RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,227
Posts: 5,347,322
Members: 24,607
Currently online: 686
Newest member: lueth2048

TrekToday headlines

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 17 2013, 08:41 PM   #121
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Animated Series Blu-Ray Plans

RAMA wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
Burnett is wrong of course...
No, he was dead on. It is just pablum.
He raved about the last two STID trailers

Sorry, your opinions will never compare to the critical mass reactions and viewer reactions. Might as well face it.

RAMA
My opinion matters to me more than those who wasted their money on pablum. If lots of people choose to eat crap and I don't then I'd say I'm way ahead of them.

And, yeah, his opinion on JJtrek has no bearing on TAS.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 08:42 PM   #122
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Animated Series Blu-Ray Plans

Hilariously, it's probably the renewed interest in Trek stemming from JJ Abrams' reboot that's the reason they're remastering TNG in the first place, and Burnett has a job. It must sting.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 08:59 PM   #123
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral
 
ChristopherPike's Avatar
 
Re: Animated Series Blu-Ray Plans

Since it's Original Series and therefore the most well-known, iconic characters who are destined to be recast forever now it seems, yadda-yadda... CBS could try getting a reanimation project underway. It'd sell to a network someplace, simply because it's the further adventures of Kirk, Spock and McCoy. No money to lay out on script writers, voicing talent or musical direction. Care would be needed to match new animation with the already set soundtracks. I gather that's the opposite way round to how cartoons are generally made... with the possible exception of Doctor Who's interest in producing visuals to accompany the soundtracks to lost episodes.

Split the 22 episode run in half, for a equal length two season run, with the Blu ray featuring the original Filmation cartoons on one angle and the new style on the other. Go the seamless branching route remastered TOS did.
__________________
STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE Season 5 on Netflix Facebook page
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 07:55 PM   #124
Galileo7
Fleet Captain
 
Galileo7's Avatar
 
Location: U.S.A.
Re: Animated Series Blu-Ray Plans

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I'm content with the current TAS box set. I don't really see what a BluRay version will bring to the table. So unless it proves to be something unexpectedly amazing I'll pass.
I have to agree. I am pleased with the existing TAS box set. It would have to be an impressive improvement in Blu-Ray or include found extras.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 08:05 PM   #125
Noname Given
Vice Admiral
 
Location: None Given
Re: Animated Series Blu-Ray Plans

Warped9 wrote: View Post
middyseafort wrote: View Post
CaptPapa wrote: View Post

You've absolutely nailed my feelings on this subject, thank you!
Same thing LitSF authors said and some still say about the original STAR TREK.
Only the series is still followed after forty years. Check back with me in four decades and tell me if ST09 is still remembered.
^^^^^^^^^
It will be. I believve you once had an issue with any Star Trek produced post 1979 - yet 31 years later, STII:TWoK is not only remembered, but remembered fondly (even with all it's ploty holes and continuity issues.)

For some fans who now like original era Str Trek too -- the ST09 film WAS their intro to the Star Trek franchise, so I'm sure they'll remember and reminisce about it fondly.

Hell TNG Season 1 is still considered garbage by myself and a lot of other older (TOS) fans, yet now, a lot TNG fans look on it with fondness, and still like it as it's what got them into Star Trek fandom.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 08:52 PM   #126
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Animated Series Blu-Ray Plans

Noname Given wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
Only the series is still followed after forty years. Check back with me in four decades and tell me if ST09 is still remembered.
^^^^^^^^^
It will be. I believve you once had an issue with any Star Trek produced post 1979 - yet 31 years later, STII:TWoK is not only remembered, but remembered fondly (even with all it's ploty holes and continuity issues.)

For some fans who now like original era Str Trek too -- the ST09 film WAS their intro to the Star Trek franchise, so I'm sure they'll remember and reminisce about it fondly.

Hell TNG Season 1 is still considered garbage by myself and a lot of other older (TOS) fans, yet now, a lot TNG fans look on it with fondness, and still like it as it's what got them into Star Trek fandom.
Damn straight. Of course it'll be remembered. Heck, even the disappointing parts of the Trek franchise are remembered -- we remember ST V, we remember "Threshold," we remember "These Are the Voyages." We remember all of it, the good and the bad and most of the in between. (Except TAS. That tends to get overlooked a lot.)

Of course, ST '09 actually has the highest critical and audience approval ratings of any Trek film ever made and is the most financially successful Trek film since TMP. It will be remembered by most people just as fondly as TWOK is, and for much the same reasons -- TWOK was the film that saved the franchise from extinction, and ST '09 was the film that brought it back from extinction. They both gave it new leases on life, began new eras in its history, and so of course they both have an indelible place in its history. I accept that about TWOK even though I personally dislike it.

But even if most people really did dislike ST '09 as much as Warped9 does, it would certainly still be remembered, because fandom is nothing if not devoted to its hatreds. Either way, love it or hate it, it makes no sense to claim it won't be remembered.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 09:35 PM   #127
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Animated Series Blu-Ray Plans

Warped9 wrote: View Post
No, he was dead on. It is just pablum.
For you perhaps, but you don't like anything ST beyond ST:TMP, IIRC.

I loved ST 2009 and it actually ties with TMP as my favourite ST. (I also know many ST fans who consider TMP to be pablum.) When I discovered ST fandom it took me a loooong time to find any ST fans who actually liked the first movie. Strangely enough, the people I did find in 1980 agree with me that ST 2009 was cool, too.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 01:08 AM   #128
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Animated Series Blu-Ray Plans

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
No, he was dead on. It is just pablum.
For you perhaps, but you don't like anything ST beyond ST:TMP, IIRC.

I loved ST 2009 and it actually ties with TMP as my favourite ST. (I also know many ST fans who consider TMP to be pablum.) When I discovered ST fandom it took me a loooong time to find any ST fans who actually liked the first movie. Strangely enough, the people I did find in 1980 agree with me that ST 2009 was cool, too.
You don't recall correctly or I wouldn't have popped for the first two seasons of TNG-R and I'm waiting for Season 3.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 12:46 PM   #129
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Animated Series Blu-Ray Plans

Warped9 wrote: View Post
You don't recall correctly or I wouldn't have popped for the first two seasons of TNG-R and I'm waiting for Season 3.
Your signature use to have 1979 as the end date so we remember quite well. You've just gotten soft in your old age.
__________________
"I had no idea you were so... formidable. " - Anan 7 to James T. Kirk, A Taste of Armageddon
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 05:58 PM   #130
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain
 
TREK_GOD_1's Avatar
 
Location: Escaped from Delta Vega
Re: Animated Series Blu-Ray Plans

ChristopherPike wrote: View Post
Since it's Original Series and therefore the most well-known, iconic characters who are destined to be recast forever now it seems, yadda-yadda... CBS could try getting a reanimation project underway. It'd sell to a network someplace, simply because it's the further adventures of Kirk, Spock and McCoy. No money to lay out on script writers, voicing talent or musical direction. Care would be needed to match new animation with the already set soundtracks.
What's the point of that? From a commercial standpoint, there's no great demand to see any sort of TAS-R production, and slapping some new animation over the Filmation voice and music score work boils down to disrespect coupled with a gimmick production.

If anyone really had a desire for a Trek cartoon, base it on J.J. Trek, and gauge the public interest. Good luck to them on that.
__________________
"...to be like God, you have the power to make the world anything you want it to be."
TREK_GOD_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.