Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old March 12 2013, 06:53 AM   #16
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Gods created Man, Man created the Cylons.

theenglish wrote: View Post
The ending would have fit a little more nicely if Adama ordered all tech destroyed and they arrived on earth just a few thousand years ago. This would have played into the "it all happens" again theme.

Basically, a sentient life form gains enough knowledge to create AI and eventually wipes itself out only to have the same thing happen to the next generation of sentient life forms. Is this what you mean by Gen 1, Gen 2, etc?
The gods (generation one) made man (generation 2) who then made the cylons (generation 3) who then made the skin jobs (generation 4) who then interbred with generation 2 to make the Hera, Nicki and the Teranians (generation 5) who 2 hundred and 50 thousand years later are on the verge of creating NeoCylons (generation 6.).

The primates running about on Earth quarter of a million years ago might have raped their way through the Galacticans once their technology started failing, but I doubt the galacticans would have chosen to interbreed with monkeys... So it's a loaded question to ask about the missing link if the true men native of Earth died out and were replaced by aliens, or only MOSTLY replaced by aliens if there were a small number of sexual cross overs resulting in child birth and some of their monkey dna got through to modern times.

Of course just because the Galacticans wouldn't boff the monkeys it doesn't mean that the Cylons wouldn't. More so that the Cylons owed the refugees of the twelve colonies a new home world on which they could frakk, and quite frankly a hundred years later withe the grandchildren or great grandchildren of sdo many Cylon/monkey orgies continuously filtering and upgrading Monkey DNA through the reproductive facilities of the cylons, these grandshildren might actually be frakkable to the Galactican's lilly sentiments, so that after all that waiting for a good lay, it might actually be possible to have enough genetic diversity to maintain a growing culture without massive mutation and deformity from inbreeding. It's then that you have to ask yourself isn't it amazing how the Cylons can breed so eaily with the Terran monkeys but fail continuously to make babies with Galacticans, and themselves each other, as if it has always been monkeys they were supposed to frakk and never humans becuase this has always been Gods plan for them?

It's really a question of if the gods of kobol evolved on Kobol, or if they were a machine intellect created by another species that had run through it's life expectancy earlier. I see that the three prime reasons to invent skin job technology are... Immortality (any damage/disease to the body is covered by immortality), vanity and/or interplanetary travel. If it's 3 hundred years between stars, no form of stasis or cold storage is going to keep "people" fresh for revivification... Which means certainly that if the Gods of Kobol did not evolve on Kobol, if Kobol is not their home planet, and they did not have FTL technology then the first Gods on Kobol had to have been Cylons riving from extended boxing/storage from after a vast interstellar flight.

There's a Generation Zero that we know nothing about.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz

Last edited by Guy Gardener; March 12 2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old March 13 2013, 05:11 AM   #17
theenglish
Rear Admiral

The Gods of Kobol I think were just intended to be a previous generation of sentient beings who probably had their own previous gods. The story just keeps repeating itself, as it has been repeating before. As for the group on earth, I just kind of figured that they existed side by side with homo-whatever for generations until the two groups just intermingled. But I think you have put way more thought into this than the writers ever did.
Old March 13 2013, 05:21 AM   #18
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I'm amazed that half a second of revelation turned into about two typed pages (double space, single sheet.) of writing to articulate.

CAVIL WAS RIGHT!!

One thing I noticed last night, the Final Five used relativistic flight to get to the colonies, so they could have been awake for the whole trip to Colony Space, or been in stasis for a for just a couple years depending on how close to light speed they could achieve and sustain, or how long it takes them to accelerate to (almost) light speed... Which kinda makes my thoughts on resurrection as stasis a little less certain.

Last edited by Guy Gardener; March 13 2013 at 05:32 AM.
Old March 13 2013, 10:55 AM   #19
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Surely a cylon doesn't need stasis?
Old March 13 2013, 11:08 AM   #20
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Centurians no.

Skinjobs yes.

(Paraphrasing)

Adama "Cylons don't age! I knew you when you had hair!"

Salty "Well I'm a different kind of Cylon, one that we've never seen before."

That accounts for the final 5.

Meanwhile we saw considerably younger versions of some of the first 7 in the Razor Flashbacks.

Of course if they could accelerate to actual light speed immediately, and not a decent fraction of light speed slowly... The trip from Earth to Colony space would "seem" to take seconds, but that's not taking into account kinetic strikes on the ship, from hitting two thousand years worth of space dust and space pebbles all at once during those couple seconds, that it would be sane if they would stop now and then to make sure that they're not going to plough into anything like a planet or nebula either... Or alternatively plot a super weird course that takes them off the galactic plane mostly.

Last edited by Guy Gardener; March 13 2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old March 13 2013, 11:40 AM   #21
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

No I mean they can regenerate when they need to.
Old March 13 2013, 01:26 PM   #22
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

We are talking about the Final Five immediately after the fall of Earth, two thousand years before they met the Colonial Cylons... They can't do shit. Sure they resurrected once, but the factories to build more bodies are on Earth and they've been nuked.

"When they need to" as an alternative to death or old age, because that's exactly what will happen if it takes longer than three days to get to Caprica from Earth if they didn't load their ship with the food, water and resources to make a transgalactic voyage if they have the storage bays to hold all that.

Sure they can keep trading through to new bodies to stay young and gorgeous while continuing to man the helm for a 30 year trip from planet A to planet B, but why would they want to?

They do have that projecting thing, but 30 years in a tiny box is boring and going to drive them spacecrazy.

Then there's the resources and power requirements to keep a skin Job awake walking around in that tiny box of a ship which increases the pay load which increases the fuel reserve, both of which probably increase the size of the engine which again increases the fuel reserve.

