TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Closed Thread

Old March 21 2013, 10:14 PM   #91
Squiggy Claus
Rampant Sexist

View Squiggy Claus's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy Claus
Re: College: Gender Studies (Feminism Discussion)

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
Since I'm not going to sit through 35 minutes of something that is possibly retarded...how about your sum it up?
Old March 21 2013, 10:19 PM   #92
Wintertainment
Fleet Captain

i can't be arsed to watch that either, wasted too much time with crazy blog links earlier on.

this thread made me a feminist

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Old March 21 2013, 10:32 PM   #93
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

You can post lots of links to utter shite, you proved that in your first couple of posts on this thread - we all get it.
Old March 21 2013, 10:34 PM   #94
lurok
Commodore

Superb post, Kestra
Old March 21 2013, 10:59 PM   #95
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Feminism is about the social, intellectual, sexual and financial equality of women. That's all it is. It has existed for centuries and will continue to exist until the problem is solved. The mistake that DN has made (as TheGodBen and a couple of others have pointed out) is equating contemporary fringe and extremist movements with real Feminism. We all know that in politics words don't mean the same things as in real life-- just because somebody calls herself (or himself) something doesn't mean it's true (after all, skinheads call themselves patriots, right?). And while it's true a lot of these extremist ideologies do make their way into academia, that doesn't change the fundamental principles of Humanism. I know that junxon and some others have become upset with what has been posted here, but I don't believe for a second that DN considers women to be inferior to men. I do think that he has been caught up in the ideological shoving match that has led to this age of extremism that we live in.

On another note, I find it strange that not a single person has called out the OP on being an admitted "misandrist" who is delighted to be in a college course with a bunch of "like-minded people." DN is correct in that it does go both ways.
Old March 21 2013, 11:08 PM   #96
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
On another note, I find it strange that not a single person has called out the OP on being an admitted "misandrist" who is delighted to be in a college course with a bunch of "like-minded people." DN is correct in that it does go both ways.
Yeah, it's really strange that no one called out the OP for that thing he didn't say.

Read it again:

hxclespaulplayer wrote: View Post
Anyway, what are your opinions of the usefulness of a degree in Gender Studies, career-wise? I've been told many things, namely that it's useless, I'm gay, (two guys and thirty girls in the lectures) a misandrist, etc etc, but I've never before been in a room with so many like-minded people in my life, it's liberating.
He said he's been called a misandrist by others when he tells people he's taking a gender studies course. He then goes on to say with a separate thought how he finds it liberating to be in a class with so many like-minded people. At no time did he admit to being a misandrist himself.
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
Old March 21 2013, 11:33 PM   #97
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Anyone who thinks that women are over-reactive to their position in society and are still needlessly angry at men obviously didn't pay much attention to last year's political landscape where women's reproductive rights were constantly an issue challenged by a certain political group. A welcomed moth-piece of which made very offensive comments about a young woman in the battle for women getting fair treatment when it comes to their medical needs. Oh, and women are still universally paid less than men for the same job and still in many cases pay more for goods and service than men, not to mention are still taken advantage of in business transactions. And a news organization recently expressed feelings towards men convicted of raping a woman, saying how the young men's lives were now ruined over the encounter.

Yeah, women are in such a high position in society right now and have nothing to complain about.
Old March 22 2013, 12:03 AM   #98
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Yeah, it's really strange that no one called out the OP for that thing he didn't say.

Read it again:

hxclespaulplayer wrote: View Post
Anyway, what are your opinions of the usefulness of a degree in Gender Studies, career-wise? I've been told many things, namely that it's useless, I'm gay, (two guys and thirty girls in the lectures) a misandrist, etc etc, but I've never before been in a room with so many like-minded people in my life, it's liberating.
He said he's been called a misandrist by others when he tells people he's taking a gender studies course. He then goes on to say with a separate thought how he finds it liberating to be in a class with so many like-minded people. At no time did he admit to being a misandrist himself.
You're right, I completely misread that. My bad.
Old March 22 2013, 12:44 AM   #99
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

lurok wrote: View Post
Superb post, Kestra
Yeah. TheGodBen too.

