Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 21 2013, 10:53 PM   #151
marksound
Fleet Captain

Re: New trekID international trailer wed

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
King Daniel wrote: View Post
If the entire leadership is getting cut down, you know what that means? Kirk's gonna be running Starfleet by the end!
It's good to be the Kirk.
Bingo.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 10:54 PM   #152
indranee
Vice Admiral

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
indranee wrote: View Post
Exactly. She may be sexy in the movie but the dick move that put her in the trailer in precisely that frame was sexist.

But, hey, this is Trek. Nothing new there.
I don't even think it's that bad (if at all) as a trailer shot. It's just sort of there and gone. Yeah, it's a bit of fan-service, but I don't think it was particular degrading or hurtful to the character.
That's because CM is not a character that's a bimbo-alternative anyway. We all know who Carol Marcus is and that she's far from being just decorative.

It's just the way it was done in the trailer. Hey, I don't mind because I've been around for a while (Trek). But all of my Sherlock/Benedict-fan girlfriends are throwing a fit left, right, and center right now.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 10:59 PM   #153
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I like good-looking girls wearing as little as possible, so this trailer makes me very happy for the future of Star Trek.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 11:02 PM   #154
Blue_Trek
Captain

Awesome trailer gives us more about the plot, a former confederation Star Trek Terrorist seeking revenge for something, I wonder what it was.

As for the millisecond shot of Alice Eve in her undies......

If your a guy who is not a Star Trek fan and you see this trailer, it is part of an overall variable of the mental conclusion drawn at the end, hmmm, this movie looks good, might have to go see it. Mission accomplished. For Star Trek fans that don't see this, remember this movie is trying to bring in as many people as possible, not just us.

And I find it utterly hilarious, for people to say Star Trek needs to grow out of it's eye candy shots. I always enjoyed them. It is part of Star Trek's cultural heritage as many posters have posted old pictures of, some newer ones too.
Sure it's a bit gratuitous in the trailer, but we all know that panders to a certain segment of the audience. And if anything it gets more people talking about the movie, if it is dominating our discussion, you can be sure it is in other conversations as well.
Old March 21 2013, 11:14 PM   #155
Flake
Commodore

Trek has been exploiting beautiful woman since day one and we have Roddenberry to thank for it. Praise the lord. I can safely say of all the images in the trailer the Alice Eve in underwear moment will be the bit Roddenberry would approve of the most.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 11:16 PM   #156
SeerSGB
Admiral

Exactly. She may be sexy in the movie but the dick move that put her in the trailer in precisely that frame was sexist.

But, hey, this is Trek. Nothing new there.
I don't even think it's that bad (if at all) as a trailer shot. It's just sort of there and gone. Yeah, it's a bit of fan-service, but I don't think it was particular degrading or hurtful to the character.
That's because CM is not a character that's a bimbo-alternative anyway. We all know who Carol Marcus is and that she's far from being just decorative.

It's just the way it was done in the trailer. Hey, I don't mind because I've been around for a while (Trek). But all of my Sherlock/Benedict-fan girlfriends are throwing a fit left, right, and center right now.
Meh, just give 'em som Quinto/Cumberbatch slash-fic to hold them over till the movie drops.

All though...would the reaction be the same if Cumberbatch was shown topless wearing only his briefs? I'm thinking probably "no".
Old March 21 2013, 11:24 PM   #157
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

All though...would the reaction be the same if Cumberbatch was shown topless wearing only his briefs? I'm thinking probably "no".
Roughly half the female users of the internet, as well as a few guys, would have exploded if they had. That's probably the reason they're holding off, the internet just can't stand a fangasm of that magnitude.
Old March 21 2013, 11:36 PM   #158
Stegoman05
Lieutenant

This trailer is awesome best one yet! I tried avoiding the forums but I cant help it. Every time there is something new i have to come here to see what other people think.
Stegoman05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 11:54 PM   #159
indranee
Vice Admiral

Meh, just give 'em som Quinto/Cumberbatch slash-fic to hold them over till the movie drops.

OMG ARE YOU KIDDING?!

They would love it!

At least, as much as I loved the scene in 2009 JJTrek with Jim Kirk in his undies
Old March 21 2013, 11:57 PM   #160
indranee
Vice Admiral

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
Roughly half the female users of the internet, as well as a few guys, would have exploded if they had. That's probably the reason they're holding off, the internet just can't stand a fangasm of that magnitude.
It's the reason I think why most of his fans (who've never even read Frankenstein) went to either the play or the NTLive cast of the play. Cumberbatch appears in the nude in it for a considerable period of time.
Old March 22 2013, 12:03 AM   #161
Flake
Commodore

Pretty sure the Spock jump buildings have changed AGAIN

How many times they gonna render that jump?

'Hey, JJ, we just spent 5 days rendering this new Spock jump at a cost of 300,000 dollars. Do you like it?'

'No, Sorry, I hate that building on the far left, do it again! Oh and add more flares!'
Old March 22 2013, 12:17 AM   #162
RAMA
Vice Admiral

This trailer is really action packed, but there's a Nolanesque vibe going through the whole thing and that's probably good. I bet there are theater goers saying "this is star trek"?

Did you ever think you'd see such a fully realized, solid, believable world like this in a Trek movie? Love the shot with Kirk looking out on the Klingon horizon.

This may be the first trek movie since I was kid that I only know half the story to. I guess that's what they wanted and it's probably a good thing too.

For the traditional Trek fundamentalists...yes it doesn't look like Trek, but what does that mean really? Its a different "regime" it SHOULD be different, I don't understand the fuss...if they had made it exactly like the old movie series, then they'd say it wasn't original.

Exploration: File under beating a dead horse. Most of the exploration was a sidebar to the real Trek stories and sometimes even that was within a parable, so exploration was not the central theme. The movies explored little...Sulu was doing scientific tests on Excelsior (but that wouldn't have excited people as a story), Genesis was explored by Reliant and Grissom (again not the central story), even V'Ger--as alien as it was--went to Earth. Every Trek movie but ONE had scenes on Earth.

RAMA
Old March 22 2013, 01:26 AM   #163
Worf2DS9
Writer

This was a pretty wicked trailer! Can't wait for May!! (And I still think it's weird that the Enterprise doesn't have identifying markings on the underside of the saucer like past Enterprises have. It just looks unfinished to me.)
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 01:28 AM   #164
Flake
Commodore

Well I would imagine that in 1979 (Long before I was thought of) some people would look in amazement at TMP and the trailers for TMP and think it looks nothing like Star Trek up to that point. Same applies here imo. Both are still Star Trek.

People would've complained about TNG as well in 1987 thats its nothing like TOS.

Some people don't like change!
Old March 22 2013, 01:31 AM   #165
Andymator
Lieutenant Commander

Man, it's going to be so much fun watching a new Star Trek movie in the theatre again! Hope the time flies by!
Andymator is offline   Reply With Quote