Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 20 2013, 06:10 PM   #31
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Uh-Oh!! Is Microsoft setting up to answer Sony?

Rincewiend wrote: View Post
Hm, apparently all games will be installed on the hard drive. Play from optical disc will not be supported and "always on-line/connected to the internet"

http://www.vgleaks.com/durango-xdk/

So they really are just selling a small form factor desktop computer.
Old March 20 2013, 06:37 PM   #32
Jax
Admiral

If true then am going towards the PS4 and Microsoft will easily lose the next gen race. Not everyone has their console connected to the net (assuming they have the internet or a stable connection at least) and not everyone evens want to hook their console up to the net so they will lose those customers right away.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 07:48 PM   #33
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Jax wrote: View Post
If true then am going towards the PS4 and Microsoft will easily lose the next gen race. Not everyone has their console connected to the net (assuming they have the internet or a stable connection at least) and not everyone evens want to hook their console up to the net so they will lose those customers right away.
About 3/4 of both PS3 and 360 owners have taken their consoles online at least once, so it doesn't sound like MS is worried about market penetration being limited by an "always online" feature.
Old March 20 2013, 08:02 PM   #34
Sheep
Vice Admiral

I don't care about installs since I install every disc game I play anyway.

I'm waiting to see what "always on" entails. It could be completely innocuous, it could be some EA-type BS where even single player games require a server connection, or it could mean they're blocking used games. Given that Sony isn't planning to do either of the last two, I doubt Microsoft would try unless they want to drive people back to the PlayStation.
Old March 20 2013, 08:10 PM   #35
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Sheep wrote: View Post
It could be completely innocuous, it could be some EA-type BS where even single player games require a server connection, or it could mean they're blocking used games.
This does worry me, but I have a hard time believing that Microsoft could be that stupid.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 08:52 PM   #36
Stephen!
Captain

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
This does worry me, but I have a hard time believing that Microsoft could be that stupid.
Unless Microsoft is starting to lose it a bit these days.

The problems with Windows Eight
Windows Phone having limited market share
ARM based Windows RT tablets confusing customers
Trying to tie Microsoft Office to a single computer
Possibly not allowing Xbox 720 to run second hand games
Lashing out at Google regarding privacy. The "Scroogle" thing
Their dependency on patents as a crutch to attack Android
Having to bribe Nokia to use Windows Phone
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 08:59 PM   #37
Jax
Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
About 3/4 of both PS3 and 360 owners have taken their consoles online
Well thats what, 19 million XBox customers? who will be very unhappy. A pure online console is very dangerous at this moment in time and would affect sales IMO.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 01:04 AM   #38
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

Jax wrote: View Post
About 3/4 of both PS3 and 360 owners have taken their consoles online
Well thats what, 19 million XBox customers? who will be very unhappy. A pure online console is very dangerous at this moment in time and would affect sales IMO.
Given the necessity of system updates, game patches, etc. in this day and age, I don't know how you could get away with not having the console online.
Old March 21 2013, 02:05 AM   #39
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Given the necessity of system updates, game patches, etc. in this day and age, I don't know how you could get away with not having the console online.
Game patches are less often necessary than you think (most of the time they're for MP anyways, and SP bugs get ignored). And I think they new system updates get carried on the disc like they did for Wii.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 02:28 AM   #40
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

That would be a major deal-breaker for me. This EA/Sim City fiasco is all I needed to know that always online DRM is a major mistake and not for me.
AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 03:44 AM   #41
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

AlphaMan wrote: View Post
That would be a major deal-breaker for me. This EA/Sim City fiasco is all I needed to know that always online DRM is a major mistake and not for me.
Apples and oranges. This is akin to having your computer online all the time, not a specific game, as is the case with SimCity.
Old March 21 2013, 05:23 AM   #42
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

AlphaMan wrote: View Post
Apples and oranges. This is akin to having your computer online all the time, not a specific game, as is the case with SimCity.
I'm not sure why you think that this is different from the Sim City fiasco. If the Durango is always online than that means you need to be connected to their servers to use the console. If the servers go down (or Microsoft cuts support for the console) then you're screwed. It's the exact same thing.

Although, I still think that this is a moot point. Microsoft isn't going to release an online only console or prevent used games. Without a monopoly on the industry (like the PS2 or NES) it would be suicide.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 11:43 AM   #43
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

Well...

I certainly expected Microsoft to have answered Sony at this point. The amount of buzz over the PS4 is overwhelming. News of the PS4 is dominating interest at IGN, Kotaku and Game Spot. GameStop reports significant interest in PS4 and 900,000 preorders already. All this and Microsoft only registered a domain as a response. I'm starting to wonder if Sony's little fake out in January (Sony was going to let Microsoft announce first) worked and Microsoft was caught totally off guard.
AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 02:27 PM   #44
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

I doubt it.. they know the 720 (or whatever its name will be) will garner enough interest.

The videogame market is split in half and i guess it won't move much.. capabilities will be about the same and i don't believe MS will suffer any long lasting effects just because Sony went first in the announcement and that presentation was lukewarm at best, i.e. no real detail and merely a picture of the controller.

E3 will start the battle in earnest and i guess both companies will open up fully then. Until then everything that comes before are mere skirmishes.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 03:52 PM   #45
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Adam Orth, creative director Microsoft on tweeter and a little spat he had with a game dev form Bioware on the issue of always on connections.

Full story at neogaf..
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=52707141

Last edited by Haggis and tatties; April 5 2013 at 04:04 PM.
Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote