Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 22 2013, 01:31 AM   #31
MarsWeeps
Captain

Re: New poster seems proof UHURA has replaced DR. MCCOY in the big thr

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
Then again, I'm sure James Cameron auditioned plenty of candidates before hiring Saldana so he must have seen something there that he thought would fit with & elevate his movie.
Well, I'm sure it elevated something.
MarsWeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 01:34 AM   #32
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

MarsWeeps wrote: View Post
Then again, I'm sure James Cameron auditioned plenty of candidates before hiring Saldana so he must have seen something there that he thought would fit with & elevate his movie.
Well, I'm sure it elevated something.
Speaking of elevation and watching your avatar reminded me of that Dalek going up the stairs. Was it in season 1? I forgot.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 02:31 AM   #33
Christopher
Writer

RAMA wrote: View Post
I'd be happy to add up the grosses of Saldana's movies to Urbans because I count $2 billion alone for LOTR movies for Urban.
But Urban was a minor character in LOTR. I, for one, didn't even remember he'd been in that until I looked him up.

Spocks story in the first movie was relatively equal, but the second movie makes Spock secondary with development.
Oh, good grief -- you haven't even seen the damn movie yet! So obviously you can't actually know that. This conversation is a complete waste of time.

Hidden behind CGI. They could've stuck any actress there and I doubt it would have made any difference.
You've completely missed the entire point of performance capture. What was so revolutionary about the technology of Avatar was that it directly translated the actors' physical performances to the CG characters. It may not have been her face (though it was obviously modeled on it), but it was her voice, her expressions, her body language.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 03:17 AM   #34
The Wormhole
Admiral

Like I said in the last thread to cover this issue: so what? This is a reboot, that means doing something new and different. If they want to make Uhura one of the "Big Three" I have no problem with that. That's what you do with a reboot.

At times I don't understand this forum. You have people decrying Star Trek's tired old formula which led to the death of the franchise and that it's time for something new. But then Uhura's role is increased and it's "How dare they replace McCoy with Uhura, that goes against the old dynamic. I am outraged!" I'm not even going to comment on the contradiction between the "time for something new" sentimality and the "bring back Khan" rhetoric.
Old March 22 2013, 03:29 AM   #35
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

Did run a quick search, Zoe's movies have outgrossed Urbans, but if you subtract Avatar her grosses worldwide fall to about $1 billion. $654 million of that is Pirates of the Caribbean. All her other movies made $400 milliom or so. Subtract BOTH LOTR movies and Urban's total is slightly higher than Saldana's without Avatar. Plus I think her roles were smaller in her earlier movies than Urban, who can easily headline his own movie.

RAMA
He did and it bombed, although Dredd was pretty decent.
These are the spectacular adventures of Space Dandy and his brave space crew. In space.
Awesome Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 04:49 AM   #36
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post

Spocks story in the first movie was relatively equal, but the second movie makes Spock secondary with development.
Oh, good grief -- you haven't even seen the damn movie yet! So obviously you can't actually know that. This conversation is a complete waste of time.
It's not a huge leap...Kirk's story superseded Spock's by the end of the first movie, despite relatively equal time. As I said, both ad campaigns centered on voiceovers of Kirk's story, usually by Pike. As for STID, Spock has some moments in it of course, but it is Kirk's vendetta, Kirk that makes a prime directive mistake, Kirk that is the one who needs to grow and learn(per Pike). I don't need to see the movie to realize this.

RAMA
Old March 22 2013, 04:52 AM   #37
RAMA
Vice Admiral

According to Anthony at Tremovie:

I have got some clarification on the posters. These are not the final one-sheet posters that will be seen in International theaters. They are being described as “a special piece of artwork revealed through the trailer launch”
Old March 22 2013, 07:27 AM   #38
SonicRanger
Rear Admiral

Have you noticed the DVD and Blu-ray cover for Superman III?

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/imag...dvd-deluxe.jpg

It has Lorelei Ambrosis and the villainous Webster siblings... Where is Richard Prior?
Old March 22 2013, 09:14 AM   #39
Mike Farley
Commodore

Yeah, but on the actual poster used to market the movie in theaters Pryor is front and center being carried through the air by Superman.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 11:26 AM   #40
serenitytrek1
Commander

That's not even close to being true.
I would suggest watching a few behind the scenes featurettes on how they do performance capture for these things and how integral the actor's work is, especially in something like Avatar or the LOTR/Hobbit movies.
My point is, Saldana's performance wasn't critical to the success of the movie, in my opinion. Any half decent actress could have done the same thing she did and the movie still would have been a blockbuster.

Flat out disagree...Zoe Saldana's acting in Avatar got a lot of critical acclaim and it is her best work to date. I think someone has mentioned why Avatar was so ground breaking. It was the actors that did all the acting, it was not animation or kids or body doubles

Here is the proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOHPCI_9-eQ

When the film first came out there were whispers that ZoŽ was going to get a best actress nomination of her role as the Navi Princess but that didn’t happen

Such a shame since Kate Winslet got an Oscar nomination for best actress despite her terrible American accent in Titanic.

chris pine and zoe saldana are the biggest stars among the cast. The Academy chose both of them to host the technical Oscars and both were asked to represent Star Trek at the main Oscars.