Unless you mean that they can force ageing process to reverse by "regeneration", I'm not sure what you mean that I do not mean at all. When I begun this I was saying "resurrection as an alternative to stasis" which began to become a bit of a mouthful very quickly.... They upload into a hard drive from a body that has nothing wrong with it, which is probably going to die immediately because there's no brain processing it's functions, then their mind "sleeps" in storage for 30 years, and then they download into fresh new bodies, when they have reached their destination after x amount of time.

No ftl, and we don't know enough about their relativistic engines to know how long a trip from Earth to Caprica would take, and even if it was just 2 weeks from the final fives perspective... That's a lot of food, air and water for 5 people unless they resurrect every time they get hungry, but really packing a couple boxes of corn flakes has to be easier than yet more skinjob replacement bodies to deal with all the many possibly terminal eventualities if they chose to stay awake rather than boxing themselves.

Old March 14 2013, 12:31 AM   #23
tighr
Commodore

The Evil Dead wrote: View Post
In my head God in the world of Battlestar Galactica was a Cylon created by a civilization predating even Kobol who had evolved beyond corporeal form.
Maybe like some kind of ancient race of lizard people?
Old March 14 2013, 02:40 AM   #24
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Yeah, the big problem with the theory is that BSG was, at best, the second go-round of the phenomenon, and heavily implied that it's been going on and on for some time. That would mean the humans of BSG and Caprica were, again at best, ''4th generation cylons'' going by your logic. And that completely negates Zoey as God. Unless you assume Caprica was a really, really early prequel measured in thousands of years, and all the familiar names and places were just a massive coincidence.
The Titans were forceably replaced by the Gods in myth.

In the "Coming next fall on Caprica" widget, Sister Clarice was preaching from a pulpit to Cylons on pews... Wherever they got the idea for their One true God, the second they decided to invent silicone Heaven the movement was on their way to reinventing God by some means to factor into controlling the Cylon.

Besides God was just invented to make money for skeevy individuals in the real world, so why not BSG?

Old March 14 2013, 02:46 AM   #25
Wereghost
Someone's dog

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Google says "It" but I was sure it was a "she" as of 12 seconds ago, which is why I assumed for the last couple years that Zoe was God.
But she wasn't, or at least not exactly. There was a flashback scene in Caprica where she receives the idea for the first cylon from her imaginary friend, a Head Zoe.

I think we can call her Noah. Or possibly Enoch.

Re. the monotheism thing, it's been hinted once or twice that the BSGod a a renegade from a pantheon of gods who wanted to set itself apart from and above the others. Roslin's gal pal Elosha mentions this at some point and Head Six pooh-poohs it, calling it blasphemy. Possibly in a deleted scene.
The Final Five comic book goes with the twelve Lords Of Kobol idea.
Old March 16 2013, 05:26 AM   #26
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Based on everything that we know from BSG canon, the Gods of Kobol are and were sentient beings analogous to the Greek and Roman Gods. They created Man, but evicted their creation from the Paradise of Kobol after baser instincts led to abominable acts such as human sacrifice and arrogance led to Man 'playing God' by creating life in the form of the original Cylons (the 13th Tribe). We know that the 13th Tribe left Kobol about 2,000 years before their own creators were evicted by the Gods of Kobol.

When it comes to the identity of the Cylon God, Caprica shows us that Zoe, Clarice, and others clearly inspired the Colonial Cylons' monotheistic beliefs, but that there was also an external 'higher power' influencing things as well (the entity who sent the 'Head Angels' to Zoe, Caprica Six, and Baltar). This entity was most likely a Kobolian God, but we're never told why this entity was meddling in things or what their motivation for doing so might've been.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
Old March 16 2013, 07:53 PM   #27
publiusr
Commodore

For awhile, I thought that each cylon warrior thought itself Zoey--all those girls dead in battle.

The Evil Dead wrote: View Post

Cavil says "I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to — I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more, I could experience so much more, but I’m trapped in this absurd body."

God was a Cylon that achieved Cavil's dream.
I pumped my fist in the air when I head Cavil's speech--my thoughts exactly...

Now to me, Caprica recovered, and the nuked Earth did to to become Terra from the Eastern Alliance--leading up to the original BSG, which really should have made it to Earth during Gill Gerard's Buck Rogers, with the Directorate defeating the alien cylons.
Old March 21 2013, 08:19 PM   #28
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
Based on everything that we know from BSG canon, the Gods of Kobol are and were sentient beings analogous to the Greek and Roman Gods. They created Man, but evicted their creation from the Paradise of Kobol after baser instincts led to abominable acts such as human sacrifice and arrogance led to Man 'playing God' by creating life in the form of the original Cylons (the 13th Tribe). We know that the 13th Tribe left Kobol about 2,000 years before their own creators were evicted by the Gods of Kobol.

When it comes to the identity of the Cylon God, Caprica shows us that Zoe, Clarice, and others clearly inspired the Colonial Cylons' monotheistic beliefs, but that there was also an external 'higher power' influencing things as well (the entity who sent the 'Head Angels' to Zoe, Caprica Six, and Baltar). This entity was most likely a Kobolian God, but we're never told why this entity was meddling in things or what their motivation for doing so might've been.
I can't remember if it was a deleted scene or not, but I vaguely remember that while on Kobol there was some discussion that the 13th tribe worshiped another god than the pantheon that the other 12 worshiped. That's why they went their separate ways. I also think that Ellen mentioned that the Colonial Cylons were already worshiping their god when they arrived at the end of the war, that's why they wanted skinjobs in the first place. It could be that whatever God is was also sending angels to them wanting them to create skinjobs. We know that Zoe was seeing one and Zoe-A saw one as well. While this eventually lead to the end of the cycle, it did directly lead to the creation of Colonial Cylons in the first place and repeat of the cycle.