Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 20 2013, 02:35 PM   #826
EnsignRicky
Commodore

Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

TheForce.Net is reporting that the creative team is being disbanded and let go.

Sad news. On the one hand these guys really knew how to bring the McQuarrie side of Star Wars to life. On the other, Disney already has animators coming out of their ears.

I just hope that they're wise enough to keep Filoni (if he would even want to stay at this point) and the core creative team; Because even if it's not The Clone Wars, if Disney wishes to continue doing Star Wars animation of any kind, these are the people who have proven that they know how it's done.
Old March 20 2013, 05:54 PM   #827
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

That report stated that they're being let go OR reassigned. I suspect that Filoni will be involved in the new series in some capacity.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 08:58 PM   #828
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Let's hope so. It's not that I wouldn't trust the quality of a future animated project that he's not involved with, but he's more than proven himself over the past five years when it comes to the Star Wars universe and he's one of the best people out there when it comes to this genre. Let's just say I'd be more skeptical if he weren't part of the creative team behind it.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 04:37 AM   #829
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

I believe Filoni's continued involvement was confirmed by a Disney executive during a conference call. They would be foolish to get rid of him.

I'm disappointed about the rest of the team being let go or re-assigned but not surprised. I expect Disney will do away with LFL Animation. It's what they do, they have a ton of animation studios and I don't see them keep a distant foreign one around. It's a shame...Clone Wars blew away just about every Disney television product out there.

I don't think Disney hates The Clone Wars. More like they simply don't give a fuck about the show or its fans. I hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't be suprised if we don't see any of this "bonus content." When you don't give a fuck about something, you're not exactly in a rush to do more of it. I find moves like caneling The Clone Wars by Disney and others to be unnecessarily hostile towards the fanbase.

It's a shame too because a character like Ahsoka is unlikely to ever appear again onscreen, at least not for a long time.

This might have been the original report...

http://www.examiner.com/article/layo...film-animation
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 06:54 AM   #830
billcosby
Commodore

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
I don't think Disney hates The Clone Wars. More like they simply don't give a fuck about the show or its fans. I hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't be suprised if we don't see any of this "bonus content." When you don't give a fuck about something, you're not exactly in a rush to do more of it. I find moves like caneling The Clone Wars by Disney and others to be unnecessarily hostile towards the fanbase.
Sorry DarthPipes, but I think the evidence may suggest Disney does hate The Clone Wars, it's fans, etc. a whole lot.

Disney has disbanded the team that produced the series. Apparently their talent is more of a threat to them than a benefit.

I think DarthPipes is correct to say we may never see this "bonus content" as it truly may be just that, destined for easter egg status on future DRM online-only digital downloads of Star Wars Disney (TM) content twenty years plus down the road.

This reminds me of the time that Palpatine sensed the surge in the power of the Super Maul Bros and came and obliterated them.

From TheForce.Net:
"Disney planned to place future Star Wars TV projects in the hands of its existing television operation."
http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/s...ded_150781.asp

This bad feeling I'd had [regarding the Disney-future of this series] for months now and the slow realization that Disney's TV channel wouldn't be broadcasting The Clone Wars episodes... to the show's outright cancellation... and now the mass firings of the staff, I can't imagine things getting any worse for fans of The Clone Wars right now. The writing was on the wall the moment the 3D releases were shit canned.

This is truly the bottom of the fucking sarlacc pit!

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 06:56 AM   #831
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

I'm suddenly very, very happy that Disney did not buy Hasbro.

I was never a big fan of Clone Wars, but I feel for you who were. This sucks.
Old March 21 2013, 07:38 AM   #832
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Once again I point that the article states that the staff are being let go OR reassigned. So while they're being disassembled from "Clone Wars" work...some of them are undoubtedly being reassigned to work on this new series, whatever it may be.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 11:20 AM   #833
Mr Light
Admiral

The show was originally supposed to be 100 episodes, and they made more than that... so I wouldn't take them ending the show to be a sign of the Coming Star Wars Apocalypse. I would have liked more, but they did accomplish what they set out to do.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 12:58 PM   #834
flavaflav
Commander

I agree 100% with Mr Light. We got 100 eps, plus whatever we get from season 6. That is more than enough Clone Wars and you can only do so much in the time between AOTC and ROTS. What Admiral Young reiterated is also important. For anyone to say Disney hates The Clone Wars and its fans is the epitome of emo and and not based in reality what-so-ever. Give me a break...
flavaflav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 01:05 PM   #835
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
he's more than proven himself over the past five years when it comes to the Star Wars universe
In some ways, perhaps. In other ways, not so much. The show's proven itself unwilling or incapable when it comes to consistency with the EU, even going so far as to rip off EU plotlines and in the process dump books less than three years old out of continuity. It even pushes things with film continuity, if we consider things like the near-constant Anakin vs. Dooku and Obi-Wan vs. Grievous battles. It's also at least partly responsible for the problem of Jedi who seem to constantly forget that they have the Force.

billcosby wrote:
This is truly the bottom of the fucking sarlacc pit!
Yooouuu cannot say filth flarn filth flarn filth!
Old March 21 2013, 01:28 PM   #836
Mr Light
Admiral

I'm not familiar with Quinlos Vos but didn't his single appearance in the show completely fly in the face of his comic book continuity?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 02:59 PM   #837
Stephen!
Captain

Set Harth wrote: View Post
The show's proven itself unwilling or incapable when it comes to consistency with the EU
Not entirely. "Witches of the Mist" acknowledges the EU by dealing with the Iridonia plothole.

Maul's robotic legs being based on the original comic appearance. Although that probably doesn't count since that story doesn't seem to be canon in the first place.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...rsTheCloneWars

In "Storm over Ryloth" Ahsoka used Marg Sabl maneuver, on a droid commander to devastating effect. It's the same maneuver Grand Admiral Thrawn used on an Elomin commander's taskforce.
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 03:02 PM   #838
flavaflav
Commander

Why should The Clone Wars have any consistency with the EU? I think I can safely say most viewers of The Clone Wars don't show the first thing about the EU, so it doesn't impact them at all. Personally, i stopped reading any EU stuff over 10 years ago because it was a bunch of poop. The less EU, the better
flavaflav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 03:26 PM   #839
Christopher
Writer

Despite all the past rhetoric about the EU being on some kind of "canon level" or whatever, the fact is that it's just like any other tie-in material to any other franchise -- it's a supplement to the real thing, and the makers of the real thing are free to draw on its ideas or disregard them as they see fit. So some parts may be acknowledged and embraced if they serve the purposes of the creators of new canon, while other parts will be ignored or discarded if they get in the way.

For that matter, canon itself is subject to being reinterpreted or ignored, which is why it's such a mistake to confuse "canon" with "continuity." The prequel trilogy contains a lot of things that are difficult to reconcile with the original trilogy, as many SW fans probably know better than I do.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 04:19 PM   #840
EnsignRicky
Commodore

When Episode VII comes out, Star Wars may initiate a new genre trend: The expanded universe reboot.

I just blew my mind.