DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I have that old 90's series. Not very good as I recall since they were all clones of the original Wanderers except upgraded to internalize their powers. Kind of what they did to Flashs Rogues only twenty years earlier.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I have the entire run of it as well.

3. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I used to have it as well.

Hold on to them, boys. Now that Morrison's working his "magics" on them, the back issue prices will surely skyrocket.

4. Trekker4747

I just still can't believe "I want one of our characters to rape a dinosaur" made it past the pitch meeting.

5. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

It was the 90's in a series only 4 of us picked up so they did not care what happened in the book.

6. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aviax's dino-rape may have made them radiation resistant. It was a selfless crime.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

8. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Meh, never been a fan of John. He's the Lantern with the least personality. If this is true, and the new creative team follows through, I won't be too broken up.

9. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

"So comics sales aren't what they used to be. We need to start branching out and reaching new readers."

"Exactly. Comics are still seen as not quite diverse enough."

"There's only one solution. Kill off one of the most prominent characters of color in the DCU."

"OUTSTANDING IDEA."

10. Admiral_Young

Still though, that's pretty cool if he departed the book because he didn't agree with that decision. I became a fan of John through "Justice League" and "Justice League Unlimited".

It also looks like I won't be reading any of the GL books any time soon. You'd think they put some marquee creative teams on those books, but I guess they don't really have anyone right now.

11. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been a fan of John Stewart since Cosmic Odyssey when his hubris led to the death of an entire planet. Early 90s John Stewart was a pretty compelling character when he was working through the repercussions of his arrogance.

12. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Kill John Stewart? Hell, no. He's way more interesting than Jordan. GL: Mosaic was one of the best comics of the 90s.

13. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But now they have another black Green Lantern. And he's also a Muslim. And he carries a pistol along with a power ring and wears what looks like a ski mask. So it's all good. :rolleyes:

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

They can't kill Stewart!!! Who will host the Daily Show then?!?!

But seriously, they can't kill one of their very few high profile minority characters. Not cool.

15. Trekker4747

Well, there's a LOT we'd have to accept for that to be true. First, we have to accept that his liaison with the dinosaur made it pregnant. Second, we'd have to assume that the encounter successfully gave the offspring his radiation immunity. Then we have to accept that this one, lone, radiation-immune dinosaur was enough to ensure the survival of the species.

16. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I really became a big John Stewart fan during his solo series Mosaic in the 90's and then his turn in the late 90's in the JLU was great main stream exposure.

Kill John Stewart....bad idea, just horrid.

17. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

QFT. A whole generation of potential comics readers know John as their first Green Lantern.

18. Admiral_Young

He's my second GL, but quickly became my favourite :) I wonder if this will create another backlash that will force them to pull the plug on this idea?

19. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Yeah, John was great in the 90s, but he's barely done a thing besides killing Mogo in twenty years. I'm not saying I want him killed off, quite the contrary. However, I don't think I would get so up in arms over it if they did. What I would really like is if they actually gave him some good stories again. GLC has been Guy's book. As much as I love Guy (he's my favorite Green Lantern) I really do want to see the rest of the Corps, John included, get some more time.

20. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anyone want to take bets on when WB decides to say "fuck it" and just turns the publishing line over to Nolan as well?