out on a fuller, more meaningful life.

At the same time, I think Quinto's Spock, having gone through the loss of his planet and his mother, having his full Vulcan and very important dad admit to him he went with his feelings and married a human out of love, and trying to have a relationship with Uhura is probably more willing and comfortable exploring his human side than Spock Prime was at that age.

If Quinto played Spock kind of like an uncertain adolescent trying to figure out who he is, I could see that. But this Spock's journey is much different than Spock Prime's.
__________________
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. -- Mark Twain
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 06:01 PM   #234
phoenix96
Ensign
 
Re: New trekID international trailer wed

cbspock wrote: View Post
When did Star Trek fans get all prudish??? Classic Trek was known for the outfits the women wore (or didn't)


-Chris
For me, the problem with that shot in the trailer is that it doesn't fit with the rest - it's all action shots, high energy, lots of movement, and then *bam* it's practically a freeze-frame of Eve, then back to action. If the shot of Eve had more movement rather than just the awkward pose, it wouldn't be as jarring.
phoenix96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 06:04 PM   #235
Ovation
Vice Admiral
 
Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: New trekID international trailer wed

phoenix96 wrote: View Post
cbspock wrote: View Post
When did Star Trek fans get all prudish??? Classic Trek was known for the outfits the women wore (or didn't)


-Chris
For me, the problem with that shot in the trailer is that it doesn't fit with the rest - it's all action shots, high energy, lots of movement, and then *bam* it's practically a freeze-frame of Eve, then back to action. If the shot of Eve had more movement rather than just the awkward pose, it wouldn't be as jarring.
This is a reasonable objection to the shot in the trailer--focusing on why it seems "out of sync" with the rest of the material, how it interferes with the dynamic flow and so on. (I don't necessarily agree, but it's a defensible critique.)

To argue, as others have, that it is somehow excessively sexist, is, frankly, absurd.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 06:07 PM   #236
SeerSGB
Admiral
 
SeerSGB's Avatar
 
Location: Tennessee
Re: New trekID international trailer wed

phoenix96 wrote: View Post
cbspock wrote: View Post
When did Star Trek fans get all prudish??? Classic Trek was known for the outfits the women wore (or didn't)


-Chris
For me, the problem with that shot in the trailer is that it doesn't fit with the rest - it's all action shots, high energy, lots of movement, and then *bam* it's practically a freeze-frame of Eve, then back to action. If the shot of Eve had more movement rather than just the awkward pose, it wouldn't be as jarring.
I don't get how people find it jarring. It's a quick little snap and move on; whole trailer's like that--trailers in general are like that. Just click, click, click, click, from one shot to the next. Certainly no more jarring than moving from one action shot to a character shot of any other character. It's just cause she's in her skivvies that it stands out.
__________________
- SeerSGB -
Good men don't need rules, The Doctor (A Good Man Goes To War)
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 06:10 PM   #237
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Re: New trekID international trailer wed

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
I don't get how people find it jarring. It's a quick little snap and move on; whole trailer's like that--trailers in general are like that. Just click, click, click, click, from one shot to the next. Certainly no more jarring than moving from one action shot to a character shot of any other character. It's just cause she's in her skivvies that it stands out.
Yes. Rigid visual juxtapositions are part of trailer-making 101.
__________________
Is this where we come in?
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 06:21 PM   #238
Franklin
Rear Admiral
 
Location: In the bleachers
Re: New trekID international trailer wed

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post
I don't get how people find it jarring. It's a quick little snap and move on; whole trailer's like that--trailers in general are like that. Just click, click, click, click, from one shot to the next. Certainly no more jarring than moving from one action shot to a character shot of any other character. It's just cause she's in her skivvies that it stands out.
Yes. Rigid visual juxtapositions are part of trailer-making 101.
As is showing scenes out of sequence to the story. It's a sampler. FUN! ACTION! DRAMA! DARING! SEX! IT'S ALL HERE, FOLKS! It whets the appetite.
__________________
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. -- Mark Twain
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 06:22 PM   #239
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: New trekID international trailer wed

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Shazam! wrote: View Post

I don't like the style of action presented.
Can you expand on that?
In a fashion which appeases all those rigidly blinkered by their unanimous adulation of all things Abrams' Star Trek? Probably not.
How about to those genuinely interested in hearing what style of action is inappropriate for a Star Trek film. This tendency to avoid actual defense of your positions and opinions by characterizing those asking as "rigidly blinkered by their unanimous adulation of all things Abrams' Star Trek" is tedious and give the impression you can't.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 06:57 PM   #240
WarpFactorZ
Captain
 
Re: New trekID international trailer wed

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
I don't get how people find it jarring. It's a quick little snap and move on; whole trailer's like that--trailers in general are like that. Just click, click, click, click, from one shot to the next. Certainly no more jarring than moving from one action shot to a character shot of any other character. It's just cause she's in her skivvies that it stands out.
I thought this scene shows "Hey look -- Kirk and Carol Marcus are getting together!" Isn't that fundamentally Trek lore? What's the big deal?
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.