Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 21 2013, 12:31 PM   #1
ZapBrannigan
Captain

If You Grew Up on STAR TREK...

If you started watching STAR TREK as a child, did it expand your vocabulary and often make you sound like the smartest kid in class?

I was a child of TOS, and Spock alone had a huge effect on my vocabulary and general knowledge. And it wasn't just in elementary school that I sounded smart due to STAR TREK. Once in a high school social studies class, the teacher was talking about the Black Death in Europe, and I casually mentioned that the plague reached Constantinople in 1334. That was a great moment because people assumed I knew all about it.

How about your experience with the effects of STAR TREK on childhood development, or just sounding smarter than you were?
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 12:40 PM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: If You Grew Up on STAR TREK...

The only thing I learned watching Star Trek as a kid is this: if you try to fight like Captain Kirk, you're going to get your ass kicked.

The flying butt-chop does not work!
Old March 21 2013, 12:54 PM   #3
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
The only thing I learned watching Star Trek as a kid is this: if you try to fight like Captain Kirk, you're going to get your ass kicked.

You just didn't do it right.

But I did the hand-chop to the neck like Kirk did in a fight in the fourth grade and it was surprisingly effective (landed me in detention afterward, but it was worth it).
Old March 21 2013, 02:07 PM   #4
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Being a Trekkie didn't hurt, but I went to a private school of pretty smart tykes, so I didn't especially stand out, either. And I have a fairly vivid memory of once realizing that my daring X-Wing maneuvers, complete with hand-goggles and a capella sound effects, were being observed by a few classmates one recess, who burst into laughter once I noticed them.

There did come a time in second or third grade, however, when we were assigned to do invidual reports on a planet of the solar system. I was all, "heck, that's kindergarten stuff", and did my report on black holes instead. I think that impressed my classmates for all of a few minutes on the day of the presentation...
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 02:11 PM   #5
indolover
Fleet Captain

Not really, but Trek has made me appreciate philosophy and deeper social issues.

It really is the thinking man's science-fiction lol..
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 02:14 PM   #6
Use of Time
Commodore

I grew up on TNG but I was late to the party. Started watching Trek in 94 right after Generations. TNG was shown twice a day from what I remember so I was able to catch up quickly. I would say that TNG had a positive effect on my vocabulary but I think that it made me more articulate for my age as well.
Old March 21 2013, 02:17 PM   #7
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

My vocabulary skills didn't come from Star Trek, but from Marvel Comics. I owe my use of big word to Stan Lee.

BillJ wrote: View Post

I am amazed at how many of us did this! I'm amazed that anyone else but me even tried it.
Old March 21 2013, 02:19 PM   #8
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

No, because I speak French and I was watching Star Trek in German.
Old March 21 2013, 02:43 PM   #9
Forbin
Admiral

I think it just made everybody think I was a dork.

Another sad result - I guess it was more than just from Trek, but TV and the movies had lead me to believe that the way Kirk, Bond, James West et al got a different woman every week was the way real life was supposed to work. As I progressed thru high school, I was disabused of this misconception. BIG time.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 02:52 PM   #10
bbailey861
Admiral

I am a product of TOS but Star Trek didn't really do anything to improve my vocabulary. Initially, I don't think it was anything more than a really cool science fiction show with neat aliens, gadgets and bad-guys I wanted to take down. As I got older and started watching the episodes over I came to realize it was that and more. It was a really smart science fiction show and I was happy when I realized there was more to it than the 'coolness' - and I could understand it more on a different level. Didn't necessarily agree with everything - but it did expose me to a lot and gave me something more to think about.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 03:13 PM   #11
mos6507
Commander

Reading Tolkien expanded my vocabulary--with archaic words like "whence" and "thither".

Trek did make me think about various concepts, which I think was good for me, but it didn't expand my vocabulary beyond "affirmative". I also knew what a "folsom point" was due to the Galileo 7.
Old March 21 2013, 04:10 PM   #12
Shawnster
Captain

In 8th grade Literature class a discussion came up about the Nazi Regime. I mentioned how the Nazi government was the "most efficient state Earth ever knew" I immediately got shouted down by my teacher.

I learned that, unlike on Ekos, the Nazis were never to be spoken of with anything resembling favor or respect.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 04:55 PM   #13
Pavonis
Commodore

Did your teacher shout you down for talking about Nazis, or for citing a tv show as a reference?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 05:02 PM   #14
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Growing up, people occasionally commented on my vocabulary, but I think that, in general, that had more to do with being an omniverous reader than any one particular TV show, movie, novel, or comic book.

STAR TREK surely contributed to my vocabulary, but so did THE TWILIGHT ZONE, THE OUTER LIMITS, DARK SHADOWS, comic books, Edgar Rice Burroughs, H.P. Lovecraft, Sherlock Holmes, Doc Savage, etc.
Old March 21 2013, 05:02 PM   #15
feek61
Commander

I had one of those moments. It was in 7th grade; sitting in the back of English class. While I was looking out the window I heard the teacher say "does anybody know what "Obsession" means?" Well, you can guess what happened next. It was like Spock was speaking through me. The teacher was really impressed especially since I hadn't said two words the entire 9 weeks, lol