Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 22 2013, 01:24 PM   #196
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Re: New trekID international trailer wed

RAMA wrote: View Post
Shazam! wrote: View Post

Other than that, lot's of generic action movie shit, revenge plotlines etc...

Pine and Cumberbatch look to be having fun though.
You mean like a space battle....oh wait, almost every ST movie; or you mean a chase on foot or vehicle...oops that was in STIII, STIV, STVI, STGEN, STINS, STNEM; or you mean assasination attempt, oh that was in STVI; a crash on a planet, damn that was in STIII, SIV STGEN...; revenge? ah that was in STII, STFC, STINS, STNEM
Yes, that's my point exactly.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 01:26 PM   #197
RAMA
Vice Admiral

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
When Uhura tells kirk that they they are outgunned and outnumbered.

It was as if I was watching a New Hope, when leia says.............''Help me Obi Wan Kenobi you are only hope.''

He is directing star wars now, I wish JJ will stop with the star wars in star trek.

Or maybe Kirk in STIII when he says thay Starfleet said, no but is going anyway, or Kirk to Picard in STGEN when he said the situation was grim and the odds were against them...they sound similar but in STID the context is way different than SW.

RAMA
Old March 22 2013, 01:27 PM   #198
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Spock's line made me laugh.
Old March 22 2013, 01:27 PM   #199
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Other than that, lot's of generic action movie shit, revenge plotlines etc...

Pine and Cumberbatch look to be having fun though.
You mean like a space battle....oh wait, almost every ST movie; or you mean a chase on foot or vehicle...oops that was in STIII, STIV, STVI, STGEN, STINS, STNEM; or you mean assasination attempt, oh that was in STVI; a crash on a planet, damn that was in STIII, SIV STGEN...; revenge? ah that was in STII, STFC, STINS, STNEM
Yes, that's my point exactly.
Well it's just bigger and better now. Pray tell what do you expect out of an action-adventure sf movie? Gene Roddenberry called it it an adventure show.
Old March 22 2013, 01:32 PM   #200
ROBE
Commander

Correct me if I am wrong but is Harrison beating up another villain?
ROBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 01:32 PM   #201
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
Spock's "I do not think that qualifies" line is atrocious; Nimoy would have said a thousand times more just by raising his eyebrow
That was my first thought when I saw the trailer. The way he delivers the line is making me cringe. Leonard Nimoy, Mark Lenard and Tim Russ knew how to portray a Vulcan, Quinto on the other hand seems to be completely clueless.
Quinto is great.

Spock had some humorous retorts in STIV, STV, STVI. You can't raise an eyebrow and have the backseat occupant see it.
Old March 22 2013, 01:34 PM   #202
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Flake wrote: View Post
When I say no exploring I mean that the Enterprise was not on a mission of exploration.
Oh, OK, but you didn't say that.

Why does it matter, anyway? At this point in the franchise, we care a whole lot less what they're up to before the opening scene than what they're up to once the movie starts. As Awesome Possum said, the whole point of exploration was just to bump into the plot. I wholeheartedly agree.

I can't think of a single Star Trek episode that was actually about exploration. On the other hand, I can think of plenty that began with the Enterprise entering orbit around a Starbase.

Besides, as I pointed out, many of the films managed to land on a strange new world of some kind, anyway.
Old March 22 2013, 01:41 PM   #203
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Well it's just bigger and better now. Pray tell what do you expect out of an action-adventure sf movie?
I expect exactly what we're getting which is why it's disappointing.

Gene Roddenberry called it it an adventure show.
But not action...
Old March 22 2013, 01:47 PM   #204
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Well it's just bigger and better now. Pray tell what do you expect out of an action-adventure sf movie?

But not action...
There was action, but of course little budget and location shooting. Often when they were on location, there was action..think about it...

RAMA
Old March 22 2013, 01:48 PM   #205
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

But not action...
There was action, but of course little budget and location shooting. Often when they were on location, there was action..think about it...

RAMA
WOW!
Old March 22 2013, 01:52 PM   #206
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Spock's line made me laugh.
Me too!
But not action...

From the original Star Trek pitch:

"Action - Adventure - Science Fiction."
Old March 22 2013, 01:54 PM   #207
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Spock's "I do not think that qualifies" line is atrocious; Nimoy would have said a thousand times more just by raising his eyebrow
That was my first thought when I saw the trailer. The way he delivers the line is making me cringe. Leonard Nimoy, Mark Lenard and Tim Russ knew how to portray a Vulcan, Quinto on the other hand seems to be completely clueless.
Quinto is great.

Spock had some humorous retorts in STIV, STV, STVI. You can't raise an eyebrow and have the backseat occupant see it.
Of course not, but that wasn't the point. Quinto always has that smirk on his face, no matter how Vulcan he's trying to be. And his voice sounds far too emotional for a Vulcan. Sometimes I think that he was more Vulcan when he was playing Sylar.
Old March 22 2013, 02:00 PM   #208
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

King Daniel wrote: View Post
From the original Star Trek pitch:

"Action - Adventure - Science Fiction."
REVELETORY!

It doesn't necessary follow that simply citing original series key elements renders all or any arguments against the new movies invalid. Otherwise TFF and Nemesis are would be more positively received than they are.
Old March 22 2013, 03:11 PM   #209
KirkusOveractus
Captain

Send a message via AIM to KirkusOveractus

Quinto is great.

Of course not, but that wasn't the point. Quinto always has that smirk on his face, no matter how Vulcan he's trying to be. And his voice sounds far too emotional for a Vulcan. Sometimes I think that he was more Vulcan when he was playing Sylar.
Nimoy had that smirk on his face plenty of times in TOS.

Also, I like Tim Russ, but IMO he made Tuvok out to be nothing more than a Nimoy impression and not his own personality.
KirkusOveractus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 03:25 PM   #210
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Quinto is great.

Nimoy had said Quinto approaches the character a little differently than he did, but he still approved of the portrayal. There is emotional range in Spock's character. Quinto's Spock is closer to the "THE WOMEN!" stage of Spock's development than the more stoic, hold-it-in Spock we saw in TOS, followed by his mellowing and growing comfortable with his human side in the movies.

As far as the smirk on his face goes, Nimoy's Spock showed that certain self-satisfied look from time to time, too. And, he could be just as sarcastic.

For some reason, the line Spock gives in the trailer reminded me of when Kirk was trying to drive a car in "A Piece of the Action" and Spock told him he was an excellent starship commander, but he left a lot to be desired as a taxi driver.