Why not Chris and Zachary?

Don’t get me wrong, Zachary is huge as well and he will always be an icon to many TV fans and geeks because of his role as Sylar on HEROES. However Zachary doesn’t seem to have the heartthrob status that Chris Pine has (despite the fact that Zachary is more handsome than Chris).

Paramount does feel that Chris and Zoe are the prettiest and most commercial people among the cast so Paramount has decided to make both of them the face of the new film.

A lot of TOS purist fans have to accept it. This is year 2013, Star Trek can’t commercially survive with 3 Men on the poster. you need a woman, you need a woman, You need a woman.

In references to Lord of the Rings, The poster of the Two Towers had Aragon in between Arwen and Ewoyn . Arwen didn’t even have up to 10 minutes on screen time and the film was 3 hours long and even worse the love triangle in the Two Towers was secondary to the main plot story.

So, WOMEN MATTER......I just wish they weren’t so objectified in Star Trek.

Last edited by serenitytrek1; March 22 2013 at 11:36 AM.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 11:31 AM   #41
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

I have got some clarification on the posters. These are not the final one-sheet posters that will be seen in International theaters. They are being described as ďa special piece of artwork revealed through the trailer launchĒ
That's good because it really is a bag of shit.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 11:44 AM   #42
serenitytrek1
Commander

One minute I praise JJ for having Uhura as a strong female lead in this film and next I slam him for objectifing Carol as a sex object.

I hate the poster....That female does not look like zoe saldana, its a bad photoshop of her face.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 01:38 PM   #43
RAMA
Vice Admiral

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
That's not even close to being true.
I would suggest watching a few behind the scenes featurettes on how they do performance capture for these things and how integral the actor's work is, especially in something like Avatar or the LOTR/Hobbit movies.
My point is, Saldana's performance wasn't critical to the success of the movie, in my opinion. Any half decent actress could have done the same thing she did and the movie still would have been a blockbuster.

Flat out disagree...Zoe Saldana's acting in Avatar got a lot of critical acclaim and it is her best work to date. I think someone has mentioned why Avatar was so ground breaking. It was the actors that did all the acting, it was not animation or kids or body doubles

Here is the proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOHPCI_9-eQ

When the film first came out there were whispers that ZoŽ was going to get a best actress nomination of her role as the Navi Princess but that didnít happen

Such a shame since Kate Winslet got an Oscar nomination for best actress despite her terrible American accent in Titanic.

chris pine and zoe saldana are the biggest stars among the cast. The Academy chose both of them to host the technical Oscars and both were asked to represent Star Trek at the main Oscars.

Why not Chris and Zachary?

Donít get me wrong, Zachary is huge as well and he will always be an icon to many TV fans and geeks because of his role as Sylar on HEROES. However Zachary doesnít seem to have the heartthrob status that Chris Pine has (despite the fact that Zachary is more handsome than Chris).

Paramount does feel that Chris and Zoe are the prettiest and most commercial people among the cast so Paramount has decided to make both of them the face of the new film.

A lot of TOS purist fans have to accept it. This is year 2013, Star Trek canít commercially survive with 3 Men on the poster. you need a woman, you need a woman, You need a woman.

In references to Lord of the Rings, The poster of the Two Towers had Aragon in between Arwen and Ewoyn . Arwen didnít even have up to 10 minutes on screen time and the film was 3 hours long and even worse the love triangle in the Two Towers was secondary to the main plot story.

So, WOMEN MATTER......I just wish they werenít so objectified in Star Trek.
No one recognizes her for her face or voice for Avatar which were both different than what she looks and sounds like in RL. Yes her face was captured and she gave a performance but you won't notice who it is unless you knew it beforehand.

I agree, women should be represented on the poster.

RAMA
Old March 22 2013, 01:40 PM   #44
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
I have got some clarification on the posters. These are not the final one-sheet posters that will be seen in International theaters. They are being described as “a special piece of artwork revealed through the trailer launch”
That's good because it really is a bag of shit.

We fans are so jaded They give us extra artwork they didn't need to, and its a pretty cool kinetic looking one and half the people hate it because it doesn't look like the old style posters. I wish they had made it even MORE different to get you guys riled up.
Old March 22 2013, 01:43 PM   #45
Saul
Rear Admiral

Well they replaced Bones with Uhura in the last poster too. I think it's just movie economics. Girl power and all that bullshit. As Red Letter Media review said, they wouldn't want anyone thinking these characters might be gay.
I think it sucks that Bones isn't on it though but it seems to me that his character won't have as big a role in JJs movies. Which is a damn shame if true because Urban does an awesome Bones.