Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Closed Thread

Old March 22 2013, 03:52 AM   #106
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Re: College: Gender Studies (Feminism Discussion)

Let me show you what real hate looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W46iTOiFm1U
Old March 22 2013, 04:13 AM   #107
Kestra
Vice Admiral

"Hey guys, you were all so excited the last time I chose to reply to a well thought out post with a link to a long YouTube video, I thought I'd do it again! Bonus: It's by the same person that you've never heard of before!"

Yeah, totally constructive. Since you're not going to use your own words, just make a post and throw up the bloggers/websites you're super into and want people to read. It will save a lot of back and forth where people try talking to you and you don't actually respond with any content of your own.
Old March 22 2013, 04:36 AM   #108
sojourner
Admiral

This thread reminds me of a quote from Justified:
"If you meet an asshole in the morning. You met an asshole. You meet assholes all day you’re the asshole."
Old March 22 2013, 05:21 AM   #109
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
"If you meet an asshole in the morning. You met an asshole. You meet assholes all day you’re the asshole."
Probably my favorite line from the show, I use it *all the time* with all the assholes I have to deal with.

Oh.

Huh.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
Old March 22 2013, 05:24 AM   #110
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

I am often the asshole.

But hey, I admit it.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old March 22 2013, 05:29 AM   #111
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post

Think you can dig that hole any deeper?
Old March 22 2013, 05:53 AM   #112
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

Taking care of some business after discussing things in the BR.

junxon wrote: View Post
really i can't see the downside in getting a qualification in a subject you find fascinating, so i reckon go for it.

and for the record, during the course of this thread derangednasat has made a lot of intrusive presumptions and attributed false strawman opinions to me that come across as intolerant and vindictive.

so i hope you permit me to call him a whiny little misogynist douchebag without giving me an infraction, but if you do i'm willing to accept it.
Infraction for flaming. Comments to PM.

Nasat, you have received a trolling infraction for a combination of derailing the OP's thread, repeatedly spamming with links instead of providing your own commentary, being unnecessarily hostile and unresponsive, and posting hateful, bigoted rhetoric. Comments to PM.
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
Old March 22 2013, 06:00 AM   #113
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

The videos of GirlWritesWhat are a far better introduction and explanation than any I can attempt here.
Sorry, but we're not interested in YouTube videos or blog links. You've had several people reach out to you in good faith for an actual conversation and try and get what this all means to you - not to some random blogger - because you've been a generally-liked part of the community. And you're swatting them away, some of the kindest of us, from a misguided attempt to... what, be strong and tough? Be "a real man" - which you've claimed not to buy into?

And sorry, but it's like sidious said - you're getting cut a lot of slack because people have tended to like your posting, but the stuff you're saying (or rather not saying; the blather you're linking to) is just too much. Holocaust deniers, flat-earthers, alien abductees, all would get a similar reaction because it's just too much. So we can't just say "Oh this all fits together in one pretty little picture and we're the ones who have a problem." Plus of course you're not actually trying to discuss. Is the stuff teacake linked to still pretty much how you feel, albeit several years old?

teacake wrote: View Post
I'm posting this because.. I've realized that my assumption that this was all tied into DN having a particularly bad time and snapping is wrong. Apparently he's always been like this.
Yeah, this is some pretty deep-seated and, hmm... confused stuff. And sad.
Old March 22 2013, 07:03 AM   #114
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

I consider myself to b a feminist and my reasons for being a feminist is because all through my life I have seen the inequality that women have had to put up with. For example

In the 1950s and 1960s In Tasmania (when I was a child) - women were forced to give up their public service jobs when they married - the exception to this was teachers and nurses.

Married women couldn't serve in the Armed Forces.

In the early 1970s when I was in high school girls were not allowed to study woodwork, metal work or technical drawing. We had to do home economics (i.e. cooking and sewing) instead.

In 1975 I applied for the first TV repair apprentiship offered in a Tasmania to a female. Up to then the only apprentiships that it was easy for a girl to get was in hairdressing.

In 1982 I had to get my husband's permission to have a tubal ligation despite me having it done because I had serious complications during my pregnancies and births.

In the 1980s women were offered jobs as drivers for our government run bus service for the first time. There were many men who objected to this say that they would refuse to board a bus being driven by a woman. A couple of years later there was the same sort of controversary about female pilots. And female jockeys as well.

Up to the 1990s in most places in the West, a man couldn't be charged with rape if his victim was his wife.

etc etc

It was the feminist movement that was fundamental in bringing around the changes that stop the above and many other practices. Though we have come along way in granting women equality, there is still quite a way to go.

Last edited by Miss Chicken; March 22 2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old March 22 2013, 09:56 AM   #115
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ Exactly. Extremists and political whackos aside, that's what real Feminism is all about.

I still like to call it Women's Lib, though.
Old March 22 2013, 02:18 PM   #116
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I see many comments saying things along the lines of "I always thought of you as one of the most insightful, intelligent, well-meaning posters..." I appreciate that. Have you considered, though, that I'm still that same supposedly insightful, intelligent and well-meaning person (as opposed to, say, a raging misogynist) and that your difficulties reconciling your earlier idea of me with my supposed bigotry and logical errors is that I'm not bigoted and did not make logical errors? That the problem is your own perception of these issues - the very misconceptions I was trying to warn against and challenge when I posted the original links to someone about to potentially dive into the lies.
Step outside your mind for a moment and consider your responses in this thread. Your links and evidence are to blogs and websites of dubious origin that are clearly pushing an anti-feminist agenda. You write off academia and research-based studies as being hopelessly undermined by feminist dogma that permeates those fields. To be blunt, your responses are not of the sort expected from a rational, neutral observer, your responses are indicative of conspiracy theorist behaviour. Your responses are similar to those of global warming deniers, 9/11 truthers, and young Earth creationists. However you may come across when discussing other subjects, on this particular subject you are completely unpersuasive.
Old March 22 2013, 03:20 PM   #117
Squiggy Claus
Rampant Sexist

View Squiggy Claus's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy Claus

This thread is worse than Hitler.
Old March 22 2013, 03:30 PM   #118
Collingwood Nick
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
I like this. Should remind myself of it .. specially when I'm driving ...
Old April 1 2013, 02:25 PM   #119
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

I came across this article over the weekend, and it's very good -- highly recommended reading for everyone in this thread: If I Admit That ‘Hating Men’ Is a Thing, Will You Stop Turning It Into a Self-Fulfilling Prophecy?

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
Old April 1 2013, 11:20 PM   #120
Lumos Ziyal
Rear Admiral

^Fabulous article, TSQ!
Closed Thread