Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Closed Thread

Old March 20 2013, 11:09 PM   #61
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy
Re: College: Gender Studies

I was directed to this abortion from the Forum That Must Not Be Named.

It is not disappoint.
Old March 20 2013, 11:41 PM   #62
Count Zero
Decidedly something

hxclespaulplayer wrote: View Post
Anyway, what are your opinions of the usefulness of a degree in Gender Studies, career-wise? I've been told many things, namely that it's useless, I'm gay, (two guys and thirty girls in the lectures) a misandrist, etc etc, but I've never before been in a room with so many like-minded people in my life, it's liberating.
Good for you, really. I think this is a field that can be very stimulating intellectually because it challenges common assumptions about societal roles most of us have grown up with. There's also some bullshit and nonsense but that's the case with every academic field. The most important thing to learn in academics is to be discerning and determining the merit of any theory or argument you're being presented with.

As others have said it's never wrong to learn new things and personally, I'm very much in favour of pursueing academic studies for their own merit and not neccessarily as a career thing.
I suspect a degree in Gender Studies isn't that useful in that regard but others have made good points about how you might be able to make it useful. It's certainly possible to carve out a niche for your set of qualifications.
Old March 21 2013, 12:31 AM   #63
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

junxon wrote: View Post
really i can't see the downside in getting a qualification in a subject you find fascinating, so i reckon go for it.

and for the record, during the course of this thread derangednasat has made a lot of intrusive presumptions and attributed false strawman opinions to me that come across as intolerant and vindictive.

so i hope you permit me to call him a whiny little misogynist douchebag without giving me an infraction, but if you do i'm willing to accept it.
Just for you, an article by the founder of the world's first battered womens' shelter.

http://www.avoiceformen.com/a-voice-...e-erin-pizzey/

She, I'm sure, is a misogynist too .
Old March 21 2013, 12:39 AM   #64
Avon
Fleet Captain

that website has a list of women down the side under the title 'offenders' and a list of their so called crimes.

it is utterly hateful.

what is that meant to prove anyway? that you read a lot of twisted blogs?

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Old March 21 2013, 12:44 AM   #65
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
junxon wrote: View Post
really i can't see the downside in getting a qualification in a subject you find fascinating, so i reckon go for it.

and for the record, during the course of this thread derangednasat has made a lot of intrusive presumptions and attributed false strawman opinions to me that come across as intolerant and vindictive.

so i hope you permit me to call him a whiny little misogynist douchebag without giving me an infraction, but if you do i'm willing to accept it.
Just for you, an article by the founder of the world's first battered womens' shelter.

http://www.avoiceformen.com/a-voice-...e-erin-pizzey/

She, I'm sure, is a misogynist too .
Not a misogynist, but clearly too steeped in fervent anti-communist rhetoric to think straight.

And linking to A Voice for Men? Are you fucking serious, dude?

Look, I know you've got your issues, and I don't think you're a bad guy, but maybe you should just cut your losses and back out of this thread before you make yourself look any more foolish. You're pushing some really hateful misogynist dogma here. I don't know why. I don't know how you got sucked into the MRA Zone. I figured you'd be too smart for that claptrap. However it happened, you might want to take some time to think about what you're saying, how it comes off, and why it's received such a hostile reaction here. Hint: it's not because we've all been bought off by the "feminist conspiracy."
Old March 21 2013, 12:44 AM   #66
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

I'm certain anyone reading this can see which of us is the hateful one, feminist.

Sincerely,

"a whiny little misogynist douchebag".
Old March 21 2013, 12:45 AM   #67
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
And linking to A Voice for Men? Are you fucking serious, dude?"
Quite so, I assure you.
Old March 21 2013, 12:49 AM   #68
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I'm certain anyone reading this can see which of us is the hateful one, feminist.

Sincerely,

"a whiny little misogynist douchebag".
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
And linking to A Voice for Men? Are you fucking serious, dude?"
Quite so, I assure you.

I can't think of much else to say at this point. Good luck with... whatever it is.
Old March 21 2013, 12:49 AM   #69
Avon
Fleet Captain

that website links to a wiki where feminists are labelled 'bigots' and are found alongside lists of female criminals. sick.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Old March 21 2013, 12:50 AM   #70
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

I'm certain anyone reading this can see which of us is the hateful one.
Old March 21 2013, 12:58 AM   #71
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

I fail to see how any of this is helping the original poster in any way. The poster asked a question. A few people answered it. The rest of this bullshit is completely irrelevant to hxclespaulplayer's question, so maybe we should just close this thread and take this crap to TNZ where it belongs.

Jesus Christ on a Pony.
Old March 21 2013, 01:10 AM   #72
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

auntiehill wrote: View Post
I fail to see how any of this is helping the original poster in any way. The poster asked a question. A few people answered it. The rest of this bullshit is completely irrelevant to hxclespaulplayer's question, so maybe we should just close this thread and take this crap to TNZ where it belongs.
Eh, we don't really see any blatant misogyny in TNZ, you know. Misc is a much worse offender there.
Old March 21 2013, 01:12 AM   #73
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Ah. I wouldn't know. I don't go in there. But my point stands. The question was asked and answered, despite all the bullshit. Perhaps we can just close and bury (and salt and burn) this thread?
Old March 21 2013, 01:14 AM   #74
Shanndee
Commodore

To the OP:

This degree will help you immensely if you plan to pursue psychology or social work. Other than that I have to agree with this:

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
I agree with a couple of previous posters who have stated that if you are in school to gain knowledge and pursue your interests, then yes, the program will be useful to you and you will probably have a great time. If your main goal is to graduate with a job lined up, it probably won't be such a great idea. This is the sort of degree that would work great as a stepping stone into graduate school in the social sciences though. There is definitely a chance that your future career will make use of this degree, but you will need to have clear goals in mind and probably do some extra schooling before you get there. For example I am in a library science graduate program at the moment, and I've met a few classmates who specifically want to focus on working at libraries or archives within women's organizations or GLBTIQ organizations. An undergraduate degree in gender studies would likely be of much benefit to them in applying for those jobs.
Deranged Nasat, I have read your posts with interest in the past. They have always been well reasoned and well thought out. I have liked the persona you presented in the past. With this one thread you have totally destroyed all of the respect and good will I used to have for you. This is very, very sad.

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Old March 21 2013, 01:17 AM   #75
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

Shanndee wrote: View Post
Deranged Nasat, I have read your posts with interest in the past. They have always been well reasoned and well thought out. I have liked the persona you presented in the past. With this one thread you have totally destroyed all of the respect and good will I used to have for you. This is very, very sad.
I'm afraid that's pretty much how I see it, too. The complete lack of perspective and the incredibly warped view on reality is shocking. It's like the people who look into conspiracy theories, get lost in them and then completely lose their sense of reality.
Or people who have serious issues, feel terrible and then start hating and blaming others to feel better. It's sad.

And if they're too far gone it doesn't matter what you tell them. Telling them they're wrong will just reinforce their weird views because they believe in some crazy "mainstream indoctrination" nonsense.
Closed Thread