Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Closed Thread

Old March 20 2013, 02:46 PM   #16
Collingwood Nick
Vice Admiral

Re: College: Gender Studies

Even if I don't agree with Nasat I say good on him for challenging the status quo. The world needs more free speakers.

Now to the original question. The utility of a Gender Studies degree?

As usual engineering students have the solution.

Old March 20 2013, 02:48 PM   #17
Collingwood Nick
Vice Admiral

If you're going to uni to learn something new and become a more well rounded person, do the degree. If you're going to learn a trade and gain employment, then, you know, learn a trade like engineering or business.
Old March 20 2013, 02:54 PM   #18
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

Collingwood Nick wrote: View Post
Even if I don't agree with Nasat I say good on him for challenging the status quo.
What status quo would that be? You're not suggesting feminism is the dominant ideology in the West, much less the rest of the world, are you? Recent challenges to women's rights in addition to existing systemic inequalities in my country (among others) would seem to put the lie to the idea that feminism is the status quo that needs to be challenged above all else.
Old March 20 2013, 02:55 PM   #19
Collingwood Nick
Vice Admiral

No, just this internet forum. Quite frankly I have no idea what he's talking about, nor do I care, but I applaud him for standing up to the rest of you.
Old March 20 2013, 03:00 PM   #20
Pingfaaaaarrrrgh
Admiral

No, just this internet forum. Quite frankly I have no idea what he's talking about, nor do I care, but I applaud him for standing up to the rest of you.
So you have no idea what he is talking about, but you are quite sure it applies to everybody here except you.

Congrats on the most utterly useless post of the day.
Old March 20 2013, 03:02 PM   #21
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

Ah, I thought this was a question regarding the utility of a gender studies degree followed by Nasat's response about the biases present in such courses, but clearly you've gotten to the bottom of things and deciphered that it's actually a challenge against the evil feminist matriarconspiracy that dominates the board.

Well read, Nick. Well read.
Old March 20 2013, 03:06 PM   #22
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

junxon wrote: View Post
rejection of feminism always boils down to 'you don't think women should be equals and feminism scares my insecurities'. you can link as much as you want but the opinion you're pushing is pathetic.
The exact sort of irrational, hateful ad hominem pointless response to be expected from a feminist.

Let me put it to you: feminism is an intellectually bankrupt, dangerously hateful ideology that is causing widespread damage to Western society through its projection of an irrational ideological platform into all levels of academia, law, and government. Responses among much of the populace to matters concerning gender are made in terms of adherence to assumptions based in decades of misinformation, ideological distortions and unscholarly behaviour. I am one of those tired and angry of seeing such remain unchallenged. The responsibility is yours - the responsibility to research, to question, to look where people are pointing to offer you a view different to that you currently hold. But instead you will insist that I "hate women", a most ludicrous and offensive argument.

Why don't you read through the introductory materials I've linked, unlearn a few assumptions about how the world works and has worked and then you'll be better prepared to comprehend why I'm warning someone away from this line of - I use the term loosely - "study".
Old March 20 2013, 03:11 PM   #23
Avon
Fleet Captain

i read some of those ranty, barely coherent, biased, unsupported by credible source blogs you linked. i read them so now you should read some actual credible articles and challenge your own assumptions.

do you have many female friends? are they happy to be percieved as some sort of sub-human slave class?

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Old March 20 2013, 03:20 PM   #24
Boo! Did I Scare Ya?
Admiral

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post

I’ve been somewhat concerned of late (more so than usual) with the casual acceptance among members of this board of dangerous ideologies and distorted reasoning.
I can't exactly say why, but this one line has me in stitches. The best thing I've read so far today.
Old March 20 2013, 03:26 PM   #25
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

junxon wrote: View Post
i read some of those ranty, barely coherent, biased, unsupported by credible source blogs you linked. i read them so now you should read some actual credible articles and challenge your own assumptions.

do you have many female friends? are they happy to be percieved as some sort of sub-human slave class?
Observe the elegant reasoning of the feminist, people.

And "barely coherent"? Lol indeed, junxon. Lol indeed.
Old March 20 2013, 03:28 PM   #26
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

The exact sort of irrational, hateful ad hominem pointless response to be expected from a feminist.

Let me put it to you: feminism is an intellectually bankrupt, dangerously hateful ideology that is causing widespread damage to Western society through its projection of an irrational ideological platform into all levels of academia, law, and government.
You know, feminists are not some group mind that all think and act in lockstep with each other. There are extremes in any group, and the group as a whole should not be judged by their worst examples. It sounds like you've had some pretty negative encounters or read some literature that have given you such a strong anti-feminist stance, but to dismiss the movement entirely based on that is shortsighted and unfair, IMO.

Can you imagine dismissing the entire Black civil rights movement based on a negative interaction with a few of its more militant supporters? Yet that's exactly what you are doing here regarding feminism and the struggle for equal rights for women, which is sadly not even close to being achieved in the US and the West, and especially not the rest of the world.

I just think you need to take a step back and examine where all of this anger is coming from and whether you're really giving an objective assessment of the feminist movement as a whole.
Old March 20 2013, 03:31 PM   #27
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

When a particular set of assumptions, a particular ideology or a particular worldview becomes entrenched in academic, legal and political institutions, when it defines the assumptions and beliefs of a population (and particularly those who adhere to certain political and philosophical categories where this ideology is most influential), then exposure to other perspectives will be met with mockery, belittlement, aggression, or some combination of these. It's important for people - for example, someone thinking of entering the miasma of academic gender studies - to be made aware of the range of perspectives prior to being "educated" at length by those who push a singular and indefensible ideological line under the pretence of scholarship.
Old March 20 2013, 03:32 PM   #28
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

When a particular set of assumptions, a particular ideology or a particular worldview becomes entrenched in academic, legal and political institutions, when it defines the assumptions and beliefs of a population (and particularly those who adhere to certain political and philosophical categories where this ideology is most influential), then exposure to other perspectives will be met with mockery, belittlement, aggression, or some combination of these. It's important for people - for example, someone thinking of entering the miasma of academic gender studies - to be made aware of the range of perspectives prior to being "educated" at length by those who push a singular and indefensible ideological line under the pretence of scholarship.
And yet you seem to have absolutely nothing scholarly or even well-written to present as a counter-argument. Why is that?
Old March 20 2013, 03:33 PM   #29
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
You know, feminists are not some group mind that all think and act in lockstep with each other. There are extremes in any group, and the group as a whole should not be judged by their worst examples. It sounds like you've had some pretty negative encounters or read some literature that have given you such a strong anti-feminist stance, but to dismiss the movement entirely based on that is shortsighted and unfair, IMO.

Can you imagine dismissing the entire Black civil rights movement based on a negative interaction with a few of its more militant supporters? Yet that's exactly what you are doing here regarding feminism and the struggle for equal rights for women, which is sadly not even close to being achieved in the US and the West, and especially not the rest of the world.

I just think you need to take a step back and examine where all of this anger is coming from and whether you're really giving an objective assessment of the feminist movement as a whole.
And you need to read some more of those linked articles, particularly the one pointing out the intellectual and moral dishonesty in comparing feminism to the Black civil rights movement.

And I see you're pushing the "oh, he must have had a bad experience and that makes him irrationally angry towards a whole group" line of reasoning. Sadly, most people will buy into it hook, line and sinker.
Old March 20 2013, 03:36 PM   #30
Avon
Fleet Captain

you realise you've jumped into a thread about whether someone should study something and shouted 'it's all lies!!!'

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Closed Thread