MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 22 2013, 01:32 AM   #166
Flake
Commodore

Re: New trekID international trailer wed

RAMA wrote: View Post
Exploration: File under beating a dead horse. Most of the exploration was a sidebar to the real Trek stories and sometimes even that was within a parable, so exploration was not the central theme. The movies explored little...Sulu was doing scientific tests on Excelsior (but that wouldn't have excited people as a story), Genesis was explored by Reliant and Grissom (again not the central story), even V'Ger--as alien as it was--went to Earth. Every Trek movie but ONE had scenes on Earth.

RAMA
TMP: Threat to Earth from Massive Energy Cloud, no exploring - Scenes on Earth and in orbit
TWOK: Khan wants revenge, no exploring - Scenes on Earth and in Orbit
TSFS: Kirk goes to find Spocks body, no exploring - Scenes in Orbit of Earth
TVH: Threat to Earth from Whale Probe, no exploring - Most of movie on Earth
TFF: Terrorist attack on Nimbus 3, no exploring - Scenes on Earth and in Orbit
TUC: Federation/Klingon plot to start a war, no exploring - Scenes on Earth and in Orbit
GENS: Mad Man wants to get back to the Nexus, no exploring - Scenes in orbit of Earth (on Earth in Nexus)
FC: Threat to Earth from the Borg, no exploring - Scenes on Earth and in Orbit
INS: Mad Man wants fountain of youth, no exploring - NO EARTH, after 20 years of Trek movies.
NEM: Threat to Earth from Picards evil twin, no exploring - Wedding scene on Earth, Enterprise in drydock in Earth orbit

Last edited by Flake; March 22 2013 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Added Earth scenes!
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 02:22 AM   #167
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

By the way, anyone have a clue who or what the trailer music is from?

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 02:30 AM   #168
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Flake wrote: View Post
Exploration: File under beating a dead horse. Most of the exploration was a sidebar to the real Trek stories and sometimes even that was within a parable, so exploration was not the central theme. The movies explored little...Sulu was doing scientific tests on Excelsior (but that wouldn't have excited people as a story), Genesis was explored by Reliant and Grissom (again not the central story), even V'Ger--as alien as it was--went to Earth. Every Trek movie but ONE had scenes on Earth.

RAMA
TMP: Threat to Earth from Massive Energy Cloud, no exploring - Scenes on Earth and in orbit
TUC: Federation/Klingon plot to start a war, no exploring - Scenes on Earth and in Orbit
GENS: Mad Man wants to get back to the Nexus, no exploring - Scenes in orbit of Earth (on Earth in Nexus)
INS: Mad Man wants fountain of youth, no exploring - NO EARTH, after 20 years of Trek movies.
NEM: Threat to Earth from Picards evil twin, no exploring - Wedding scene on Earth, Enterprise in drydock in Earth orbit
In TMP, the Enterprise explored the surface and interior of V'Ger.

In TWOK, the Reliant explored what they thought was Ceti Alpha Six.

In TSFS, the Grissom explored the Genesis Planet.

In TFF, the Enterprise explored the planet that Sybok believed to be Sha Ka Ree.

In TUC, the Excelsior had just explored Beta Quadrant, cataloging gaseous planetary anomalies.

In INS, the duck blind was studying the Ba'ku, apparently as part of a mission to explore the Briar Patch, which covered their true purpose.

In NEM, Picard and company explored the surface of Kolarus III in a dune buggy.
Old March 22 2013, 02:33 AM   #169
Shilliam Watner
Commander

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post

RAMA

In TFF, the Enterprise explored the planet that Sybok believed to be Sha Ka Ree.

In TUC, the Excelsior had just explored Beta Quadrant, cataloging gaseous planetary anomalies.

In INS, the duck blind was studying the Ba'ku, apparently as part of a mission to explore the Briar Patch, which covered their true purpose.

Great post. You sum up the facts.
Shilliam Watner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 02:48 AM   #170
Agent Richard07
Admiral

That was a great trailer. Loved Cumberbatch and his menacing presence, Alice Eve, the TMP uniforms, Alice Eve, and the scale of it all. I also see that J.J. hasn't given up on the lens flares.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 03:01 AM   #171
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
To answer my own question, just in case anyone is interested, it's titled Requiem of the Gods by Critical Mass.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 03:14 AM   #172
donners22
Commodore

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post
All though...would the reaction be the same if Cumberbatch was shown topless wearing only his briefs? I'm thinking probably "no".
Roughly half the female users of the internet, as well as a few guys, would have exploded if they had. That's probably the reason they're holding off, the internet just can't stand a fangasm of that magnitude.

