Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old March 18 2013, 01:44 PM   #361
Fer
Commander

Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

Finished "Logopolis" the other day. Farewell, Tom.
Old March 18 2013, 01:50 PM   #362
Starkers
Admiral

It's ok, the moment has been prepared for

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 02:46 PM   #363
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Finished Dragonfire, Farewell Mel (And good riddance to ya). Though, I think I'm becoming immuned to her, I barely wanted to scream at all this run

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 03:12 PM   #364
Starkers
Admiral

You have to love the Doctor leaving her with a man who'll likely sell her to slavers within about a week!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 03:25 PM   #365
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
You have to love the Doctor leaving her with a man who'll likely sell her to slavers within about a week!
He's not stupid, he saw his chance and jumped on it

And the Audios didn't treat her even worse in the Unbound story with the Valleyard

Old March 19 2013, 12:38 AM   #366
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Finished The Ark in Space. This was a great story. I don't care about bad effects in TV shows/movies if the story is good, and this was good. The characters were good, and of course the Doctor continues to be great. I'd say that I'm officially a fan of the Fourth Doctor now. I'll probably just keep going through his serials in order until I'm done. Next up is The Sontaran Experiment, then Genesis of the Daleks)
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 01:15 AM   #367
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic

I just finished Castrovalva, and Four to doomsday, and Im in the middle of Kinda.
Old March 19 2013, 03:25 AM   #368
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

I got The Ark in Space SE and Revenge of the Cybermen the other day, so I finally have a full season of the classic series! (Yes, I'm a bit behind in my collecting. )

So with that, I'm going to go through Season 12 in order. Just watched Robot. I love Tom's first couple of scenes (especially when he's jumping rope with Harry). The whole story is quite good, especially for Sarah, at least until the last 10 minutes. The giant robot really sent it into over-the-top silliness.
Kira: That's the thing about faith. If you don't have it, you can't understand it and if you do, no explanation is necessary.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 03:31 AM   #369
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Finished The Ark in Space. This was a great story. I don't care about bad effects in TV shows/movies if the story is good, and this was good. The characters were good, and of course the Doctor continues to be great. I'd say that I'm officially a fan of the Fourth Doctor now. I'll probably just keep going through his serials in order until I'm done. Next up is The Sontaran Experiment, then Genesis of the Daleks)
Genesis of the Daleks is often voted up near the very best of Classic Who by fans (though most of sarahJane's Stories are top notch, IMHO).

If you watch NuWho, Genesis of the Daleks has been unofficially dubbed as the first strike in the Time War.

Old March 19 2013, 03:57 AM   #370
diankra
Commodore

That was the season that got me hooked, and it's immensely heart-warming to hear it still works for someone (I guess) both younger and older than myself - in that I turned eight halfway through Sontaran Experiment.
As Sindatur says, Genesis is... well, even people who can't stomach the mid-70s production values still tend to like Genesis. As you can, the only danger is that we'll overhype it for you!
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 05:50 PM   #371
Lowdarzz
Captain

The Reign of Terror (First Doctor).

I've always liked the Hartnell era historical serials and this one continues the tradition though The Romans and The Aztecs were better. Like most six part stories from the 60's, it tends to drag in the middle before picking up in the end. The animation for episodes 4 and 5 ranged from good to mediocre. Some of the character models were excellent, other were poor and the animation was stilted here and there.

I think the simpler character models in The Invasion worked better. True, the animation could be just as stilted but it didn't take me out of the show as much.

Mawdryn Undead, Terminus and Enlightenment (Fifth Doctor).

Although known as the Black Guardian trilogy, the guardian had little to nothing to do in these three serials. That said, I enjoyed each story with Enlightenment taking the prize as the best of the lot.

It was good to see the Brig in action again but I think he was underutilized. It was also odd to see him retired despite the fact that he appears to have been re-activated in Modern Who.

Terminus was probably the least of the three but still had a good story. The fact that Terminus caused the Big Bang is something that could have been explored more. Right now, it just feels as though it were dropped in. At least Nyssa was given a decent reason for leaving thought I wish she had stuck around.

Enlightenment actually gave Turlough something to do besides look like an idiot while failing to kill the Doctor. The Eternals are an interesting concept that I'd like to see again. Then again, I wouldn't mind seeing the White and Black Guardians again either.
Lowdarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 06:12 PM   #372
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Finished The Sontaran Experiment. It was a good two part story, and it introduced me to the Sontarans. The Sontarans kind of remind me of the Vogons from the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy 6 episode series from the 80's (not really the way they act, but their appearance). Next up, Genesis of the Daleks.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 08:35 PM   #373
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Finished The Sontaran Experiment. It was a good two part story, and it introduced me to the Sontarans. The Sontarans kind of remind me of the Vogons from the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy 6 episode series from the 80's (not really the way they act, but their appearance). Next up, Genesis of the Daleks.
Sontaran Experiment is a good Sontaran Story, IMHO. SarahJane's first story (Last season of the Previous Doctor Jon Pertwee) is the first Sontaran story, so, Sontaran Experiment was only their second appearance. Their heads look different in just about every story, I believe.

Old March 21 2013, 09:07 PM   #374
diankra
Commodore

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Their heads look different in just about every story, I believe.
Yep. Best explained by saying that, while they're a clone species, each 'regiment' was cloned from a different original, pre-cloning Sontaran. Their equivalents of Ike, Monty, Storming Norman, etc, probably.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 09:18 PM   #375
Davros
Fleet Admiral

I watched what turned me into a Whovian in the first place.
Genesis Of The Daleks