DN, I don't think I've really had much direct interaction with you, but I've always thought of you as being intelligent, considerate and sensitive. Sometimes prone to walls of text, but always sincere and kindhearted. I've been completely shocked and dismayed by the sort of vitriol you've shown in this thread, and I don't know how to square that with my previous image of you. I don't know where this has come from, but considering the many people expressing similar sentiments to mine here, I wish you'd reconsider what you're saying.

You've burned a lot of bridges here just in one thread, but maybe some one-to-one conversation with somebody once you're cooled down might help? Or take Kes' and Locutus' offer up and try to at least word your opinions yourself to start an actual conversation?

Last edited by Kestrel; March 22 2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old March 22 2013, 12:54 AM   #100
Shanndee
Commodore

Well said, Kestrel.

Deranged Nasat, I didn't expect you to respond to my post since we have never really interacted before. However, seeing as so many of your friends have agreed with my post, I really hope that you reconsider the things you are saying (or rather, NOT saying).

I think an actual conversation about this may be important.

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Old March 22 2013, 02:29 AM   #101
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

I see many comments saying things along the lines of "I always thought of you as one of the most insightful, intelligent, well-meaning posters..." I appreciate that. Have you considered, though, that I'm still that same supposedly insightful, intelligent and well-meaning person (as opposed to, say, a raging misogynist) and that your difficulties reconciling your earlier idea of me with my supposed bigotry and logical errors is that I'm not bigoted and did not make logical errors? That the problem is your own perception of these issues - the very misconceptions I was trying to warn against and challenge when I posted the original links to someone about to potentially dive into the lies.

The videos of GirlWritesWhat are a far better introduction and explanation than any I can attempt here.

But if you'd rather ignore them, dismiss them and write me off as a misogynist and bigot due to my opposition to the ideology of feminism...then you are in error.
Old March 22 2013, 02:46 AM   #102
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Have you considered, though, that I'm still that same supposedly insightful, intelligent and well-meaning person (as opposed to, say, a raging misogynist) and that your difficulties reconciling your earlier idea of me with my supposed bigotry and logical errors is that I'm not bigoted and did not make logical errors?
The thought never crossed my mind.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Old March 22 2013, 02:47 AM   #103
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

I'm sure a guy can hold down a 9-5 job, be faithful to his wife, kiss his kids goodnight, pay his bills on time, help his elderly neighbor carry in her groceries, be well-liked by his friends and peers, and still go to KKK rallies on the weekends.
Old March 22 2013, 03:10 AM   #104
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

I'm not going to post a gazillion links like DN but it seems my attention span deficits have meant I've never noticed that DN has been going on like this since 2009, just with less overt hostility (most of the time). Guess I should have paid more attention to the text walls. A search for posts by him with 'feminist' and/or 'feminism' in them turns up some disturbing stuff.

I'll just post two:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...24&postcount=9

Truly disturbing ranting about how men are equally victims of domestic violence. The whole thread is an eye opener, climaxing in the big apology which really from my reading says "I am ashamed I said stuff that people don't like". Which apparently he has now gotten over. Really has nothing to do with the opinions though.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...9&postcount=52

Much more in depth revealing of how his marginalization in childhood led him to these views, plus lots more of the views themselves.

I'm posting this because.. I've realized that my assumption that this was all tied into DN having a particularly bad time and snapping is wrong. Apparently he's always been like this.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old March 22 2013, 03:33 AM   #105
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I see many comments saying things along the lines of "I always thought of you as one of the most insightful, intelligent, well-meaning posters..." I appreciate that. Have you considered, though, that I'm still that same supposedly insightful, intelligent and well-meaning person (as opposed to, say, a raging misogynist) and that your difficulties reconciling your earlier idea of me with my supposed bigotry and logical errors is that I'm not bigoted and did not make logical errors? That the problem is your own perception of these issues - the very misconceptions I was trying to warn against and challenge when I posted the original links to someone about to potentially dive into the lies.
Because what you said was so ridiculous that no matter how much good will you've built up, no one is going to buy it. It'd be like if a poster who is beloved here started saying, "No, guys, the Holocaust wasn't really that bad." It doesn't matter how well liked they are; what they are staying is bullshit.