Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old March 22 2013, 04:01 PM   #16
Garrovick
Commander

Re: Day Of Honour...

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
A tetralogy in eight parts !
I guess you could say that the Day of Honor series is the "increasingly inaccurately named Hitchiker's Trilogy" of the Treklit universe...
Garrovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 08:37 AM   #17
Mage
Commodore

Is it me, or are there some weird inconsistencies in the DS9 novel? Like both the Defiant and Kor's ship firing while cloaked?
Old March 23 2013, 05:08 PM   #18
Mage
Commodore

Armageddon Sky was certainly a lot better then the TNG novel (forget the name already) but it had some odd moments. I sometimes felt there was some hinting towards Bashir being genetically engineered, but wasn't this novel written before that was revealed?
Old March 23 2013, 05:31 PM   #19
Relayer1
Commodore

Garrovick wrote: View Post
Relayer1 wrote: View Post
A tetralogy in eight parts !
I guess you could say that the Day of Honor series is the "increasingly inaccurately named Hitchiker's Trilogy" of the Treklit universe...
DON'T PANIC !
Old March 24 2013, 02:26 PM   #20
Christopher
Writer

Mage wrote: View Post
Armageddon Sky was certainly a lot better then the TNG novel (forget the name already) but it had some odd moments. I sometimes felt there was some hinting towards Bashir being genetically engineered, but wasn't this novel written before that was revealed?
It came out about six months after the episode aired, so there might've been time to do some late revisions alluding to Bashir's genetic enhancements.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 02:37 PM   #21
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

The TNG entry made me yearn for a Hornblower-esque series from Diane Carey. If she had written an historical Age of Fighting Sail series centered on the American Revolution, I'd have been there in a heartbeat.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 03:09 PM   #22
Mage
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
Mage wrote: View Post
It came out about six months after the episode aired, so there might've been time to do some late revisions alluding to Bashir's genetic enhancements.
Ah, makes sense then. I got the impression this novel was set during season 4, near the end perhaps, but that was only my impression.
Old March 24 2013, 04:40 PM   #23
Christopher
Writer

^Yeah, it was set in the fourth season (the text says 3 months after "The Way of the Warrior," though I think it works better placed later in the season), but the timeframes of Trek novels that came out during the series often lagged behind the show by a year or more, because of the long lead time in writing a book. So it's not out of the question that someone writing a book set in one season would have knowledge of events from the subsequent season, or would come across that knowledge during the writing process and work it into revisions. For instance, just to pick an example off the top of my head, Q-in-Law is set between "Deja Q" and "Qpid," but was written after "Qpid" with knowledge of that episode's events -- in fact, the novel makes an attempt to justify Q's lines about Picard saving his life in his previous visit as being about itself instead of "Deja Q" (though I don't think it quite works).

And of course Bashir was genetically enhanced all along even if nobody knew it, so there's no reason a fourth-season book couldn't reference the fact in Bashir's own thoughts, say.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote