RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,710
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 809
Newest member: Robert james

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old March 19 2013, 10:12 AM   #166
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

sonak wrote: View Post
To each their own, I just think that Generations is light-years ahead of Insurrection.
Insurrection suffers from the fact that the subject material and the way it's presented really don't mesh very well. Though I think an unpolished turd is light-years ahead of it.
Old March 19 2013, 02:48 PM   #167
Gaith
Rear Admiral

sonak wrote: View Post
Generations had a central story- Dr. Soran trying to get to the Nexus
And a purpose, too - to effect the galactic awesomeness of a Kirk/Picard team-up without employing anything as obvious or dull as conventional time travel.

FC was a lesser reprise of TBOTW. Insurrection and Nemesis were unmemorable one-off stories. But Generations... now that's a movie.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 06:35 AM   #168
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

First Contact is nothing like Best of Both Worlds. Best of Both Worlds was a large scale epic. First Contact is Die Hard on the Enterprise with a time travel B-Plot.

Slightly more interesting than 3 old farts pissing about with a bridge for ages.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 11:21 AM   #169
Lance
Fleet Captain

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Slightly more interesting than 3 old farts pissing about with a bridge for ages.
For a minute there I misread that as "Three old farts pissing on a bridge". And I thought, 'is this a deleted scene I wasn't previously aware of?'.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 12:19 PM   #170
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Lance wrote: View Post
"Three old farts pissing on a bridge".
That movie would have been a box office smash!

Generations remains the only film of the original 10 I can't warm to. I really like the intro sequence with the Enterprise-B and a few of Picard's scenes in the early stages of the movie but as soon as Picard is beamed down to the planet I zone out and the movie just gets duller and more absurd. It features the least dramatic final act I've ever seen. And we have to sit through it twice .

It's a film that was obviously rushed out. First Contact gets right everything Generations got wrong. Insurrection is flawed but gets my respect for feeling like a TNG episode and is very well directed. Nemesis is just mediocre. I don't passionately enjoy it or hate it, it's just kinda there.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 05:50 PM   #171
Chrisisall
Commodore

First Contact gets right everything Generations got wrong. Insurrection is flawed but gets my respect for feeling like a TNG episode and is very well directed. Nemesis is just mediocre. I don't passionately enjoy it or hate it, it's just kinda there.
My feelings exactly. Insurrection gets a lot more dislike aimed at it then it deserves IMO.
Chrisisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 07:09 PM   #172
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I just saw an Insurrection Trailer with glowing reviews on it and it's promoted as the action hit of the year!
Old March 20 2013, 07:35 PM   #173
Lance
Fleet Captain

Generations remains the only film of the original 10 I can't warm to. I really like the intro sequence with the Enterprise-B and a few of Picard's scenes in the early stages of the movie but as soon as Picard is beamed down to the planet I zone out and the movie just gets duller and more absurd. It features the least dramatic final act I've ever seen. And we have to sit through it twice .
Oh I agree. There's something terribly schizophrenic about the whole movie IMO. The mismatched uniforms are almost a visual symptom of the entire production. It's like they're jumping this way or that, but can't make up their minds where to go with it beyond saying "Let's get Captains Kirk and Picard together! Fuck yeah!". But they even make a hash of that.

On some level I love that the TNG segments actually feel properly like TNG. I love the cinematography too, John Alonzo done a terrific job. Everything else I'm hot and cold on.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 08:02 PM   #174
Relayer1
Commodore

I prefer Generations to Trek V - The Final Frontier, but not by much. Its deeply rotten.
Old March 20 2013, 08:29 PM   #175
sonak
Vice Admiral

Chrisisall wrote: View Post
First Contact gets right everything Generations got wrong. Insurrection is flawed but gets my respect for feeling like a TNG episode and is very well directed. Nemesis is just mediocre. I don't passionately enjoy it or hate it, it's just kinda there.
My feelings exactly. Insurrection gets a lot more dislike aimed at it then it deserves IMO.

indeed, what's not to like about a movie whose tagline could have been "thrills as we watch the crew of the Enterprise make sure that the hippie lifestyle of 600 people is preserved?"

You know, even if you take away whether you agree or not with Picard in the film, it's just not a fundamentally interesting premise and the movie is slow and the humor is lame.
Old March 20 2013, 11:53 PM   #176
Joby
Fleet Captain

Lance wrote: View Post
Oh I agree. There's something terribly schizophrenic about the whole movie IMO. The mismatched uniforms are almost a visual symptom of the entire production. It's like they're jumping this way or that, but can't make up their minds where to go with it beyond saying "Let's get Captains Kirk and Picard together! Fuck yeah!". But they even make a hash of that.

On some level I love that the TNG segments actually feel properly like TNG. I love the cinematography too, John Alonzo done a terrific job. Everything else I'm hot and cold on.
A big problem was that immediately after they shot TNG's finale "All Good Things...", they went straight into shooting the Generations. So that's why it feels so rushed, because it was.
Joby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 12:10 AM   #177
Pondwater
Fleet Captain

Nemesis was a pretty big disappointment. It had so much potential but was [explicative].
Pondwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 12:24 AM   #178
Captain McBain
Captain

Location: Being congratulated on the bridge of the Enterprise after making captain

Picard and others are out of character in the movies. I didn't care for that.
Captain McBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 02:43 PM   #179
Stoo
Captain

It was a smart business movie but I prefer the more sci-fi orientated films.
Trek movies never seem to work out too well when tackling weighty scifi themes. We had VGer trying to understand its creators in the motionless picture. Then the quest for God in Final Frontier (which I liked but I realise I'm in a minority).

The greatest successes meanwhile are a submarine thriller and Die Hard With the Borg. Oh and the reboot which is kinda thin on plot really.

Last edited by Stoo; March 21 2013 at 04:17 PM.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 03:44 PM   #180
sonak
Vice Admiral

Stoo wrote: View Post
It was a smart business movie but I prefer the more sci-fi orientated films.
Trek movies never seem to work out too well when tackling weighty scifi themes. We had VGer trying to understand its creators in the motionless picture. The quest for God in Final Frontier (which I liked but I realise I'm in a minority).

The greatest successes are a submarine thriller and Die Hard With the Borg. Oh and the reboot which is kinda thin on plot really.

yep, I've always thought this was ironic-the two most "pure" sci-fi concept movies, TMP and TFF(and the two most like a TOS episode as well) are among the most poorly regarded of the film series.