RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,735
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 1051
Newest member: DeimosAnimus

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 22 2013, 03:27 PM   #211
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: New trekID international trailer wed

Shazam! wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
Well it's just bigger and better now. Pray tell what do you expect out of an action-adventure sf movie?
I expect exactly what we're getting which is why it's disappointing.

Gene Roddenberry called it it an adventure show.
But not action...
King Daniel wrote: View Post
From the original Star Trek pitch:

"Action - Adventure - Science Fiction."
REVELETORY!

It doesn't necessary follow that simply citing original series key elements renders all or any arguments against the new movies invalid. Otherwise TFF and Nemesis are would be more positively received than they are.
You're the guy saying "but not action" Star Trek is an action adventure series. Being disappointed that there is action in a Star Trek film doesn't make a lot of sense. It's like saying you don't like it having aliens. Now if you don't like the style of action presented, that might be a valid point.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 03:29 PM   #212
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Now if you don't like the style of action presented, that might be a valid point.
I don't like the style of action presented.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 03:44 PM   #213
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Now if you don't like the style of action presented, that might be a valid point.
Can you expand on that?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 03:48 PM   #214
SeerSGB
Admiral

KirkusOveractus wrote: View Post
Oso Blanco wrote: View Post

Quinto is great.

Spock had some humorous retorts in STIV, STV, STVI. You can't raise an eyebrow and have the backseat occupant see it.
Of course not, but that wasn't the point. Quinto always has that smirk on his face, no matter how Vulcan he's trying to be. And his voice sounds far too emotional for a Vulcan. Sometimes I think that he was more Vulcan when he was playing Sylar.
Nimoy had that smirk on his face plenty of times in TOS.

Also, I like Tim Russ, but IMO he made Tuvok out to be nothing more than a Nimoy impression and not his own personality.
Tim Russ is a fine actor, but you nailed my problems with Tuvok on the head. He missed the mark and Tuvok, for me, never really stood out as a character or a Vulcan.

Franklin wrote: View Post

Quinto is great.

Spock had some humorous retorts in STIV, STV, STVI. You can't raise an eyebrow and have the backseat occupant see it.
Of course not, but that wasn't the point. Quinto always has that smirk on his face, no matter how Vulcan he's trying to be. And his voice sounds far too emotional for a Vulcan. Sometimes I think that he was more Vulcan when he was playing Sylar.
Nimoy had said Quinto approaches the character a little differently than he did, but he still approved of the portrayal. There is emotional range in Spock's character. Quinto's Spock is closer to the "THE WOMEN!" stage of Spock's development than the more stoic, hold-it-in Spock we saw in TOS, followed by his mellowing and growing comfortable with his human side in the movies.

As far as the smirk on his face goes, Nimoy's Spock showed that certain self-satisfied look from time to time, too. And, he could be just as sarcastic.

For some reason, the line Spock gives in the trailer reminded me of when Kirk was trying to drive a car in "A Piece of the Action" and Spock told him he was an excellent starship commander, but he left a lot to be desired as a taxi driver.
Yeppers. Spock was always getting in little digs here and there. There's nothing wrong with Quinto's line
Old March 22 2013, 03:51 PM   #215
The Stig
Rear Admiral

I liked the debut of self-doubting Kirk. He was the best part of early TOS. "I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I only know what I can do." That sums up Kirk perfectly, IMHO. As for Quinto, his portrayal is miles ahead of Tim Russ and his retort to Kirk is completely in-line with his TOS character.

It really seems like the people who didn't like the trailer also couldn't possibly enjoy TOS.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 03:54 PM   #216
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Can you expand on that?
In a fashion which appeases all those rigidly blinkered by their unanimous adulation of all things Abrams' Star Trek? Probably not.
Old March 22 2013, 03:55 PM   #217
Oso Blanco
Fleet Captain

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Tim Russ is a fine actor, but you nailed my problems with Tuvok on the head. He missed the mark and Tuvok, for me, never really stood out as a character or a Vulcan.
I think he did a fantastic job as Tuvok!
Old March 22 2013, 03:57 PM   #218
Oso Blanco
Fleet Captain

The Stig wrote: View Post
As for Quinto, his portrayal is miles ahead of Tim Russ and his retort to Kirk is completely in-line with his TOS character.
My problem is not with the line itself, but with the way it's being delivered.
Old March 22 2013, 04:04 PM   #219
KirkusOveractus
Captain

Send a message via AIM to KirkusOveractus

The Stig wrote: View Post
As for Quinto, his portrayal is miles ahead of Tim Russ and his retort to Kirk is completely in-line with his TOS character.
My problem is not with the line itself, but with the way it's being delivered.
Of course, how things sound is a subjective topic, so to me, I thought the line was delivered as Spock would have said it in TOS. I, for one, didn't like how Nimoy himself delivered some lines as it was out of what was perceived as "in character" for Spock ("THE WOMEN!" for one), but there they are anyway.
KirkusOveractus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 04:07 PM   #220
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Can you expand on that?
In a fashion which appeases all those rigidly blinkered by their unanimous adulation of all things Abrams' Star Trek? Probably not.
Pffft. That just means that you can't actually articulate what you don't like about the trailer and Abrams' take on Trek.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 04:08 PM   #221
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

RUMBLED
Old March 22 2013, 04:23 PM   #222
FlapJoy
Lieutenant Commander

I felt Tuvok was a more traditional hard core Vulcan... The kind of Vulcan Spock always was trying to emulate. The brilliance of Nimoy's characterization was he always had that "sparkle". Spock always showed a twinkle of humanity, especially as his character had evolved. The Kolinar scene in TMP explored this conflicted Spock from TOS.
I gotta think Quinto is playing Spock from a timeline where he watched his whole world and family implode before his eyes, something like that could change a man, Vulcan or not. Quinto's Spock might be harboring resentments and rage, a subtle but different take on the character, all under the surface, at least for now. Maybe what he does in this film will help him confront those repressed emotions.
Old March 22 2013, 04:24 PM   #223
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Quinto's Spock is dead-on and just fine. It's great to have the character back in his prime after forty years.

Nimoy, Quinto, Blalock and Alley are the only actors who've made Vulcan characters interesting.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 04:27 PM   #224
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Kroykah!!!

No Mark Lenard, either?
Old March 22 2013, 04:40 PM   #225
Oso Blanco
Fleet Captain

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Nimoy, Quinto, Blalock and Alley are the only actors who've made Vulcan characters interesting.
Blalock? Excuse me, but she was the second worst actress to portray a Vulcan right after Kim Cattrall!

I think that Nimoy, Lenard and Russ have defined how a Vulcan should be played.