Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old March 21 2013, 03:25 PM   #121
Use of Time
Commodore

Re: NFL 2013 Off-Season Discussion

The Giants and Cowboys played last year on Wednesday due to the political speeches. They can move the game to Wednesday. The holiday is a flimsy excuse. People will show up to watch the Patriots and Ravens.
Old March 21 2013, 04:03 PM   #122
Yoda
Rear Admiral

I have to imagine that the number of people who won't attend a game on Thanksgiving or Christmas dwarfs the number of people that won't show on Rosh Hashanah... I mean really? Are there going to be empty seats in the home opener of the Super Bowl champs because Baltimore Jews aren't showing up? That just doesn't seem likely to me.
Old March 21 2013, 04:25 PM   #123
Use of Time
Commodore

That's pretty much my take and I'm also laughing at how much of an awesome "tradition" this game is considering they already broke tradition last year to move the game. All in all its not a big deal to me considering I will watch the Ravens game anyway. It would be nice to see baseball stand up for themselves to the big dick swinging NFL. The baseball season was set 6 to 7 months ago. It wouldn't be crazy to think that they could still be involved in meaningful baseball games in September. Meh.
Old March 21 2013, 05:08 PM   #124
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Plus, Detroit manages to have games at Ford Field and Comerica Park simultaneously, and they have even less parking than Baltimore's stadia do.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old March 21 2013, 07:00 PM   #125
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Wait, isn't Detroit just one big abandoned parking lot at this point?
Old March 21 2013, 09:17 PM   #126
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

^ The Tigers still draw decent crowds, don't know about the Lions.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old March 21 2013, 11:55 PM   #127
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Plus, Detroit manages to have games at Ford Field and Comerica Park simultaneously, and they have even less parking than Baltimore's stadia do.
It's not the parking lots, even though that is a huge issue. Camden Yards and M&T Bank Stadium share infrastructure, such as electricity and water. You can't run both stadiums at full power at the same time, the capacity to do so simply isn't there.
Old March 22 2013, 12:11 AM   #128
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Yoda wrote: View Post
I have to imagine that the number of people who won't attend a game on Thanksgiving or Christmas dwarfs the number of people that won't show on Rosh Hashanah... I mean really? Are there going to be empty seats in the home opener of the Super Bowl champs because Baltimore Jews aren't showing up? That just doesn't seem likely to me.
Thanksgiving isn't a religious holiday (in fact, for many people, their Thanksgiving tradition is football). Christmas is closer, but most people don't consider Christmas to be a day of religious worship either. Easter would be a better example if one wants to at least start with an appropriate analogy.

Anyway, leaving aside issues of whether or not it's tradition, how about just understanding your customers? The city of Baltimore, without a doubt, wants the opportunity to defend their championship starting at home with the first game of the year. The Orioles either don't understand that or, more likely, simply don't care. I would argue that the majority of Orioles fans are Ravens fans who would want the game moved. I would also argue that quite a few Ravens fans are not Orioles fans partly because the owners keep doing shit like this.
Old March 22 2013, 12:55 AM   #129
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
Camden Yards and M&T Bank Stadium share infrastructure, such as electricity and water. You can't run both stadiums at full power at the same time, the capacity to do so simply isn't there.
I see. I wonder why this is the case in Baltimore but not Detroit. (I'm seriously not trying to be difficult, I actually am curious about this, now that it's been brought up.)
Old March 22 2013, 02:02 AM   #130
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I see. I wonder why this is the case in Baltimore but not Detroit. (I'm seriously not trying to be difficult, I actually am curious about this, now that it's been brought up.)
Comerica Park was always intended to be a neighbor to Ford Field. Ground didn't break on M&T Bank Stadium until 1996, and it was basically shoehorned in across the street from Camden.
Old March 22 2013, 07:55 AM   #131
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Yoda wrote: View Post
Thanksgiving isn't a religious holiday (in fact, for many people, their Thanksgiving tradition is football). Christmas is closer, but most people don't consider Christmas to be a day of religious worship either. Easter would be a better example if one wants to at least start with an appropriate analogy.
I don't follow them, but looks like the NBA and NHL are only too happy to run games on Easter. This shit is just giving my crazy brother more fuel for his "teh jewish conspiracy ZOG machine controls all!!!1!" rants
Old March 22 2013, 04:30 PM   #132
Alidar Jarok

Those sports have much smaller stadium capacity than the NFL. Even assuming they could get a full stadium for a basketball game on Easter, that would be a pretty sad showing for a Football game. It might even result in the game getting blacked out provided some sponsor doesn't buy the remaining tickets.
Old March 22 2013, 06:17 PM   #133
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Is that really your argument? That basketball arenas hold 20k and thus the Ravens would only draw 20k because the other 50k are all busy observing Rosh Hashanah? That the NFL opener would be at any risk of being blacked out? Over a religious holiday that 90% of Americans wouldn't even know was occurring that day unless someone told them?

I picked those examples because those are the major sports leagues that are in season on Easter.

I'm not even saying that minority holidays should be given no consideration, but if Thursday doesn't work thanks to the logistics of having an MLB game next door, it's the obvious solution.
Old March 22 2013, 06:20 PM   #134
Alidar Jarok

Actually, I was talking specifically about the historical example involving the Jets. Since the NFL doesn't play on Easter, it's not possible to comment on what they should do in that situation.
Old March 22 2013, 09:11 PM   #135
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

The Ravens have announced they will open the season on the road.

Peter Angelos, go eat a dick.
Closed Thread