Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 18 2013, 06:20 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Star Trek Into Darkness Aiming For More

According to Star Trek into Darkness Producer Bryan Burk, both he and J.J. Abrams are looking to expand the Star Trek fan base. Burk commented on their hopes for Star Trek into Darkness at one of the forty-minute preview screenings of the movie taking place at various locations world-wise; this one in Sydney, Australia. “I [...]

More...
TrekToday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 07:42 PM   #2
Opus
Commodore

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Aiming For More

I'm glad they are "aiming for more".

But Burk comes off as a doofus in the article - "[Star Trek's] science fact! It's one hundred percent our future!"

Uhhhh... no...
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 08:13 PM   #3
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Burk is involved in the next Star Wars as well?

JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 01:01 AM   #4
wjaspers
Lieutenant Commander

People who do not like ST, have their reasons. If suddenly they like ST, than this means they are not looking at ST, they are looking at something else created by JJ.

Thank you for ruin it for me.
wjaspers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 02:19 AM   #5
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

wjaspers wrote: View Post
People who do not like ST, have their reasons. If suddenly they like ST, than this means they are not looking at ST, they are looking at something else created by JJ.

Whut?
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 02:54 AM   #6
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, uh-huh. Because anyone who didn't like Star Trek but then suddenly did like Deep Space Nine meant they didn't like Star Trek, they liked something else created by Rick Berman and Michael Piller.

Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 08:05 AM   #7
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

What's ruined?

You are not compelled to watch any new Star Trek adventures. Rewatch your old ones!

Plenty of us enjoyed the last JJ Abrams effort. Very much.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 02:32 PM   #8
RAMA
Vice Admiral

OphaClyde wrote: View Post
I'm glad they are "aiming for more".

But Burk comes off as a doofus in the article - "[Star Trek's] science fact! It's one hundred percent our future!"

Uhhhh... no...
I think that's his general way of saying it's more grounded, as well as inspirational to modern inventors/scientists/engineers. I'm pretty certain he doesn't believe it's actually fact.

RAMA
Old March 20 2013, 02:35 PM   #9
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Xaios wrote: View Post

Yeah, uh-huh. Because anyone who didn't like Star Trek but then suddenly did like Deep Space Nine meant they didn't like Star Trek, they liked something else created by Rick Berman and Michael Piller.

I usually feel the other way around, I consider all of ST one history (even JJ's as an alternate one). You don't HAVE to believe that and enjoy all of them, but I do. To me, STNG was a vindication of ST on TV, the other shows were a vindication for the way STNG was put on the air...one gigantic flipping off of the execs and networks who cancelled it. In that way ST is a rebel franchise, unlike SW for example.

RAMA
Old March 20 2013, 07:02 PM   #10
Flake
Commodore

I'm sure folks in 1987 moaned and groaned about TNG being nothing like TOS. Trek needs to reinvent itself every few decades or else it just dies forever.

Paramount had an option, do they stick with Berman and try to appeal to an ever dwindling population of diehards or reboot big time and throw lots of money trying to get Trek back to its height?, I think they made the right decision. The people complaining about how much the reboot sucks are just collateral damage.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 12:59 AM   #11
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

More is better

Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 07:37 AM   #12
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
More is better
Completely off topic, but I think these are some of the best commercials on the air right now. AT&T really did hit it big with these. Consistantly funny, no matter how many times I've seen them.
Old March 21 2013, 12:31 PM   #13
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Flake wrote: View Post
I'm sure folks in 1987 moaned and groaned about TNG being nothing like TOS. Trek needs to reinvent itself every few decades or else it just dies forever.

Paramount had an option, do they stick with Berman and try to appeal to an ever dwindling population of diehards or reboot big time and throw lots of money trying to get Trek back to its height?, I think they made the right decision. The people complaining about how much the reboot sucks are just collateral damage.
Old March 21 2013, 03:07 PM   #14
mos6507
Captain

I was one of the ones who moaned and groaned. I think TNG won people over mostly because it was there, not because it somehow brought something new and vital to ST that TOS didn't have. Not that it wasn't good on occasion, but just not as good as TOS.

Paramount had an option, do they stick with Berman
Sticking with the prime continuity shouldn't have had to mean sticking with Berman.

The people complaining about how much the reboot sucks are just collateral damage.
In a cut-throat capitalism way, sure. That seems to be how things are going to go down from here on in, as Hollywood just keeps rebooting a fixed number of franchises ad-nauseum rather than trying something new, and what this does is set up inner-feuds like this within fandom. If Trek had just been allowed to die after Nemesis, at least you wouldn't have these sorts of battles. Instead it's "it makes money therefore it should be celebrated" vs. the purists. These sorts of battles have no resolution because they originate from two totally different value-systems.