I think the technical term is 'squirted'...

I'll go in facetiously believing BC is Gary Seven, finally getting his long-awaited spinoff.
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
donners22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 03:33 AM   #173
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

donners22 wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post
All though...would the reaction be the same if Cumberbatch was shown topless wearing only his briefs? I'm thinking probably "no".
Roughly half the female users of the internet, as well as a few guys, would have exploded if they had. That's probably the reason they're holding off, the internet just can't stand a fangasm of that magnitude.

I think the technical term is 'squirted'...
I know what I said and stand by it. Ever see Scanners? Kinda like that, but it doesn't start with the head.
Old March 22 2013, 04:23 AM   #174
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

To answer my own question, just in case anyone is interested, it's titled Requiem of the Gods by Critical Mass.
Alrighty, then.

http://music.selectracks.com/#!details?id=2844701
Old March 22 2013, 04:28 AM   #175
RAMA
Vice Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post

RAMA

STTMP: I didn't say there wasn't exploration of V'Ger but it's not the central theme of the movie, the relationship between Spock and the probe and the man-machine interface was more important. It IS true that this film had the most and purest scientific interest in it.

STII: Reliant was only looking for a place to use Genesis, they didn't WANT to find anything. Again, not the central theme of the movie..

STIII: There was a few min of scanning the planet, but the story was about finding and recovering SPock while the Klingons interrupted. Theme was about friendship and loyalty, not exploration.

STV: Theme was about finding God, no one cared about the planet. No one cared about the movie either.

STVI: Yup mentioned that one, this is not even remotely what the movie was about. The exploration was summed up in one or two lines by Sulu as a throwaway.

INS: The single movie where we don't see Earth. We see some new worlds and do some exploring. It's still not the theme of the movie but there is exploration here.

NEM: Kolarus: They wouldn't have been there without detecting positronic signals. There was no exploration of the planet, just of the signals. BTW, the culture there was pre-warp and they would have broken the prime directive by exploring the planet openly.

STID appears to have the most exploration of any of the movies. Its the first to go to a planet like episodes where they go on a mission.
Old March 22 2013, 05:30 AM   #176
DaveyNY
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DaveyNY Send a message via Yahoo to DaveyNY

Trek has been exploiting beautiful woman since day one and we have Roddenberry to thank for it. Praise the lord. I can safely say of all the images in the trailer the Alice Eve in underwear moment will be the bit Roddenberry would approve of the most.
If he were still around... He'd probably have hit on her.

I wish the hell my abs looked as good as hers...

(or even half as flat... don't get old)
I must go out in2 space again for the call of adventure cries. With a steady hand & robust crew I'll take her forth with pride. I must go out in2 space again to a vagabond Captains life. Where comets play & galaxies sway like whirlwinds in the night.
DaveyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 05:39 AM   #177
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

They shows were never really about exploration. That's just the reason they randomly bumped into plots. It's like saying Doctor Who is about an alien and his companions trying to find a nice quiet place to visit.
Old March 22 2013, 07:35 AM   #178
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

I didn't say
I wasn't replying to you. I was replying to Flake.

I did mention a couple of things you did, but my point was that Flake was wrong. He kept saying "no exploring" over and over. There was in the instances I listed at least some exploration/exploring, contrary to what Flake said after you.

The[] shows were never really about exploration. That's just the reason they randomly bumped into plots. It's like saying Doctor Who is about an alien and his companions trying to find a nice quiet place to visit.
Exactly.
Old March 22 2013, 08:03 AM   #179
Opus
Commodore

Bring Back Nick Meyer!!!!

...No! That would totally suck. LOL!

Bring on the new movie!
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 08:12 AM   #180
Devon
Fleet Captain

OphaClyde wrote: View Post
Bring Back Nick Meyer!!!!

...No! That would totally suck. LOL!

Bring on the new movie!
You scared me for a minute!!!

After digesting it, this seems like this can be extremely good. Orci is into conspiracy theory/government over up type things, and this seems like something he would have enjoy writing about. Granted, we got a little of the government cover-up kind of thing "Insurrection," but that was overshadowed by the fact that it was "Insurrection."

The only critique I have is that the Carol Marcus Underwear thing seems out of place. It's "Trailer... Trailer... Trailer... Almost Nude Woman... Trailer.. Trailer.." I have no problem with the fact that she appears that way in the fil, but I think it just stuck out like a sore thumb in the context of what was a really excellent trailer instead of something more subtle. Of course Alice Eve's physical attributes are not.. um.. subtle.

Pardon my language for a moment, but if anyone says Gene Roddenberry is "rolling in his grave," it is only to make room for the massive hard-on he just got seeing that.